Women Heroes of the Soviet Union - Hermann vs RKhan (no Hermann)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

RKhan

Women Heroes of the Soviet Union - Hermann vs RKhan (no Hermann)

Post by RKhan »

Hello again to all! I have missed writing my AAR but now I'm back.

The standard stuff:

Server game
Alt VC260
Locked HQ Support
Full FOW

House Rules:

No Para drops
No bombing of air bases more than 3 times a turn (after turn 1)
No bombing of HQ's unless stacked with a ground unit
No naval invasions before November 1941, none outside the 1939 Soviet borders before January 1943
In addition if Sevastopol is either isolated, or in German hands, none west of the Crimea.
30 day rule = no turns in 30 days by one player the other wins by default except as agreed in advance (summer holiday)
New official Patches will be used as soon as possible.

Additional Auto VC:
If the Axis player holds
Leningrad, Moscow, Voronezh and Rostov concurrently at any time in 1941 he wins an Auto Victory.

NON Random Weather (this was originally posted incorrectly)
Soviet attack +1

Hermann was a gentleman and, in addition to the +1, selected full blizzard in respect of my limited experience even though I did not request it. Thank you Hermann.

I don't think Hermann needs an introduction on this forum as he has been around for years playing both sides. I hope I'm up for the challenge.

I have been reading a lot of Soviet history and discussing it with my wife (bless her). We are both struck by the number of kick ass women who fought and struggled on the Soviet side. This AAR is dedicated to them.
RKhan
RKhan

The Diary of Anna Ratkevich - 22 June 1941

Post by RKhan »

22 June 1941

Today I am at war.

Or more properly, we are all at war.

Struck dumb we listened to the announcement over the speakers. No one could meet another’s eye, nor even gasp as the words were spoken. Only when it was over did we stare at each other.

Gregori took my hand and we walked quickly, as if the Germans were around the corner and not hundreds of kilometres away. We sought cover.

Next month we were to be married. Now he will join the army in the morning. What does the future bring? Our thoughts return the struggles of the Great War and those that came after. As a small girl I caught the chill of fear from my parents; it seeps out again now.

Gregori chants the words of the announcement as if they were a talisman:
“Our fight is right the enemy will be defeated. Victory will be Ours!”

RKhan
RKhan

The Diary of Anna Ratkevich - 23 June 1941

Post by RKhan »

23 June 1941

Gregori is gone.

He went with the other men to the local market square. I snapped a photo and ran. I’m such a coward.

Attachments
recruitment.jpg
recruitment.jpg (2.66 MiB) Viewed 490 times
RKhan
boudi

RE: Women Heroes of the Soviet Union - Hermann vs RKhan (with Hermann)

Post by boudi »

I'm playing a server game as soviet against a player called "Hermann", sure it could be the same player. I'm a rookie and i'm affraid to understand that he is an well experienced player. He can return a a turn few hours after i played my own game, while i need 2 or 3 days for playing a turn.

I will follow this AAR with pleasure and interest.

Nice idea to dedicace your AAR to soviet women who served in red army. I remember the story of this women AA gun company, who stop a long time some panzers https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1077th_An ... t_Union%29 or this woman pilot called "the Rose of Stalingrad" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lydia_Litvyak . Thank you for them.

RKhan

RE: The Diary of Anna Ratkevich - 26 June 1941

Post by RKhan »

26 June 1941

If I stay here much longer I will go crazy. I go out for a walk.

A poster on the street strikes me as I walk among the bustle of people preparing, working, carrying on. I stare at it a while then make my way to the recruiting station without thinking.

My studies at Lomonosov University have given me special status. The recruiter tells me I will go to Moscow. There is great need for people like me to help run the war. My father’s party membership has probably helped as well.

There is word from my sister at Minsk. She says they are all very brave. She has joined the Komsomol. No one knows what is happening, the rumours are wild and make no sense.

Tomorrow I report for my new job.

Attachments
large_wars..st_00001.jpg
large_wars..st_00001.jpg (107.32 KiB) Viewed 490 times
RKhan
RKhan

The Diary of Anna Ratkevich - 27 June 1941

Post by RKhan »

27 June 1941

I am stunned. I don’t know what to write. I will tell it as it happened.

