Overlay of Woody Island updated from news articles

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

ColonelMolerat

Overlay of Woody Island updated from news articles

Post by ColonelMolerat »

After all of the help I've got from these forums, I wanted to try and be useful myself... However, my knowledge of the game, of world militaries, and of military technology is no-where near good enough to be of much use around here.

However, I have lots of time on my hands, and I enjoy Photoshop, so I thought I'd try my hand at making a custom overlay that some people may get some enjoyment out of!

I have taken a Google Maps image of Wooden Island in the South China Sea, and updated it according to the more recent satellite footage found here.

The island's tiny, of course, so you probably won't spend much time zoomed in on it, but as I got more and more obsessed with details it ended up taking quite long enough! I hope it'll be of interest regardless.

There are three overlays you can use - original (from GMap, with gradated edges), updated, and notes. The notes one can be activated after the updated one and will overlay it with information about the updated areas (taken from the article).

Download from Google Drive (~55MB)

Imgur link showing before/after and detail.

A few notes:

I have tried to copy the satellite photos exactly where possible. However, where the resolution has been too grainy, I've copy/pasted buildings of similar sizes from areas with a better picture. If you're better at interpreting satellite footage than me, perhaps there are buildings in places they shouldn't (barracks where berms should be or similar).

Some areas - especially around the runway - I had to invent entirely, to prevent weirdness. For example, the latest satellite photos show only a tiny portion of the runway, which is complete. If I had only have updated this portion, it would have looked bizarre next to the rest of the older, unfinished, runway picture. I've also altered some colours to make disparate areas fit together or look more realistic.

I'm still learning Photoshop, and I'm a military novice - there may well be mistakes and oddities. I'd like to think it's fairly good at least, so if you let me know of any errors, I may try and correct them (depending on how much effort it would take, I've been doing this for too long already!).

I think that's all! I hope at least someone out there enjoys this!

Attachments
Woody Island Final.jpg
Woody Island Final.jpg (126.61 KiB) Viewed 324 times
comsubpac

RE: Overlay of Woody Island updated from news articles

Post by comsubpac »

Looks really great.
ColonelMolerat

Post by ColonelMolerat »

Thanks!! I've got far too addicted to this thing - I've already noticed and corrected one mistake since making this post.

I need a break! I've been spending all of my 'CMANO time' for days making this overlay instead. I'm desperate to get back to actually playing the game!
Dysta

Post by Dysta »

Island expansion and settlement setup is dynamic, so I think you should add time and date in picture and overlay descriptions.
ColonelMolerat

Post by ColonelMolerat »

Brilliant idea!! I almost did, but was worried some of the images that formed the composite may come from slightly different times. I'll add a rough 'time estimate' in the morning.
Hongjian

Post by Hongjian »

Recent Chinese news shows that the typical Chinese IADS combo has been deployed on Woody Island: HQ-9 LR-SAM + HQ-6D SR-SAM + LD-2000 CIWS

No information on their exact position, though. But from the pictures, it seems that they are deployed on or near the shore.
Dysta

Post by Dysta »

Let's just focus on satellite images first. Sometimes the construction of fortification, runway, dock and other facilities are also important for scenarios.
Rudd

Post by Rudd »

Nice ColonelMolerat! It's easy to get consumed by all the different things you can do for/with this sim[:)]
Recent Chinese news shows that the typical Chinese IADS combo has been deployed on Woody Island: HQ-9 LR-SAM + HQ-6D SR-SAM + LD-2000 CIWS
Awesome pics Hongjian, keep'em coming! Love the LD-2000. YLC-6 confirmation also.
ColonelMolerat

Post by ColonelMolerat »

Dysta - I have added the text 'Chinese development of Woody Island, as of late February 2016'. The images range from late 2015-February 2016.

Hongjian - Are those these SAMs, to the North of the island? (I've just copied the info as it appeared in the article I link to)

Rudd - Thanks! Yeah, some of the best games are those you end up spending a lot of time *not* playing! I'm trying to get to grips with Photoshop, so am in love with the overlay feature in CMANO.
Attachments
Example3.jpg
Example3.jpg (152.8 KiB) Viewed 317 times
Vici Supreme

Post by Vici Supreme »

ColonelMolerat, massive job there! Greatly appreciated. [8D]

Since we are posting pics of radars and missiles on Woody Island, I thought I just drop this here. Unidentified radar (possibly YLC-6 in ATC configuration??) on Rocky Island at the supposed ELINT facility.

ColonelMolerat

Post by ColonelMolerat »

Cheers Supreme!

I just had to check - that's visible on the original GMap image. Here it is from above!

Attachments
Example4.jpg
Example4.jpg (276 KiB) Viewed 315 times
Hongjian

Post by Hongjian »

Chinese fortifications on Dongmen/Chigua Reef are now armed.
And not just towed guns, as estimated by western intelligence before; but actually DP naval guns on building mounts, along with their associated fire-control and search radars!

Chingua's structure isnt the only one. The same type of "fortress" has been seen on other artificial islands as well.

It looks like that each "fortress" has four elevated turret-bunkers at each corner, connected with a walkway to the main building. The H/PJ-26/AK-176 naval guns are likely mounted on those turrets connected off the fortresses, while their FCRs are on each corner-mast of the fortress itself. A central tower houses the Seagull-C seaskimmer defense radar.
Additional weapons are HMG mounts and 65mm automated anti-frogmen grenade launchers. A VHF/UHF-band Over-The-Horizon array has been spotted on some islands as well.

It is likely that these fortresses are augmented by the HQ-9/HQ-64 and LD-2000 CIWS IADS combo of woody island when situation requires it. And with YJ-62A AShMs, these fortresses would become true concrete warships.

Now, DB3000 seriously need stationary deck guns, or the complete fortress bunker with four PJ-26s as well.
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

You can add weapons and sensors to any structure in the game.

Thank you very much for this though. Very good info!

Mike
VFA41_Lion

Post by VFA41_Lion »

I feel like this thread just popped up on some Chinese intelligence memo :p
Dysta

Post by Dysta »

ORIGINAL: VFA41_Lion

I feel like this thread just popped up on some Chinese intelligence memo :p
You better be appreciated to have pictures like these comes out for us to make scenarios. The flak tower photographs are capture by Vietnamese fishermen, and being exclusively reported by their local media.

It is indeed getting harder to see the military progress of China by picture because the tighter anti-espionage crackdown is kicking in. More spies/hobbyists are arrested, and they dare not to publish more from many Chinese forums.
Dysta

Post by Dysta »

Put this recent news:

http://www.world-nuclear-news.org/NN-Ll ... 10155.html

...and this 80s book:

https://books.google.com/books?id=1TlOB ... &q&f=false

...Together.

Then China will have a very powerful diplomatic weapon, that using PPVN (Nuclear Power Plant Vessel) to fortify the controlling islands with rich power in the future. If war really happens, those are also very good hostages as well, by either detonate or sink them to make ASEAN countries reconsider about 'the freedom of sea nagivation'.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”