GD1938 Game 22

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and bitter defeats here.

Moderator: Vic

cpdeyoung

RE: GD1938 Game 22

Post by cpdeyoung »

8 December 1941

The loss of Kharkov is a sad event. Here is a map of the German's positions after she fell.

Attachments
KharkovLost_T52.jpg
KharkovLost_T52.jpg (69.58 KiB) Viewed 90 times
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

8 December 1941

The USSR recaptured Vladivostok, and took Seoul.

In Europe we stiffened the defenses, but the Germans are strong.
Bombur

Post by Bombur »

With Japan almost defeated by our allies, the British turn their eyes to the Mediterranean Front. The Garrison in Gibraltar was ordered to launch an all out attack against Italian troops, with disastrous results. The RN also cancelled all shipments to French North Africa. Every piece of equipment now is being sent to Egypt to defend against the upcoming Italian offensive.
Brest, Le Havre and Amsterdam remain in allied hands, but German subs are becoming more agressive, and inflicted some losses to troops being ferried accross the Channel, including a few tanks.
British Artillery is bombarding Nantes
Bloody air battle over Antwerp. While the Spitifire IX did very well, with only 40 losses, against 100 Fw-190A shot down (but no Bf-109F), older aircraft suffered in the hands of the Luftwaffe elite pilots. The Whitley, in particular suffered a 50% loss rate (about 150 aircraft). The RAF HQ decided to withdraw this obsolete aircraft from frontline units. Meanwhile, our new fast bomber, the Mosquito B4, a wooden aircraft, able to achieve 600km/h, started operations in the French front, without losses, if this aircraft will be able to evade German fighters, remain to be proved.
In the Far East, Bangkog is being surrounded by British troops, the elite N1K2 Japanese units will fight to the end, it seems. More 10 Spitifires V lost over the Thai capital.
ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

Jan 5th 1942 Germany

The Germans offensive in the south becomes more costly some 120 PZIVg's were lost in the battles to the East of Kharkov, the Soviets still having substantial intact and formidable forces.

The British expand their European bridgehead containing the British is now a very serious matter, for a Germany stretched on two fronts.

Attachments
Germ2.jpg
Germ2.jpg (161.39 KiB) Viewed 90 times
Are we like late Rome, infatuated with past glories, ruled by a complacent, greedy elite, and hopelessly powerless to respond to changing conditions?

ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

Jan 5th 1942 Italy

Gibraltar is given a pounding by Italian Artillery and a ground assault is launched the defenders hold by a slim margin and are in bad shape.

British Submarines are destroyed west of Portugal venturing under the Axis air Umbrella.

The Italians are now deploying to France in order to take the strain off the Germans.

Attachments
Italy2.jpg
Italy2.jpg (200.3 KiB) Viewed 90 times
Are we like late Rome, infatuated with past glories, ruled by a complacent, greedy elite, and hopelessly powerless to respond to changing conditions?

cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

5 January 1942

To help put German losses in perspective the Soviets lost 321 Infantry SFTs to 14 of our enemies. We lost 42 armored SFTs to 13. Across the front we face very powerful forces. City after city finds citizens joining the armed forces in building defenses.

In the Far East Tientsin and Pusan are taken, but Japanese resistance is much tougher with their concentration. This front will not be getting any easier.

The intervention of the great American Democracy is crucial. A dark tide of Fascism threatens the globe. America powerful economy and brave people can roll the dark tide back.
Bombur

Post by Bombur »

Few action for the Britis. Gibraltar evacuated. Offensive against Nantes continues, the city was bombarded.
Bloody air battle over Belgium. Each side loses about 300 aircraft.
Supply losses for Japan increases due to British submarine campaign.
Submarines and patrol aircraft also sink 10 Japanese destroyers.
ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

USA is up
"I would like to propose another fast game, where each player will try and do their turn the day it hits Dropbox. Game 12 was a "fast game" and it went well."

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

I can't recall an instance where I have failed to do my turn the day that I see it on Dropbox. I usually do check every day to see whose turn it is. So lay off me.

ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

February 1942 Germans/Italians

The Germans move from the Dnieper to the Donets and have reached the Don, not a firm foothold but attempts were made to secure the west bank and East bank of the Donets.

The Italians captured Gibraltar and are winding down the Spanish campaign. New fronts to look to, the British are certainly providing lots of choices.

"So lay off me."

You will have to forgive the enthusiasm of a player actually engaged in the game.

I must apologise, The Units are armies consisting of up to 8 Divisions.

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (158.62 KiB) Viewed 90 times

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Alright, I'm completely disengaged now. Find another player. Password 'g'

LJBurstyn

Post by LJBurstyn »

HUH?
ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

"I can't recall an instance where I have failed to do my turn the day that I see it on Dropbox. I usually do check every day to see whose turn it is."

From Dropbox records

Turn 52
USA received turn 22/3 7:52 pm
played turn
24/3 10:36

Turn 53
USA received turn 26/3 11:50 am
played turn
28/3 12:02 pm

This goes back some ways granted many turns were played on time.

Now I get that over three days is not tardy by most PBEM standards I have played with worse but the description of this game was fast game. With rules outlined by cpdeyoung. Truth is that players that sling the lead tend to want out for various reasons they are not doing well, or they have made a mistake in the game as the USA clearly has by not rolling to break neutrality. Point is this slowing down can literally add months to the length of the game not fair on the players who are actually enjoying the game, and the taking the ball away mentality indicative of a childish attitude. I tend to fight harder to make up for a error not bail, pretending that my feelings are hurt.

ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

If Baloo1777 would like to take over the USA, we can get this game over quickly, its a big ask and I would understand if he was unwilling to take on the extra work, two powers can be hard work, and to be honest the Allies are already handicapped by a USA that may not enter the war until 1944. The Allies may argue that cpdeyoung's Soviets Baloo's Chinese and Bombers British/French will win the war without the USA anyway.

baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 »

I am sorry to lose the USA player. I've pbem against gwgardner previously in TOF and found him to be a very good opponent. I am wondering how the Japanese player would feel about the Chinese taking over the USA? I am willing to do it to keep the game going. I will wait to hear from the other players. As a thought, what if the USA was kept neutral for the rest of game (if that is possible)?
JRR
ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

Thanks Baloo7777 if Larry is unhappy with a player taking on China and USA he will most definitely say, then we will have to look for a USA player, as it is from a Japanese point of view the late entry of the USA into the war can only be good news. Though having the Bear and the Dragon snapping at his heels are bad enough without adding the eagle.

Bombur

Post by Bombur »

I offer to take the USA and keep it neutral forever. The Chinese player, of course, could do the same.....
Bombur

Post by Bombur »

Of course, gwgardner could always reconsider his decision, but if he doesn´t, then I vote for USA to remain neutral, why me or baloo777 take the USA regime just to keep the game going on, while keeping the country neutral. I believe that both sides have a chance to win without the USA, but the USA entry in war will decide the game....so.....
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

What exactly is it with the US? Why can't they enter the war until 1944? I haven't been following enough i think...
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

Not sure about neutral however that is up to the British and Chinese, whatever the British or Chinese organise it's fine with me whatever keeps the game ticking over.

"What exactly is it with the US? Why can't they enter the war until 1944? I haven't been following enough i think..."

May not be as late as that I think the chance was 19% last turn so may be some time in 1942 or possibly into 1943 but the later they arrive it always takes the US a year or so to get into Europe with enough force to make a difference, that means 1944 before they are a effective force in Europe. No one had explained the importance of playing the break neutrality card to the US player so it simply was not used until a couple of turns back.

Return to “After Action Reports”