Pirates on Extreme are too annoying?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Guardian54

Pirates on Extreme are too annoying?

Post by Guardian54 »

I discovered much to my consternation that they don't disband if you kill all their bases, so what I'm having to do is hunt every single enemy unit down like a rabid dog to get any real peace. And somehow I had like 10 pirate factions with IIRC Very Few pirate setting and Normal strength...

This is a complete pain in the ass to actually do, more so as I haven't gotten ULRS yet to slap on resupply ship dreadnoughts (pirates gonna BS me by not disbanding after I kill their bases because they're too stupid to not invade a colony I just colonized and thus break protection agreement? I BS them right back) with which to hunt them down. It is simply too annoying to deal with the annoying gnats and it makes me ragequit games as a result (my colonies aren't large enough to afford parking a fleet over each one...).

I can roflstomp the other empires with stupid ease, but the pirates are EVERYWHERE...

What is your opinion on pirates in the higher difficulties? Up to Hard they're manageable enough, but Very Hard and Extreme just makes the entire game whack-a-mole vs pirates from my experiences so far...
It's making me tempted to set inhabitable worlds to the rarest setting just due to the sheer irritation of having to garrison all my planets...
NewportGames

RE: Pirates on Extreme are too annoying?

Post by NewportGames »

I have just started playing the game but I made it a point to not fight them just pay them off and they for the most part leave me alone. I need them for smuggling missions anyway.
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

in my opinion pay off the Pirates in the beginning of a game can be a fair strategy.

I find nothing dishonorable in doing so
Guardian54

Post by Guardian54 »

I paid them off for more than two decades.

I didn't quite realize in time though that (I think?) pirates actually do look at your military strength to decide if they want to attack, so I didn't build a fleet until the Great Pirate War began, roflstomped their bases, then... get stuck playing whack-a-mole with pirate fleets just cruising around and me being unable to afford parking a large enough fleet over every colony (read: over-extended...)

Also crashed too many techs with creds (Securan makes creds as common as water)
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

Admittedly, I have not played for ages, and I have not played on extreme apart from a quick attempt that did not go well. Extreme, AI mod and automation don't mix well :)

To avoid whack a mole, disable pirate respawn in galaxy settings. That way any clan you actually destroy is not immediately replace by a (small) new one. Also, protecting against raids is next to impossible if you are not far ahead. Destroying their bases should not be that difficult. So use long range scanners and dead reckoning to figure out here they come from. Find their base, destroy it. If they have no nearby base they won't attack you. And if you spread around thinly all across the galaxy, that is your own fault :) Ships with long range scanners, long range scanners on approaches, and stolen operations maps should do the trick in finding the bases. Also, if there are possible pirate spots nearby, make sure to drop a gas mine on every fuel source. They build bases on fuel sources, and need a free one to do so.

If some pirates attack you, take notes of which clan. Find their bases, destroy them. A pirate with no base should soon enough be an idle pirate out of fuel.
NewportGames

Post by NewportGames »

While I do not mind paying them off "as long as it is reasonable" since it is cheaper to pay them off then lose ships and bases, I will attack their bases even if they are on the dole. And if they do attack my ships and a base is within fighting range I will go after it. Got one base on the other side of the galaxy but they are barely within fighting range and the empire between us and them is friendly. I am refueling a fleet now and when it is ready I am going to send it off to pay them a visit.
NewportGames

Post by NewportGames »

Just hit a Pirate base last night. They were so overwhelmed by my fleets firepower they promptly joined my empire.

Whish the same had happened to the second base I hit last night. Still I keep paying them and at the same time take out their bases. A good strategy.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”