I reported for my new job at the recruitment center and immediately was sent by tram to the Kremlin. It was thronged with mobs of people going in and out, and surrounded in turn by more mobs building defences against air attack. Finally, I made my way to the party official I was sent to find. He asked me many questions, about my family and my thoughts on the party. He then took me deep inside the labyrinth to a large wooden door with 2 soldiers standing guard. A knock on the door, then “enter.”

I am standing before Comrade Stalin! The party official is speaking, but I hear nothing. Again it is explained to me. I am to be the great leader’s assistant and note taker. A new organisation, the GKO, has been created. I faint and awake later in the canteen.

(portrait from the walk of Anna's flat, presented to her father)

Attachments
Stalin_Joseph.jpg
Stalin_Joseph.jpg (14.93 KiB) Viewed 490 times
RKhan
RKhan

Post by RKhan »

ORIGINAL: boudi

I'm playing a server game as soviet against a player called "Hermann", sure it could be the same player. I'm a rookie and i'm affraid to understand that he is an well experienced player. He can return a a turn few hours after i played my own game, while i need 2 or 3 days for playing a turn.

I will follow this AAR with pleasure and interest.

Nice idea to dedicace your AAR to soviet women who served in red army. I remember the story of this women AA gun company, who stop a long time some panzers https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1077th_An ... t_Union%29 or this woman pilot called "the Rose of Stalingrad" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lydia_Litvyak . Thank you for them.

Probably the same person. After I reorganise the Soviet army my turns only take 2 hours so perhaps it will be a good match. I will try to incorporate your links into the story.
RKhan
HardLuckYetAgain

Post by HardLuckYetAgain »

Random Weather
Soviet attack +1

Hermann was a gentleman and, in addition to the +1, select full blizzard in respect of my limited experience even though I did not request it. Thank you Hermann.

WoW!!! From the last AAR you didnt need it but hey, take what you can get :-}.
German Turn 1 opening moves. The post that keeps on giving https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 1&t=390004
RKhan

The Diary of Anna Ratkevich - 29 June 1941

Post by RKhan »

29 June 1941 (T1)

I sit for hours and all they do it argue!

Z is loudest. He says we are lucky that the Germans did not cut off Lvov, and now is the time to press the attack. T points out that we have no news from anyone west of Minsk, and Riga is under siege. It is hardly the time to attack. He thinks a full retreat to the Dnepr and Luga is needed before we lose the more armies.

S says little. He looks stunned, having recently returned from outside the city. It is up to Sh to strive for a consensus, but it won't happen. Finally he orders an orderly retreat to the Velikaya, Berezina and Goryn. Some counter attacks near Rovno will try to put some pockets back into contact.

Gregori writes to say he is heading west of the Dnepr towards Minsk. There is no word from my sister in Minsk. It scares me to think about, so I spend all my time at work.

The situation maps, North, Center and South at STAVKA showing the location of units post orders.

RKhan
sillyflower

RE: The Diary of Anna Ratkevich - 29 June 1941

Post by sillyflower »

Looks like the weakest offensive in the South that I have ever seen. Presumably he didn't send any armour south. You are in luck.
web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?
HardLuckYetAgain

Post by HardLuckYetAgain »

Well he did capture Rovno!!!

(I think they may have agreed on no Luv pocket, I would hope with the attached screen shot)
ORIGINAL: sillyflower

Looks like the weakest offensive in the South that I have ever seen. Presumably he didn't send any armour south. You are in luck.
German Turn 1 opening moves. The post that keeps on giving https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 1&t=390004
RKhan

Post by RKhan »

ORIGINAL: HardLuckYetAgain

Well he did capture Rovno!!!

(I think they may have agreed on no Luv pocket, I would hope with the attached screen shot)
ORIGINAL: sillyflower

There was no agreement. He has a strategy, I just don't know what it is. [&:]
RKhan
RKhan

The Diary of Anna Ratkevich - 03 July 1941

Post by RKhan »

03 July 1941 (T2)

So much work, yet we still know so little. STAVKA think the situation will stabilise around the Velikaya and Dnepr, but we still have reports from well west of Kiev in the south.

All the talk is about the reorganisation of the army and air force. Before the war extensive testing was conducted regarding the proper allocation of supporting units. I was asked to type up a summary for STAVKA. I can not make much of it, other than more support is needed for poor commanders. The entire army is being reorganised on the basis of this document.

Also, commanders complain they have no control over their forces and support is not allocated efficiently. S has taken the decision to remove or relegate corps commands across the entire front.

