Out of Gas Forever?

VR designs has been reinforced with designer Cameron Harris and the result is a revolutionary new operational war game 'Barbarossa' that plays like none other. It blends an advanced counter pushing engine with deep narrative, people management and in-depth semi-randomized decision systems.

Moderators: Vic, lancer

wadortch

Out of Gas Forever?

Post by wadortch »

Hello
PG 1 has now received no fuel for 4 turns. Screenshot of the train situation attached. Note that the PG needs 7 trains to deliver what it needs, as seen in the screenshot the "chokepoint" eats up this number of trains. My relationship with Gerke is Terrible. So is this his doing and is the only way to get fuel flowing back to PG 1 (other than air delivery) to make him happy again?

If so, I suggest that future beta patches should consider a firing squad type card for the Germans!
Attachments
jpeg_dc_3_..city_ags.jpg
jpeg_dc_3_..city_ags.jpg (39.95 KiB) Viewed 106 times
Walt
Gunnulf

RE: Out of Gas Forever?

Post by Gunnulf »

Fuel for AGS is almost always going to be the tightest. You have 50% further to go to Rostov in comparison to the other objectives, and even if you convert rail at a good pace its still going to stretch your rail effort. As far as I'm aware aside from early on when you can rest and motorise your workers every other event will slow down the conversion rate, and once its lost, its gone (which seems a shame that as chief you are powerless to inject resources). With care it is possible to get 1 PzGp to Rostov and beyond, however I would never (again...) allow extra artillery ammo for AGS. Thats a massive -8 (or -4) to your capacity (which you can't reverse - which again seems strange). Without that you would be just in balance right now, and with further conversion reducing your rail effort you would improve slightly further. But with a -8 deficit it will take ages before the fuel flows, if at all. You might be able to shift your FSB back west if you are lucky and reduce the rail effort, but usually not.
Luckily (from experience of being stuck like this...) it is perfectly possible to grind to Rostov with infantry alone, but the Panzers are going nowhere fast anytime soon.
AGC you can usually get away with some extra artillery ammo for a -4 modifier, and AGN can cope with a -4 or -8 for extra artillery, but I usually chicken out and keep to -4.
"Stay low, move fast"
wadortch

Post by wadortch »

Thanks Gunnulf for the response.

Great insight re the ammo increase and its effects and agree, there should be opportunities to undo these kinds of things.
Will press on with the infantry who are not doing too badly.

More generally, here's to hoping that Vic and Cameron are considering some additions to the command side of the game to deal with situations like this!
Walt
lancer

Post by lancer »

Hi Wardortch,

The trains lost to the 'Chokepoint' are a result of not having full German gauge rail through to your FSB. The entire cargo has to be offloaded at the chokepoint (typically in less than ideal conditions) and reloaded onto Soviet gauge locos' and rolling stock.

It's not a given and has a % probability attached to it.

Back on the day it was, at times, a major drama and there was one instance of a choke point in AGN being so bad, and for such an extended period, that the Führer was notified about it.

The rail conversion battalions were in critical short supply from the start of the campaign and for the duration of '41 (they made serious efforts to do something about it past this point). There were no spares in the cupboard although it's on my list to provide that option if you run dry.

Cheers,
Cameron
wadortch

Post by wadortch »

Hi Cameron and thanks for the reply.

Going on 6 turns now, relationship with Gerke now at -64 which I see produces a +15% chance the chokepoint will stay choked.

I expect Runstedt would have ordered Gerke taken out (or played a I will make you famous if you fix this card) and/or called Adolf directly at this point!

Walt
lancer

Post by lancer »

Hi Wadortch,

Von Runstedt probably didn't have the authority to remove Gercke as he had official positions in both OKH and OKW.

It's another one of the fault lines built into the German Command Structure (splitting control over logistics between two people/organisations instead of one) that cost them dearly.

Cheers,
Cameron

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa”