Time to Dance - NATO 2.0.11.2 Beta

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderator: MOD_Flashpoint

Rake

Time to Dance - NATO 2.0.11.2 Beta

Post by Rake »

[font="Arial"]Not much of an AAR, I just didn’t want to step on Stimpak’s fine Warsaw Pact AAR below…

I haven’t been playing this very long (just over a month) as it took a long time to hear about the game. I just played this scenario for the first time last weekend after loading up this last beta version… I most definitely agree that this is far more deadly than the few earlier versions seemed to be.

So, far, I had only played the tutorial (about a half-dozen times) and one other scenario using earlier versions. I played about an hour of Time to Dance as NATO before quitting, as the AI was steamrolling my poor Blackhorse troopers. I was unable to blow the bridges below Camp Lee with the HMMWV teams as they would retreat almost immediately. T-80’s rolled across the bridges and across the Streu in force before I could get enough firepower to slow them down.

Image[/img]

On restart, I used the Recce HQ (Bradleys) to blow the 1615 bridge with the HMMWV’s set to take care of the bridge at Heustreu and the two eastern-most bridges in Bad Neustadt. Blackhorse HQ sped down during the first resolution phase to take care of the remaining southern bridge during the second phase. The Oberstreu (northern) bridge was left intact throughout with a Recce team watching just in case.

Getting the bridges during the first phase was key because it bought just enough time to get reinforcements in. The WP recon element was wiped before they could build a bridge & Eaglehorse M1’s had just enough time to get to the northeast side of Bad Nuestadt and to occupy the ridge to the east of Wollbach before the T-80’s forced the Streu and entered a shooting gallery.

Image[/img]

I think the key for NATO is that the visibility stays good until the WP tanks can be whittled down at range and that NATO stays back from the woods southeast of Camp Lee. This terrain is too close to the 1813 and 1615 crossings and it could be a deathtrap if the Soviets force a crossing in strength... the ridge line to the north allows NATO a covered fallback position.

I thought that the AI might attempt to push the BMP’s toward the southern side of Bad Neustadt once they had secured the south bridge, but the tanks had taken such a pounding that it wouldn’t have made much difference. I kept wondering where the infantry was, because I hadn’t seen any sign of the BMP's until the scenario ended.

Two Soviet T-80 companies just disintegrated when they tried to move into Bad Neustadt from the northeast. I think I remembered counting 9 explosions during one NATO fire and 7 more during another. Still, it felt much more realistic than previous times when (at times) it seemed I would lose a tank for every kill when my guys were in good cover and the OPFOR was crossing open ground. Too, the tempo of the WP attach was off a bit; I had time to rest and resupply in between the easterly attack and the drive up from south of Bad Neustadt... I guess that's what happens when you're lucky enough to get a big jump in orders cycle [:D]

This could easily have been a decisive win had the Floggers not hammered me just before the end or had I decided to play on... [/font]

Image[/img]

budd

RE: Time to Dance - NATO 2.0.11.2 Beta

Post by budd »

This is interesting, with limited orders no less, good job. I played this scenario so many times it aint funny, haven't played for quite a few updates. Wonder whats changed, the best i could ever do was 2 bridges. How many orders did you get on the second cycle, i remember only getting 1 order which was tough because you cant give 2 tasks on 1 order i.e. move here, blow bridge. From the screen shot looks like you blew them all but one, that'll make a difference.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
Rake

Post by Rake »

ORIGINAL: **budd**

How many orders did you get on the second cycle, i remember only getting 1 order which was tough because you cant give 2 tasks on 1 order i.e. move here, blow bridge.

Best I can recall, I got 3... I used one each to have the Bradley & Blackhorse HQ blow a bridge and the third to start moving one of the HMMWV's to the north to watch in that direction.

I don't doubt that I was lucky, in that I picked the right bridge to leave to a later phase to blow. The three HMMWV's are the only units that can be placed on a bridge at the start. Two of the six bridges are located somewhat distant from the Soviet start line. That leaves one that must be blown fairly quickly; I typically try to get the Recce HQ to the one on the south side of Bad Neustadt to prep to blow that bridge during the second resolution phase. Blackhorse HQ can take care of the far SW bridge.

I just played this again using the same basic plan:
1. Blow Bridges as I've described
2. One Tank Co. to Bad Neustadt, one to the ridge east of Wollbach
3. 1 Cavalry troop to Bad Neustadt area (south of Camp Lee), one in reserve

The WP did a much better job this time with the pace of the attack. The BMP's followed directly behind the tanks instead of lagging back. I actually lost the eastern VL in Bad Neustadt (last time I hammered the tanks and held off the assault). But, I was able to counterattack the Heustreu and B279 VL's and re-secure those VP's. It was still a Tactical win, but just barely (67%). The game went about an hour longer, which meant the Floggers hit me 4 times... That was painful [X(]
budd

Post by budd »

Sounds like you get more orders now. I'm waiting for the re-balance of the scenarios before jumping back in. Time to dance will be my first go. Hows the screen order working, they were hanging around to long when enemies entered their standoff range last version i played.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
Lowlaner2012

Post by Lowlaner2012 »

Hi budd

In the hell in Hamlin I had partly depleted leopard 1 platoons on the edge of the city with orders to screen, they managed to withdraw back into the city without getting wiped out while knocking out Some T-80s and APCs.

Unfortunately for them they eventually got forced back and were cut off from the bridge while the remaining Soviet armor and mech inf poured across it... but hey thats the chaos of war...

So yes the screen order to me seems much improved :-)
Rake

Post by Rake »

ORIGINAL: **budd**

... Hows the screen order working, they were hanging around to long when enemies entered their standoff range last version i played.

It seems to be working, but I didn't use it much in this scenario. The only other scenario that I've played since 2.0.11.2 is Dawn's Early Light and I didn't use screen much there, either. Typically, I've only used screen orders with recon, HQ's & arty. Recce squads have backed off as I'd expect. I've tried to keep any leakers far enough away from my HQ's and support teams that I haven't noticed.

My thoughts going into both of these scenarios were to attempt to stonewall the AI pretty close to the front. I think, in both of these scenarios, that NATO needs to delay the Soviets long enough to get some reinforcements in place. I don't think "screen" is the order to accomplish that.

Return to “After Action Report”