The air force is no longer flying as it too is reorganised into denser formations that can hold their own. It is hoped they will soon be back in the air and take the fight to the aggressor.

And all of this while the Germans continue to advance!

Horrible reports come from Rovno concerning the behaviour of the fascists. Pictures of orphans crying in the streets as the tanks roll through by the regiment have been smuggled out .

There is no news of my family or Gregori.

The opening position, T2
North
Center
South
RKhan
RKhan

The Diary of Anna Ratkevich - 10 July 1941

Post by RKhan »

10 July 1941 (T3)

Reports are making their way in concerning our losses, as well as estimates for German losses. So many of our people dead or captured! And for what. We will meet the fascists with steely determination!

STAVKA puzzles over where the southern German army has gone. Out spies report greater numbers on official documents than we can count on the battle field. What are we missing, they ask? To be safe, T continues to push for a steady withdrawal to the Dnepr. Z is preparing a defence of Smolensk and Vitebsk.

Reports on Air Loses
Reports on Ground Loses
The situation post orders
RKhan
sillyflower

RE: The Diary of Anna Ratkevich - 10 July 1941

Post by sillyflower »

You need to keep a good eye out for where the LW drops fuel. He won't have much petrol in the north or middle without LW support.
web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?
Callistrid

Post by Callistrid »

The soviet army without Lvow pocket are extreemly strong. I'm curious what will Hermann do in this situaton, but the extra troops, and low casulties grant a huge snowball effect.
RKhan, in your side, I fall back with all my troops to the Luga-hills, Vyazma line, and build a massive wall of steen, with lvl 3 forts. On south the Dnyepr line could be hold, and use all cavalry units as reserve troops. Plus send all your AP for better leaders.
RKhan

Post by RKhan »

ORIGINAL: Callistrid

RKhan, in your side, I fall back with all my troops to the Luga-hills, Vyazma line, and build a massive wall of steen, with lvl 3 forts. On south the Dnyepr line could be hold, and use all cavalry units as reserve troops. Plus send all your AP for better leaders.

Getting to L3 forts on the Luga before the Germans show up is a bit problematic unless they dally a bit south of Pskov. I will of course encourage them to do so.

I'm a fan of good leaders and proper levels of support units.
RKhan
RKhan

Special Report North by Anna Ratkevich - (T4-6)

Post by RKhan »

Special Report North by Anna Ratkevich - (T4-6)

This report covers the action in the northern district over a 2 week period.

In the first week the Germans cross the Velikaya in force driving on Pskov.

Attention is drawn to the brave 11th Rifle Division, which by itself has driven off 2 attacks by mobile forces of the enemy. S has ordered that a new unit designation be drawn up to recognise units who display such merit. Unfortunately for the 11th, it won't be available until autumn.

In the next week the fascist continue their drive seeking to pass Pskov on the east. The city must be abandoned or the troops will be at risk.

And in the week after German mobile units try to encircle elements of 7th Independent and 30th Armies.

However, the fascists are themselves encircled in turn.

And so we hope they shall stay until we come to collect their bones.
RKhan
RKhan

Special Report Center by Anna Ratkevich - (T4-6)

Post by RKhan »

Special Report Center by Anna Ratkevich - (T4-6)

The Dnepr River Battle

Z has coordinated a strong defense in the central sector using Reserve and Western Fronts.

In the first week the fascist bring forward their troops to the river line. Mobile units are seen north, center and south of the line.

A small crossing is made in the face of stubborn resistance. The fascist feel they need even more troops brought up. The southern mobile units have moved to the center of the line.

Vitebsk is now untenable for us.

Finally the Dnepr is comprimised by German mobile units.

Our brave forces fall back in good order to the second defense line. Defense line three is already under construction.

May they pay as dearly for the next river!
RKhan
RKhan

Special Report South by Anna Ratkevich - (T4-6)

Post by RKhan »

Special Report South by Anna Ratkevich - (T4-6)

The Defense of Kiev

The fascists approach the thinly defended city of Kiev.

7th Motorised Division sacrifices itself to cut off the German spearhead and buy time for the rest to dig in at Kiev.

Over the next week the Germans bring up troops for an assault. Southwestern Front digs furiously. 7th Motorised is still holding up the fascist - never may they be forgotten!

The Germans attempt to cross south of Kiev.

But they will find they are biting on steel!

All the while our trains steadily move east carrying the factories of the Ukraine.
RKhan

Return to “After Action Reports”