Custom Scenarios

Moderator: Jason Petho

Rosseau

Custom Scenarios

Post by Rosseau »

I find it interesting that user created scenarios for Tigers on the Hunt literally exploded upon release, whereas there are almost none for this fine game - unless I am looking in the wrong place. The graphics mods have been wonderful, however.

Admittedly, creating scenarios from scratch is quite a job compared to TotH. In fact, there is an "embarrassment of riches" in the options for CSME scenario designers. However, I think a lot of scenarios were created for JTCS, right?

Secondly, CSME has a great scenario generator to do some of the work. You can of course load that in the editor and finish it off.

This begs the question - why don't I get off my butt and do it? More than time, I don't yet have the skills to submit something to a relatively hard core audience.

Any ideas on promoting more scenario designing would be great. Also, looking forward to the patch.
Jason Petho

RE: Custom Scenarios

Post by Jason Petho »

Good day, rosseau!

Yes, I had noticed that as well.

I think one thing I need to do is build a couple of videos to show just how easy it is to build a scenario with CS Middle East. There is so much potential and a lot of the work is already done for you (mapping, oob research, etc).

On the other hand, we are expecting a number of newly available scenarios within the next few months that convert the original Arab-Israeli War situations.

Additionally, with the 1.02 UPDATE, I will be including some new tournament style scenarios.
berto

Post by berto »

ORIGINAL: rosseau

However, I think a lot of scenarios were created for JTCS, right?
The scenarios in CSME are entirely new to the game. They are not simple ports of earlier scenarios done for Divided Ground (JTCS).
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
Jadasong

Post by Jadasong »

While still very new to this series I was also hoping for more scenarios especially 1973. I have a few ideas in mind but I fear they are too large scale for this level of game. In your considered opinions what scale of battle (nos of troops etc) is the max that would be reasonably playable without being overly burdened? I have oob's for the 1973 Battle of Chinese Farm for example which is likely too big for this game?

Any ideas?
Noypi53

Post by Noypi53 »

The explosion of scenarios for TotH may be due to the availability of ASL scenarios. The ASL information can be easily transformed to TotH scenarios.

Videos as suggested by Jason above will always be welcome. From there, it will now depend on how much info is readily available for making CSME scenarios.
MrRoadrunner

Post by MrRoadrunner »

ORIGINAL: Jadasong

While still very new to this series I was also hoping for more scenarios especially 1973. I have a few ideas in mind but I fear they are too large scale for this level of game. In your considered opinions what scale of battle (nos of troops etc) is the max that would be reasonably playable without being overly burdened? I have oob's for the 1973 Battle of Chinese Farm for example which is likely too big for this game?

Any ideas?

There are lots of opportunities for design in the current system. You can make a scenario as big as you want. Keep in mind the game's scale of 250m per hex and six minute turns (approximately with built in downtime). It really does not matter how big the battle.
Get the map to the size you want and put the units on it. Once battle starts the historical units will do "non-historical" things anyway.
Besides balance in playing head to head there is always designing versus the AI.

To me (I will borrow a phrase from Keith Urban) "I will always take an inspired attempt over a soulless perfection every time."
Enjoy your creation. You may never know if someone else enjoys it too. But, it is worth the try.

RR
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

ORIGINAL: Jadasong

Any ideas?

There really is no limit to what you can design. There are those that prefer absolutely monster scenarios on big maps.

There is a map available that you can cut down to the size that you require for a Chinese Farm scenario. !!Suez_1973_expanded.map That map is the entire northern Sinai, at 250m per hex.

The super large scenarios I have been saving for the future when we have an event editor included with Middle East (another year or so down the road), but you can try a large scenario (any of the complexity 9 or 10 scenarios) to see how it is.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

I see CSME is on the Blitz website, which is great. And yes, I thank all those crazy ASL players for the TotH stuff.

In 30 years wargaming, I have found the meticulously-researched historical scenarios can wind up boring; either because of hindsight, or the battle was one-sided, etc. With CSME, one can create what-if's and completely outlandish scenarios that can challenge the player. The latter may not go over well with the historical grognards, though [;)]

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”