Command v1.11 Release Candidate (CURRENT: RC22 - B823)

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

mikmykWS

RE: Command v1.11 Release Candidate (CURRENT: RC1 - B802)

Post by mikmykWS »

ORIGINAL: BrianinMinnie

MikMyk

A follow-up to what Mikewritesfic wrote.

I’m a civie with past aspirations of military greatness, that being said, I greatly enjoy the ability to micro if I want to or let the generals\admirals do the deciding. I think this game is sort of about figuring out how to make the Tech and Tactics work best at making war. I don’t worry much about geo-political aspect or real lives being lost, it’s a game right? I’m appreciative and willing to let the real sailors, airmen and soldiers do the "warfighting" while I’m having a blast with a great Sim.

Keep up the great work gang!

Thanks
Brian

Honestly we have a bunch of pro customers and contributors who seem pretty positive about what we're doing. None of them seem to have a chip on their shoulder or spend time on social media talking about their day jobs in the context of belittling other people. None of them have tried to bully their way into this project. Fact they're all pretty cool.

This guy acts like a jealous little kid who thinks we work for somebody or he can get us fired etc. We very much own the game and its direction and can choose who we work with. He can certainly keep trying to make us miserable but that is the only power he has. The fix is to just ignore. Facebook already has a great ignore feature which I've already turned on which is likely why he's posting here and over at Groghead's[;)]

If he wants to help. He can. Just be positive and act like a normal freakin person. This genre has already suffered greatly to kooks.

Mike
Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

ORIGINAL: iborg

ORIGINAL: Mikewritesfic

Not a bad update. Lots of useful new goodies, but I'm worried that the developers are turning the game into a micromanager's paradise. A lot of the new choices are not things that senior commanders have to worry about. They're more for squadron COs or ship captains. It's beginning to become obvious that a lot of the developers are tech guys. Hope you have a few decent warfighters in there as well.

Actually, it is important for scenario designers. The more options, the more intricate and complex the AI behavior can be set.

On RC 2 : hotkey for adding planes/boats yay ! [&o]

+1

The range of options is useful because, among other things, there are different styles of scenario design. Some scenario writers will hardly ever need certain options but for others it allows them to write entirely new kinds of scenarios. And, after all, the game always comes with default settings...if you are not interested in using a certain option, don't use it. You can just let the game use the default settings.

By the way, since you can now tweak fuel and weapon behaviors by unit, it is worth noting that the developers have added personalities. Different pilots, after all, might be more or less aggressive, more or less willing to take risks, more or less willing to go after an opponent when they only have guns left, and so on. Mikewritesfic mentioned that "this is more for squadron COs..." and, well, yes. I think that's the point. Some scenarios put the player in the role of CINCLANT. Some put them in the role of a colonel with a mission that he has to complete with a dozen Phantoms and just enough bombs and missiles for a grand total of two dozen sorties. Command already lets you design and play both kinds of scenarios but it just got even better.

Dysta

Post by Dysta »

It's a very grand idea, but CMANO is not AlphaGo, personalization of unit proficiencies and decision makings will make this game vastly expensive for hardware and AI developings.
SSN754planker

Post by SSN754planker »

ORIGINAL: Mikewritesfic

Not a bad update. Lots of useful new goodies, but I'm worried that the developers are turning the game into a micromanager's paradise. A lot of the new choices are not things that senior commanders have to worry about. They're more for squadron COs or ship captains. It's beginning to become obvious that a lot of the developers are tech guys. Hope you have a few decent warfighters in there as well.

Tech guys? hmmm...

"Runs into basement to find old sea bag, rummages thru 21+ years of whites and blues and just plain uglies...tosses aside a few old radiation badges and old manuals on the AN/BQQ-10 system. (now how did those get in there?) Keeps digging past a stack of Janes encyclopedias...AHA!!!!!! i found it!

