Need help with another empire starting in my sol system

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Hermundure

Need help with another empire starting in my sol system

Post by Hermundure »

Hi all,

hopefully some experienced folks can give some hints on the following issues I have with the latest game of mine:

I started in an solar system together with another space faring empire.
After checking their info screen they seemed like really peaceful folks which wish to trade and prosper instead of going to war and I imagined a situation where we both send traders back and forth and grow together BUT:

Some month after the game started they issued a trade embargo against my empire. (They hated me because we competed for resources the info said and also my ships are flying in the same system as they are in - how unexpected...)

But now to the worst part and the core of my question:
On empire-comparison I am a bit stronger than them and our sphere of influence pretty much splitting the solar system in half, I still cant build any Gas Extractor or Mine on any planet, no matter if its on their or on my side of the influence sphere (even way back in my side is impossible) because the info text says I am unable to build because I am in another empires influence.

How can I change this situation so that I am able to build and develop again?
Right now I am sitting pretty much cut off from all fuel and resources which is a bit of a bad start so I will appreciate any tip.

Herm
Bingeling

RE: Need help with another empire starting in my sol system

Post by Bingeling »

Starting in the same systems happens. It is unlikely to happen in a large galaxy (with lots of options), though.

If I faced the same situation I would do one of two things:

1: Leave the game and start a new one just as I spot the other empire in my system.
2: Conquer them as soon as possible.

There is no happy scenario where two empires have colonies in the same system.
Hermundure

Post by Hermundure »

Thats sad to read :-/
There goes my idea about a inter-solar trade and growth relationship of us two :-(

BUT on the technical side, I would still be interested in the reason why I cant build anything in the solar system, even if its in my sphere of influence. It keeps saying its in another empires influence. Is this a bug?
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

You can be the happy trading empire, but sharing a system leaves conflicts.

I am not sure what is up with your issues in building. The last I saw was that I was allowed to build in my part of the system that was shared. That was not with capitals, and a long time ago, though.

What would happen if you were to build, though, would be a sure way to war. You both share the system, having half of it each. You build a mine in your part of the system. Then the planets orbits, the borders shift, and your mine move into the "enemy" part of the system. Which leads to unhappiness about "your mine in our territory" and also possible anger over your military ships visiting the mine and trespassing.

Which may be why it is not allowed anymore (if that is true), it could mess up the AIs quite badly.

Some of the same issues arrive as previously neutral territory ends up in zones of influence by new colonies or colony growth. It is also possible to swap ownership of border systems due to one of the colonies becoming richer and increasing its zone of influence at expense of the other colony. That is a way to make the AI go to war with each other. You could escape such a situation by trading away the conflicted bases.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”