A FEW QUESTION

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderator: MOD_WarintheWest

gladiatt

A FEW QUESTION

Post by gladiatt »

Not sure of having correctly understand the manual and the differents post in here.

- suppose that i transfer squadron of the RAF Coastal Command in England, some with the Acnhor symbol, flying only Naval Patrol Mission, in Tunisia : say Bizerte or Pantelleria.
Suppose i have emptied this base from others planes, and i change the HQ of the base to avoid mismatch, setting it to Raf Coastal Command.

Will these squadron flying automatically Naval Patrol ? Or do i have to set them ?

Will these Naval Patrol help control the seas around this base ?

A second question, roughly linked to the first one.
I have put interdiction missions around Messina, hoping to stop supply for the defenders (i play Allies against Axis AI). But as you can see, the Ferry hex have no interdiction value. Is there a reason i've missed in the manual ?

Image[/img]

and thanks to especially Harrybanana who already gave a bunch of advice (but there are still things that don't work, but i will ask another time [;)] )
barkhorn45

RE: A FEW QUESTION

Post by barkhorn45 »

1 you have to set up a separate naval interdiction ad for the specific squadrons.
2 I've alway's assumed it's because of the massive amount of flak in the area.
whoofe

Post by whoofe »

there is a ferry mission, and I believe you would need to choose that to interdict the ferry zones
gladiatt

Post by gladiatt »

ORIGINAL: barkhorn45

1 you have to set up a separate naval interdiction ad for the specific squadrons.
2 I've alway's assumed it's because of the massive amount of flak in the area.

thanks for the quick reply [&o]
gladiatt

Post by gladiatt »

can't understand the logistic problems.

Here are the interdiction levels around the 2 ports i've just captured.
The freight in these ports is 0 ; the same apply to catania, captured since 3 turns by the british, but wich have 0 freight.

Image[/img]

Can't undertand what is the problem ?? i believed the supply was supposed to come through sea shipping, across sea with more or less naval interdiction levels. The ports were not used to unload troop so the use of port should be all for the supply.
An idea ?

I suppose my land loss, always around 2000 mens per turn, is related to this problem.

Image[/img]

And still can't undertand why so few results from bombing troops ?

Image[/img]
whoofe

Post by whoofe »

are the ports damaged? if their damage level is 100% you wont be getting supply in through them even if your naval interdiction level is excellent. put your naval task forces into the level 1 and level 2 ports to insta-repair them. level 3 and above ports you need to assign priority repairs

gladiatt

Post by gladiatt »

ORIGINAL: whoofe

are the ports damaged? if their damage level is 100% you wont be getting supply in through them even if your naval interdiction level is excellent. put your naval task forces into the level 1 and level 2 ports to insta-repair them. level 3 and above ports you need to assign priority repairs

Some really good advice here [&o] i have so much to learn !
gladiatt

Post by gladiatt »

ORIGINAL: whoofe

level 3 and above ports you need to assign priority repairs

Can't find information in the manual : except the auto repair rate of ports, and the "priority repair" (that is quit long), is there any way to speed the repair ?
Having a Rail Repair Bn in the port ? A HQ ? Army HQ or Corps HQ ? Many combat unit ?
RedLancer

Post by RedLancer »

Yes - since the manual was printed we have added the ability to attach construction units to cities. Doing so will help together with priority repair but you need space in the hex for the unit to appear on map and do its work.
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

ORIGINAL: gladiatt

Will these squadron flying automatically Naval Patrol ? Or do i have to set them ?

A second question, roughly linked to the first one.
I have put interdiction missions around Messina, hoping to stop supply for the defenders (i play Allies against Axis AI). But as you can see, the Ferry hex have no interdiction value. Is there a reason i've missed in the manual ?

Image[/img]

and thanks to especially Harrybanana who already gave a bunch of advice (but there are still things that don't work, but i will ask another time [;)] )

Couple follow-ups here to make sure you got it.

