NATO Counters error

Post bug reports and ask for tech support here. Post any Community Site Requests here as well.

Moderator: Vic

icym

NATO Counters error

Post by icym »

I recently added a few new NATO counter graphics to my scenario. With TOE enabled this made a total of 144.

Adding graphic 145 however, has caused an error. If when playing the game I click on the model designer button and then select one of the TOE models and then click the NATO 1 button to change the NATO graphics, it generates an unhandled exception error - "Index was outside the bounds of the array".

I did exit ATG and restart each time after adding new NATO graphics.

Suspecting there was a problem with my scenario, I tried a different completely different scenario that also uses TOE. There were fewer NATO graphics in this game. I began adding new ones and could add a few more successfully but eventually the same error occurred.

I probably have more NATO graphics than most, but I thought the manual indicated the maximum number to be 999.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I am missing or might be doing wrong?
Ormand

RE: NATO Counters error

Post by Ormand »

You are not alone. Happened to me as well. I think there is a limit on the number of NATO graphics. I don't know if this limit is the sum of LocType + Countwer graphics or just counters. Hard to say exactly, but if you have too many NATO counters I have found that you will get the "subscript out of bounds error".
One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork -- Edward Abbey
icym

Post by icym »

OK, thanks for that information. I will make do with the graphics that I have for now.
bobarossa

Post by bobarossa »

The Four Seasons Mod has a large number of NATO counters. You might download it and see how he did it.
Ormand

Post by Ormand »

I didn't get around this problem. I have a total of 110 graphics in the directory. With, of course, the first 17 being the LocType pictures. Since these are treated differently, one could guess that there is something like a limit of 100 NATO counter symbols. Maybe even 99. I haven't pushed it to verify that, but when I had the same "subscript out of bounds" I reduced the number of counter symbols, and got it to work. I think the issue is counters in the TOE screen, and not the number of counters that you could use for the sfts, but I am not sure.
One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork -- Edward Abbey
icym

Post by icym »

Ormand, I think you are right about the NATO counter symbol limit. I too have exactly 100 and if I try to add one more I receive the error message. As you suggest it is likely tied to the TOE screen display. 100 really should be plenty anyway. There are a number of duplicates that could be replaced if necessary. Thank you for the help.
Ormand

Post by Ormand »

That was my guess.

Keep in mind that these symbols are used for TOE and thus for marking those units. If you need more symbols for the SFTs, but they won't be used for a TOE unit, you can make a separate directory to hold these NATO counters. The TOE and SFT symbols are technically different, and set up separately. I am currently using the same counters for convenience, but I could see how this could be helpful. For example support units that are part of a composite unit that would likely not be a defined unit in the TOE could be put elsewhere. Some possibilities would MG, mortar, infantry gun. Of course, it depends on scale and how you want to define your game. But, this is an option if you need more symbols for your SFT's, but won't use them in the TOE.
juvilado

Post by juvilado »

ORIGINAL: icym

I recently added a few new NATO counter graphics to my scenario. With TOE enabled this made a total of 144.

Adding graphic 145 however, has caused an error. If when playing the game I click on the model designer button and then select one of the TOE models and then click the NATO 1 button to change the NATO graphics, it generates an unhandled exception error - "Index was outside the bounds of the array".

I did exit ATG and restart each time after adding new NATO graphics.

Suspecting there was a problem with my scenario, I tried a different completely different scenario that also uses TOE. There were fewer NATO graphics in this game. I began adding new ones and could add a few more successfully but eventually the same error occurred.

I probably have more NATO graphics than most, but I thought the manual indicated the maximum number to be 999.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I am missing or might be doing wrong?

I have 118 in total (101 graphics) before game crashes at TOE (are you other guys sure you can't have 101,not 100?). I changed original ones with custom, but adding any more is always fatal. How can you have 144? I added the png pics at the correct resolution (76x76, 38x38, 19x19) to the folders:

C:\Matrix Games\Advanced Tactics Gold\graphics\newdawnmodgraphicsSMALL\natocounters
C:\Matrix Games\Advanced Tactics Gold\graphics\newdawnmodgraphics\natocounters
C:\Matrix Games\Advanced Tactics Gold\graphics\newdawnmodgraphicsBIG\natocounters

I didn't find any documentation about how to do it, so i tried and found this way. Is there any other, easier way? This way the counters are changed forever, thats what i was looking for.
icym

Post by icym »

As you mentioned, standard size NATO counter images are 38x38. The NATO folder also contains 64x48 pixel images that are used for location types. I have added a number of new location types, which is why I have more files in the NATO folder than standard. The game appears to assume that any 38x38 file in the NATO folder is to be used for NATO symbols. You can have a lot more graphics in the NATO folder as long as they are not 38x38.

Return to “Advanced Tactics Support”