So you don't want to upgrade to Windows 10?

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

RogerJNeilson

So you don't want to upgrade to Windows 10?

Post by RogerJNeilson »

Well here is a nifty little utility to stop it nagging you to do so and possibly upgrading without your say so. Just applied it to my Win 7 Never10

Got it from Lifehacker.

Roger
An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released
wdolson

RE: So you don't want to upgrade to Windows 10?

Post by wdolson »

I manually disabled the update KB3035583 (I'm pretty sure that's the number) on all my computers. That prevents the tray icon to install Win 10 from getting installed. This is almost as bad as Apple putting that U2 album on everyone's devices whether they wanted it or not.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

I manually disabled the update KB3035583 (I'm pretty sure that's the number) on all my computers. That prevents the tray icon to install Win 10 from getting installed. This is almost as bad as Apple putting that U2 album on everyone's devices whether they wanted it or not.

Bill
Apparently that method will get overturned each month by Microsoft. Never10 deals with several additional registry settings.
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

I guess it does from time to time. I just noticed it was enabled again. Makes me want to switch to Linux.

Bill
Trugrit

Post by Trugrit »

Looks like there is a utility for this problem - GWX Control Panel.
I don’t have windows 10 so I don’t know if it is a good solution.

Got this off my favorite small business Blog Site:
http://www.coyoteblog.com/coyote_blog/2 ... -code.html

"A man's got to know his limitations" -Dirty Harry
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

I'm an optimist and have had windows since 3.1..(Still upset it did not play my DOS games which it promised to do...sans add ons to "make" them run).

I upgraded to 10 from Win7 and it was fine for about 2 months.
With each "update", it got clunky and finally locked me out of the darned thing.
Took it to the IT guys and was told it would be cheaper to buy a new computer with 10 already installed.

I was fortunate to find pretty much the same HP Pavilion for $250 less than the older one.

With all new computers, it takes a while to get the new one broke in with all the programs I want.
(Thank God for external drives)...

Dad used to say to only take advice from one in a position to give it.

I advise not to upgrade if you can avoid it, but to replace the computer when you can afford it, but absolutely invest about sixty bucks into at least one external HD to save your programs.

sanderz

Post by sanderz »

If you want to avoid buying a new PC your best bet is to do the win10 upgrade (this must be done first) and then download the win10 ISO from Microsoft and do a complete new ilnstall. This has the downside of wiping everything BUT you do have a clean new install of win10 just like on a new PC.
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

I have one computer I have been continuously upgrading since 1995. The motherboard is about 18 months old with a 6 core AMD processor. The hard drives in it are SSDs I bought a year ago. I've been migrating my installed programs from one OS to another all along. I had to reinstall a bunch of stuff after upgrading to Win 2000, but since then I've managed to migrate with few reinstalls.

I have so many external drives for backups I had to put masking tape labels on them to keep them straight. A few months ago I bought a NetGear NAS (http://www.netgear.com/business/products/storage/readynas/) and put it on my home network. I moved most of the stuff on the external drives to the NAS and used up 11 TB of the 16 TB available in a few weeks. I can probably free up a pretty good chunk of disk space by deleting a lot of the unneeded stuff, but I just wanted to consolidate all the stuff on the external drives first.

I'll still have a fair bit stored. I need to store backups of past software projects. I've had to roll back to previous versions enough times I'm paranoid about deleting any old backups, though realistically I'll probably never look at the backups of projects that are no longer active again. I occasionally look at the last version of code in an old project to remind myself how I did something.

It is very handy to always have the entire backup archive at my finger tips whenever I need it.

Bill

Return to “Tech Support”