First, any Naval Patrol unit that is NOT assigned to an air directive will perform AUTO Naval Patrol. It will do this regardless of the HQ of the base it is at. (It is a good idea to make the base HQ the same as the air unit anyway, but it will fly regardless)

As far as interdicting the Ferry Hexes....I have found that even using FERRY interdiction mission, you can't really cut supplies to Sicily via airpower alone. The only way to do it is to park 2 AMPHIB TFs around the Ferry hexes; that will cut them off. Even better, though, just plan a landing in the rear in Italy; once that happens, the will flee Sicily, and the Italians will surrender
FireDog

Post by FireDog »

ORIGINAL: Red Lancer

Yes - since the manual was printed we have added the ability to attach construction units to cities. Doing so will help together with priority repair but you need space in the hex for the unit to appear on map and do its work.

Will you gain any repair speed to a port if you put an amphibious HQ in or adjacent to a level 3 or higher port
RedLancer

Post by RedLancer »

I don't remember that being the case. Half the fun with these games is remembering everything you forget because your brain isn't big enough.
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
FireDog

Post by FireDog »

This game has a lot to remember [:)]
gladiatt

Post by gladiatt »

Thanks for all for the answer and tips.

Another question if i can ?

I didn't found in the manual how to put a unit in reserve ?
- in refit also ?

and have a lot lot more question....but may be for another time [:o]
Devonport

Post by Devonport »

I think what you need is to toggle (on the unit display) the 'Ready' button which will give you the reserve and refit options. 5.2.3 in the manual page 35.
gladiatt

Post by gladiatt »

thanks, find it this way, right !

anyway, i screw every turn of this game against the AI; unable to reach positiv victory point : loosing roughly 2000 mens per turn on attrition and so loosing 2 vp. Unable to have good results against AI german industry. Unable to take Messina. Unable to have good interdiction level [:(]
And very very very late to launch mainland italy invasion. Think i'm not ready, and it start to annoy me....[8|]
whoofe

Post by whoofe »

I wouldn't worry about early turn VP counts. it takes several turns to build up your strat bombing points because it starts out with very little damage. and your city VPs will be very low as well, compared to casualties in taking Messina. that's normal. once you start taking mainland Italy, specially the big cities like Naples, Rome, etc, your city VPs and strat bombing VPs will rise while your casualty losses should remain fairly static from turn to turn.
gladiatt

Post by gladiatt »

When exactly occur an Italien Surrender ?

Rules say that a check is made during the axis logistic phase. But the amphibious phase is after the game tell me "axis logistic phase 100%".
I made (as western allies against AI) a landing on turn 8 near Salerno, but no surrender occurs. Reloaded game from prévious turn 4 times. No surrender occurs. So what ?
Is the test going to take place in the NEXT axis logistic phase ? Wich mean after one entire allies turn ?
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

If all of Sicily is under allied control....there will be a check every logistics phase...starting in August.

If all of Sardinia is under allied control....there will be a check every logistics phase...starting in August.

If any hex in mainland Italy is under allied control....there will be a check every logistics phase...starting in August.

At the moment of an invasion...there will be a check....if the turn is August or later.

For the check, there will be a random(200) roll and if it is greater then the garrison value of all germans farther then 10 hexes from an allied unit (in mainland Italy) then the surrender occurs. There is no roll in July. The value of all Germans is divided by 4 after August.

There will only be one check in the logistics phase..regardless of how many conditions you fulfill. The invasion is a onetime check at the moment of landing.

So what is probably happening is you are either invading in July...so they cant fail the check. Or are invading in August, when the garrison value of the Germans will be at their highest. If I had to guess I would say it is about a 50-50 chance in August, and a near certainty in Sept (and onwards).

If you failed the check in August...play on. You are in mainland Italy, and there will be a check every turn.

EDIT: If the Germans have 200cv worth of units in Italy...(doubtful) then the check will fail until turn 10 when it becomes September, when the garrison will be quartered.
“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great
gladiatt

Post by gladiatt »

And is there only ONE check for the italian surrender, or one on every axis logistic phase ?
If only one check, that mean once the game as decided to f... me up, it's over, the Italian will stay axis....

Return to “The War Room”