Chinese Corps split, parent unit placed in respawn queue

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Lokasenna

Chinese Corps split, parent unit placed in respawn queue

Post by Lokasenna »

This happened... A month ago, this unit was happily one whole Corps, hanging out in the mountains and not telling me they were still marching somewhere I didn't want them to go. However, they were the parent unit.

After the fun march, I split them. The parent unit then got sent to the respawn queue, which is preventing me from rebuilding the unit. If I controlled Chungking or Chengtu, this would actually be beneficial - free squads! I don't control Chungking or Chengtu, therefore this parent unit can't spawn and I can't rebuild the unit.

But basically, this shouldn't have happened. I could try to track down a save from the turn where I split them, but I'm not sure how reliably this can be reproduced. Another Corps in the same hex in similar status did not have this issue.

Attachments
Chineserebuildbug.jpg
Chineserebuildbug.jpg (138.86 KiB) Viewed 121 times
Lokasenna

RE: Chinese Corps split, parent unit placed in respawn queue

Post by Lokasenna »

Here is a save prior to this occurrence, which has the 32nd Chinese Corps in "full."
Attachments
wpae015.zip
(4.11 MiB) Downloaded 8 times
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

Here is a save after the occurrence, from which the above screenshot was taken.
Attachments
wpae043.zip
(4.14 MiB) Downloaded 9 times
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

Yes either a parent or the split units should be visible, not both. I will check it out over Easter.
Michael
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

Unable to get it to happen. I suspect that a fragment some how existed and swapped with the parent, which was offmap and put into the queue.
Michael
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: michaelm

Unable to get it to happen. I suspect that a fragment some how existed and swapped with the parent, which was offmap and put into the queue.

Let me track down the day that it occurred. I have the save files in my email but will need the exact date in order to find it. I don't know why it happened. The unit was complete/whole, and I had them set to march to Paoshan. They shock attacked across the river and got beaten up pretty badly, so I divided the unit to speed up recovery/replacement time, which you can see as there are /A, /B, and /C units present. I would not have been able to do this if there was a fragment somewhere - the Divide Unit button would have been unavailable, and the Unit Organization button would have been shown instead. Likewise, after splitting the unit into A/B/C, it's not really possible to get a fragment broken off from that to become the parent unit while the unit is at an enemy base without a port (can't airlift anything out, for example).

I know you know all of these things, I'm just laying it out so that it's obvious to all.

I'm curious if, once I download the turn this occurred by splitting the unit, doing the split again causes the same thing to happen or if it behaves correctly this time.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

Here is the unit on the turn that I split them, June 10.

Attachments
Chinesere..dbug02.jpg
Chinesere..dbug02.jpg (100.9 KiB) Viewed 121 times
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

Here is the turn file for that day, which is under version 11.25.8 (not the latest).
Attachments
wpae011.zip
(4.11 MiB) Downloaded 5 times
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

Here is what happens when I click 'divide unit' (admittedly, under 11.25.9, but not sure why that would matter here...).

Attachments
Chinesere..dbug03.jpg
Chinesere..dbug03.jpg (55.83 KiB) Viewed 121 times
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

OK, that's not the turn that I split them. I'm going through individual turns from my emails now. Looks like I forgot to do it immediately [:D].

I didn't split them until June 21, 1944...

Attachments
Chinesere..dbug04.jpg
Chinesere..dbug04.jpg (104.44 KiB) Viewed 121 times
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

Turn attached for June 21, 1944. Splitting was done on June 20, 1944 turn - so this shows the turn after, from which that screenshot was taken.
Attachments
wpae031.zip
(4.12 MiB) Downloaded 6 times
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

I am still able to rebuild on June 22, however on June 23 the parent unit got sent to the queue with 30 days to respawn. Turn file for June 22 attached here.
Attachments
wpae032.zip
(4.13 MiB) Downloaded 7 times
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

Turn file for June 23 attached. This is the first turn the parent unit is in the queue.
Attachments
wpae033.zip
(4.13 MiB) Downloaded 9 times
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

Was there ground combat in the hex with 32nd on June 22? Don't suppose you have the end of turn for June 22 or combat replay for that turn? Something happened after the in turn save and before you got the next turn.
I can probably correct this on save load as the parent can only be active if no sub-units (A/B/C).
Michael
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

Was there ground combat in the hex with 32nd on June 22? Don't suppose you have the end of turn for June 22 or combat replay for that turn? Something happened after the in turn save and before you got the next turn.
I can probably correct this on save load as the parent can only be active if no sub-units (A/B/C).

Not according to my notes, but I will dig up the combat replay file to be sure. It is attached.
Attachments
wpae001.zip
(4.12 MiB) Downloaded 9 times
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

Strange. Somewhere between your 22 June save and the combat replay, the parent unit got marked as destroyed and auto-rebuilt - even date it was killed is 44.06.22 in the combat replay save.
Michael
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

Strange. Somewhere between your 22 June save and the combat replay, the parent unit got marked as destroyed and auto-rebuilt - even date it was killed is 44.06.22 in the combat replay save.

I may have rebuilt and then divided again, although that doesn't normally cause this to happen.
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

This has me hooked. There are 2 ways that it could become 'killed' without combat, but I can't see how it would be applicable here.
I will try a few thing over the week, and if can't find it, then build in some protection on save loads to 'fix' it.
Michael
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

This has me hooked. There are 2 ways that it could become 'killed' without combat, but I can't see how it would be applicable here.
I will try a few thing over the week, and if can't find it, then build in some protection on save loads to 'fix' it.
In case it helps any, until last couple of turns we were using the Beta that was equivalent to the prior official (Dec-'14/Jan-'15). Some months ago I had noticed when I split a division I would get a Tracker message about the parent going into the reinforcement queue with a very large delay (clearly well beyond the end of the game). This was NOT restricted to Chinese units, it affected all. But it certainly applied to Allied units that were in China. I simply do not remember if it also happened with divisions that were outside of China at the time. Because the delay was well past the end of the game, I didn't realize that it was an error (figured the new Tracker version picked it up but the old one had not) so I took no special notice of it.
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

In case it helps any, until last couple of turns we were using the Beta that was equivalent to the prior official (Dec-'14/Jan-'15). Some months ago I had noticed when I split a division I would get a Tracker message about the parent going into the reinforcement queue with a very large delay (clearly well beyond the end of the game). This was NOT restricted to Chinese units, it affected all. But it certainly applied to Allied units that were in China. I simply do not remember if it also happened with divisions that were outside of China at the time. Because the delay was well past the end of the game, I didn't realize that it was an error (figured the new Tracker version picked it up but the old one had not) so I took no special notice of it.
When a parent goes inactive, it gets a dummy delay of 29999. A real destroyed unit get delay of 19999.
Michael

Return to “Tech Support”