My tech guy badge! I knew i kept it after all these years!
MY BOOK LIST
ST1/SS SSN 754
FTBSS

Post by FTBSS »

Nice to know another ex-bubblehead in here. I love tech stuff I think it's actually a trait that drives alot of the passion for modern sims. How Tech affects strategies and operations. I think the development team actually Hit a perfect balance of showcasing Modern Tech since end of WW2 and how it has impacted the way modern air forces and navies operate. That they keep updating this obvious labor of love for them to the point where it has reached now with working ports working refueling ai loadouts affecting aircraft performance, weather effects on performance of both sensors and weapons. This Sim has come so far since it's release, in fact it almost feels like a different game so realistic. I just hope the team is hard at work on the next Campaign so I can reward their hard work with my consumer dollars, I love rewarding dedicated developers, This team is the most responsive and hardest working group I have ever witnessed in this genre.
lowchi

Post by lowchi »

ORIGINAL: FTBSS
This Sim has come so far since it's release, in fact it almost feels like a different game so realistic. I just hope the team is hard at work on the next Campaign so I can reward their hard work with my consumer dollars, I love rewarding dedicated developers, This team is the most responsive and hardest working group I have ever witnessed in this genre.

Couldn't agree more! The amount of support and updates from the devs are unbelievable and this should not be taken for granted.

Two years ago (!) I spent 80 bucks once,and since then I get constant updates and new features for free!!

I really appreciate this and wait for the next Dlc to give something back! [:)]

tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

I agree with you there... this is a labor of love more than a profit product. And that shows.
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
Kitchens Sink

Post by Kitchens Sink »

I think that a lot of the new tools in v 1.11 (that some might consider "micromanaging" features) make it much easier for people who design and write CMANO scenarios to create very smart and powerful AI-side opponents for the human players to try to defeat.

This stuff is great. Thanks to the developers!
schweggy

Post by schweggy »

I’ll chime in here, although I seldom post on forums or FB due to the trolls. I’ve been in the US Federal IT world for almost 30 years. I’ve worked for and with military professionals, academics (the worst), accountants, cartographers, and general US Government lackeys during this time. I have significant knowledge in how the Fed does IT, and, generally, it sucks. But I will say this; the folks involved in the development of Command are doing a stellar job. The development cycle is very agile, relies on customer input, and is responsive to critical issues. Many commercial enterprises such as Microsoft, Apple, Oracle, etc. would die to have the development cycle these people sustain. It’s awesome.

As in any social media environment, there will always be people who have no filters about what they post on-line. In my opinion, it’s a sickness. I seriously doubt they do this in their place of employment, if such exists. It’s hard to ignore under any circumstances. They do however need to be slapped down hard. It’s probably the only thing they understand.

The Dev team at Matrix accomplishes in months what our illustrious government does in years. That is something to consider…

- schweggy -

Montani Semper Liberi - Mountaineers are always free
stilesw

Post by stilesw »

I have to agree with schweggy 100%. I started with software development in 1967 - card oriented FORTRAN on a huge IBM system. Continued with software/system engineering for 20 years in the USAF and another 15 years as contract IT support. Your comment - "I have significant knowledge in how the Fed does IT, and, generally, it sucks. But I will say this; the folks involved in the development of Command are doing a stellar job." - says it perfectly. Very few organizations could develop systems as complex as CMANO while constantly responding quickly to user requests. All this while keeping a positive attitude and an even temperment. (However, I do miss seeing comments from "thewood" when they were deserved)! Superb work CMANO team - kudos to all of you.

-Wayne Stiles
“There is no limit to what a man can do so long as he does not care a straw who gets the credit for it.”

Charles Edward Montague, English novelist and essayist
~Disenchantment, ch. 15 (1922)
AdmiralSteve

Post by AdmiralSteve »

ORIGINAL: Mgellis
Some scenarios put the player in the role of CINCLANT. Some put them in the role of a colonel with a mission that he has to complete with a dozen Phantoms and just enough bombs and missiles for a grand total of two dozen sorties. Command already lets you design and play both kinds of scenarios but it just got even better.

