Communist Chinese action limits

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Courtenay

Communist Chinese action limits

Post by Courtenay »

The "Clarification" about Communist Chinese action limits is correct but incomplete.

The clarification reads:
Clarification: Communist Chinese units may not move if China takes a Pass action. This is true even if the USSR does not Pass.
It should read:

Clarification: Communist Chinese units may not move if China takes a Naval, Air, or Pass action. This is true even if the USSR does not Pass.

This is based on a official ruling by ADG.

MWiF correctly implements this.
I thought I knew how to play this game....
Joseignacio

RE: Communist Chinese action limits

Post by Joseignacio »

I gave you some credit, although what you wrote seemed like a nonsense to me, but you are right, this nonsense is endorsed by the FAQ.

I am very surprised that this is so ruled (in the FAQ, obviously it was a late patch).
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Yes, when I first found out that the Communists could not move when the Chinese picked an air, I thought I had found a bug in MWiF. Then I discovered that MWiF was correct, but that there the rules did not explain all the cases.

I am sure that others will be surprised by this rule, so I posted a correction.
I thought I knew how to play this game....
AlbertN

Post by AlbertN »

Well all planes are Nationalist last I remember - and Communists pick the lowest of the action limits of Soviets and China.
Thus if China picks Air, they have 0 land moves total.

paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Not really. If China takes a Combined and USSR a Land, then all the ChiComms can move.

The point that was clarified was that China has to pick an action that allows land movement.
Paul
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

ORIGINAL: Cohen

Well all planes are Nationalist last I remember - and Communists pick the lowest of the action limits of Soviets and China.
Thus if China picks Air, they have 0 land moves total.

In our games, we have considered that only land units are divided in Communists and Nationalists, so planes were bought for both sides, IIRW. Were we doing wrong?

Or maybe there are specific planes for Communists, I am not sure, but they had planes, I remember arguments about who owned "that chinese bomber" Communists or Nationalists...
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

All planes and ships in the Force Pool are Nationalist. But I've certainly seen Nationalist planes ground striking targets for the ChiComms to make a land attack.
Paul
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

I just spoke to the most veteran in my group, he confirms that there are no markings to differentiate them, and that we played with some for the Communists and some for the Nationalists.

He said it can be the way you say it. And I thought that, if there were no marking in the planes and the production is common, the fact that some were assigned to Communists and some to Nationalists was only his (he was playing China) decision, and it was arbitrary and most probably illegal, since it seems all should have been Nationalists, the only doubt is whether he knew and realized this or not. [8|]

No surprise he sounded somewhat embarrassed.[:@]
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

You can embarrass him further by showing him page 39 in the Scenario book.

The ChiComms do get Artillery if playing with Guns and Divs and may get some planes in PATiF.

Attachments
scnbk39.jpg
scnbk39.jpg (162.15 KiB) Viewed 109 times
Paul
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

:)

Return to “World in Flames”