"The other side of the hill"

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Ian R

"The other side of the hill"

Post by Ian R »

(To borrow a phrase from Sir Basil Liddell-Hart.)

I don't know if this has been linked before, but here is an 'ïnteresting' Japanese documentary on the Pacific War.

I hope there were some translation errors in the narration, because if not there are some things presented which are very economical with the truth.

youtube link
"I am Alfred"
Leandros

RE: "The other side of the hill"

Post by Leandros »

ORIGINAL: Ian R

I don't know if this has been linked before, but here is an 'ïnteresting' Japanese documentary on the Pacific War.

I hope there were some translation errors in the narration, because if not there are some things presented which are very economical with the truth.

youtube link

Cool film. Which are the points you react to, please?

Fred
River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3 ... rw_dp_labf
Revthought

Post by Revthought »

ORIGINAL: Leandros

youtube link

Fred

"The Japanese government only sought to liberate the population of Asia from the clutches of Western Imperialism" and "The Japanese Armed Forces treated prisoners of war with a kindness even greater than required by international law at the time" and "the every major battle in the Pacific was a great victory for the IJN"

[:D]

PS This is not an accurate reflection of the video--I don't think. I am at work, and have not had an opportunity to watch it. ;)
Playing at war is a far better vocation than making people fight in them.
Ian R

Post by Ian R »

youtube link

Fred

Hi Fred.

1. Ignores RN's Taranto raid as the seeding for idea of the PH raid;

2. Alleges Nimitz commanded at PH in 12/41 (!?) and learned from the IJN to use carriers, seemingly oblivious to the USN's fleet exercises in the 30s, where the likes of John Towers had demonstrated the burgeoning supremacy of naval air power;

3. Instead pumps up Yamamoto as the wise, and uniquely prescient admiral who was the only person in the world who recognised air power would be all important;

4. Refers to the line of maximum extent of belligerent conquests in the terms - "In May of 1942 the range of national defence expanded as illustrated."

5. There is no mention of the IJ atrocities in 1941/2- apparently torturing and murdering prisoners, including female nurses and other non combatants such as missionaries, had no effect on the resolve of the Oceanic alliance.

6. What happemned to the Battle off Samar? Apparently Kurita's reversal of course is "mysterious", and originated from a "lack of communication". The US Navy had no hand it. Surigao must have happened in a parallel universe or something.
"I am Alfred"
Ian R

Post by Ian R »

ORIGINAL: Revthought

youtube link

Fred

"The Japanese government only sought to liberate the population of Asia from the clutches of Western Imperialism" and "The Japanese Armed Forces treated prisoners of war with a kindness even greater than required by international law at the time" and "the every major battle in the Pacific was a great victory for the IJN"

[:D]

PS This is not an accurate reflection of the video--I don't think. I am at work, and have not had an opportunity to watch it. ;)

Mate, you are not far off. The video really is a crock.
"I am Alfred"
Anachro

Post by Anachro »

If you ever get the chance, Ian, you should visit Yasukuni Shrine in Tokyo. I have. It takes some...liberties with the truth and makes some interesting claims. I might have some pictures somewhere. Actually, I'm planning to head back to Tokyo soon, maybe I'll visit again and get some pics for you all.

Not that the Japanese are the only people guilty of this. We all are to some extent. I also have visited the Chinese People's War of Resistance against Japanese Aggression Museum in Beijing. It's perspective is also interesting.
"Now excuse me while I go polish my balls ..." - BBfanboy
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: Anachro

....the Chinese People's War of Resistance against Japanese Aggression Museum in Beijing. It's perspective is also interesting.
A very PC way to phrase it ... but Mao had a big hand in it ...
Pax
Anachro

Post by Anachro »

Yes, just wait till you see some of the exhibits and their descriptions inside of it...
"Now excuse me while I go polish my balls ..." - BBfanboy
Ian R

Post by Ian R »

ORIGINAL: Anachro

If you ever get the chance, Ian, you should visit Yasukuni Shrine in Tokyo. I have. It takes some...liberties with the truth and makes some interesting claims. I might have some pictures somewhere. Actually, I'm planning to head back to Tokyo soon, maybe I'll visit again and get some pics for you all.

Not that the Japanese are the only people guilty of this. We all are to some extent. I also have visited the Chinese People's War of Resistance against Japanese Aggression Museum in Beijing. It's perspective is also interesting.

Let me know when you are going, I'll send you a photo of my great uncle Hector, who was criminally murdered on the Burma railway in 1942. Perhaps they could put that in a place of honour and pay respect to it.

It's the intellectual dishonesty of it that is most galling. For a culture that asserts it favours honourable conduct, the historical propensity for criminal actions, and current propensity for mendacity is truly revealing.
"I am Alfred"

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”