challenge of 1941 GC v A.I.

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

Eparxos

challenge of 1941 GC v A.I.

Post by Eparxos »

Just finished the 1944 GC as Germany and managed a borderline major victory. This was my first grand campaign game. Loved the game, and am now considering to start the 1941 campaign. I don't like to get invested though if it is going to be a steamroll over the AI.
In other words, is the 1941 GC challenging playing Germany vs Soviet AI for someone who managed to avoid defeat in the 1944 scenario?
robinsa

RE: challenge of 1941 GC v A.I.

Post by robinsa »

To have a good game against the computer give yourself some restrictions. For example, fight the computer head on and avoid making huge encirclement to deplete his armies. This will give you a more interesting game imo.
heliodorus04

Post by heliodorus04 »

Settings are essential to giving the Soviet AI a solid foothold for defense.

First, turn down every setting on the German side to 95 or 90 (except Admin points). This is a decent way to keep the German side from being able to exploit the worst of the logistics abuses you can leverage against the AI.

Next, set everything on the Soviet side to 110 to 115. This gives the Soviet AI enhanced logistics and morale that help it considerably when it comes to surprising the German player with re-opened encirclements. You can try giving the AI the +1 attack bonus and see how you feel about it (it can be a bit much with the other settings I'm mentioning).

Minimize your use of HQ Buildup - it you want to surprise the AI with giant encirclements, you may find yourself bored when the AI can't muster anything but empty brigades for defense. I do use it nowadays, but for realistic purposes, not fantasy encirclements that cover 25 hexes in depth and 25 in height.

That's about it. I've been playing the Soviet AI exclusively for years, and I love it.
Fall 2021-Playing: Stalingrad'42 (GMT); Advanced Squad Leader,
Reading: Masters of the Air (GREAT BOOK!)
Rulebooks: ASL (always ASL), Middle-Earth Strategy Battle Game
Painting: WHFB Lizardmen leaders
Eparxos

Post by Eparxos »

I was going to include the original +1 attack for the soviets anyways.

So, in other words set the game to challenging with the exception of admin points (maybe I boost them to better organize the OoB or is it too much?).

Or do you mean to have those changes for the first couple of turns only and then equalize them? I generally prefer both opponents to play on even terms.
Also I intent to have the scripted weather up until 1942 and then change it to random.
heliodorus04

Post by heliodorus04 »

I play with my German admin set to 400 %. But that's ridiculous. I just find it far easier on me to manage my forces when I don't have to super micro-manage my admin points. It helps me re-organize Army Group South, the dumb Romanians, and to put SUs exactly where I want them quickly in 1941. I do NOT abuse HQ Buildup with those admin points - I rarely use HQ Buildup against the AI - it's too easy to abuse it with buildup.

Oh, I also don't do 'factory raiding' - running armor into cities to destroy the industry in it. The better the AI evacuates factories, the better it fights in 43 and beyond (I don't play in expectation that I'll get the 260/290 VPs required).

Remember that you can adjust settings during your single-player experience if you find the Soviet too easy or too hard. For 1941, at a minimum, these are the settings I'd recommend. It makes a 1941 victory almost impossible to get (and if you use the old victory condition minimum - 290 or whatever it was - it IS impossible to defeat the AI on offense).

I use these settings the whole game, and usually I'll get bored and quit a game, or a new essential patch will be released, and I start over.
Fall 2021-Playing: Stalingrad'42 (GMT); Advanced Squad Leader,
Reading: Masters of the Air (GREAT BOOK!)
Rulebooks: ASL (always ASL), Middle-Earth Strategy Battle Game
Painting: WHFB Lizardmen leaders
RKhan

Post by RKhan »

Rather than the AI, consider playing both sides for a interesting experience...
RKhan
swkuh

Post by swkuh »

+1 Heliodorus04... IMO makes historical outcomes likely vs. AI
Disgruntled Veteran

Post by Disgruntled Veteran »

I put Soviets at 400 admin and put German logistics at 70. That keeps you from getting high mp's and with the Soviets you'll notice them building hundreds of rifle Corps in 42.
Still, even with that and no raiding or HQBU, I usually beat the AI by late 42/ early 43.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”