destroying rails

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

bairdlander2

destroying rails

Post by bairdlander2 »

I want to prevent Axis supply/troop movements by rail.Does destroying a railhead completely block freight/troops from moving through said rail heads??Or is it better to try and destroy the individual rail lines at strategic points?I cant seem to destroy rail in targeted hexes,just reduce amount of capacity.
loki100

RE: destroying rails

Post by loki100 »

my understanding is that bombing as such does not destroy the rail in the hex. In effect each hex has 5000 capacity which is the baseline. Up to that point, rail capacity is used up in ratio to the amount of traffic. If more than 5000 goes through a hex it costs more rail capacity compared to the amount of traffic.

If you use rail interdiction, you lower the 5000 (ie rail interdiction means the enemy has to spend more rail cap to move the same amount of supply/troops). I'll often try to spot hexes where usage is already over 5000 and target these as you increase the impact on an already over-streched rail line

Bombing out rail stations has two advantages. It increases the cost to unload units and reduces overall rail capacity.

If you want to seriously depress supply to a given sector, interdiction is the mission to use. In effect you are bombing trucks/horses used to pull supply from the depots to the front line units.
bairdlander2

Post by bairdlander2 »

ORIGINAL: loki100

Bombing out rail stations has two advantages. It increases the cost to unload units and reduces overall rail capacity.
So reinforcements arriving by rail can only unload from trains in rail head hexes,bombing the rail heads increases costs to unload.Does anyone know by how much??Is it similar to port capacity loading?
whoofe

Post by whoofe »

I think you can unload troops anywhere on the rails, but it costs less movement pts to unload on railyards
HMSWarspite

Post by HMSWarspite »

Indeed. Unloading at a big railcard is really cheap compared to unloading on an ordinary rail hex
I have a cunning plan, My Lord

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”