This is absolutely the best reason to having this simulation. Every military operation has a well defined Chain of Command that sets up very well in CMANO. One does this by setting up several sides, all friendly to each other, yet operate independently. One can take it a step further and make one of the sides neutral which adds another dynamic to the scenario. Submarines often operate without interaction from other friendly forces and this can be done very well in Command by using the "neutral" posture.
A player can build a scenario depicting Operation Deliberate Force and play the side of Admiral Leighton Smith, COMNAVSOUTH, and just control the ROE, WRA, EMCON and let several other friendly sides play itself. I think though that this would be boring but it can be done. One can take it down a step and play the commander of a CSG and control 7 to 10 ships and a hundred aircraft. One more step down would be controlling just the carrier or a squadron of CG's or DDG's. I've designed scenarios with more assets being played by the AI that were friendly to the side I was playing that performed 90% of the strike missions but I performed 100% of the ECM and SEAD strikes. It's quite rewarding playing this way since I feel it allows the player to be a team player rather than an Admiral who really sits in his ready room on a carrier barking out orders to thousands of ships and aircraft.
This simulation blew me away at V1.0 and with V1.11 I'm in complete awe at the flexibility one has in scenario design.
“There are no extraordinary men...just extraordinary circumstances that ordinary men are forced to deal with.”
Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr. 1882-1959

ComDev

Post by ComDev »

Thanks guys [8D]

Developer "Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations" project!
Gunner98

Post by Gunner98 »

This looks excellent guys. Hope to get at it in a couple days. Well done as always.

B
Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

Command v1.11 Release Candidate 3 - Build 804
======================================================================

Superseded by RC4 - Build 805: fb.asp?m=4049060

CHANGES/ADDITIONS FROM v1.11 RC2 - B803
=====================================================================

Fixed:
#10466 RC2 Crash
#10465 [Build 803] Coil lasershot not engaging growler
#10464 Uncommanded aircraft takeoff - Build 802
#10474 [Build 803] Nukes not getting set off
#10473 Mine-clearing bug?
#10469 Repeatable crash under B802
Fixed: Ignore gun straffing doctrine under manual fire
eleos

Post by eleos »

Hi everyone.
RC3 is running better than previous one but popup window for in coming missile does not work.

Sunburn, my wife hates you....[:)]
Kitchens Sink

Post by Kitchens Sink »

I think the AI side in one of my scenarios just turned into a sentient life form [X(]. Also, my wife left me 3 days ago and I didn't notice because of CMANO. Great job!
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

Thank you very much!
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
peterc100248

Post by peterc100248 »

I just want to take a second and say thank you to all those who labor(ed) on this project. I had despaired when Harpoon went belly up. CMANO has made me forget all about my "Harpoon days." Thanks for the hours of enjoyment. Keep up the good work.
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

Command v1.11 Release Candidate 4 - Build 805
======================================================================

Superseded by Build 806: fb.asp?m=4051650

CHANGES/ADDITIONS FROM v1.11 RC3 - B804
=====================================================================

Fixed:
#9947 [v1.08] Save game changes effects of cluster warheads
#8640 [Build 619] ROV Dragging, fuel and possible crash
#6096 Pluto ROV strange behaviour
#10470 [B801] Magazine refresh issues
#10476 ROVs do not recharge batteries when docked
#10481 [B804]Demining UUV's never recharge batteries
Fixed: Strike Planner waypoint cleanup edge case
Fixed: Excluded delivery unit for nuclear gravity bombs
Fixed: Manual mission altitude edge case
FIXED: Silent crash on "new message" popup window
Fixed: CBU warheads do not save correctly
FIXED: #10470 [B801] Magazine refresh issues

* UI TWEAK: Ship fuel panel now lists the available fuel types. Example: http://i.imgur.com/X5o8odT.png
iborg

Post by iborg »

What, already another build ? This is too fast ! [X(] [:D]

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”