Hill 621

Moderators: Paullus, Peter Fisla

gw15

RE: Hill 621

Post by gw15 »

thank you Paullus. I will try it. I did delete the file and reloaded it but same problem.
gw15

Post by gw15 »

I give up. I tried to change the original Hill 621 file but receive a message "files denied" so I saved it under another name. I started a new game with the new scenario file and played it through to turn 2 but replacement zone 2 never showed up.
I wonder if I need to uninstall everything, reinstall the game without any mods and only download hill 621 and try it then.
Paullus

Post by Paullus »

Try changing the Mod to another one.
For my part, I shall do my duty as a general; I shall see to it that you are given the chance of a successful action. /Lucius Aemilius Paullus
gw15

Post by gw15 »

Yep, that's it. The ASL mod is messing up the scenario. That explains why I was playing another scenario where I did not have a ASL scenario card to verify the reinforcements and during play I noticed strange things going on with the reinforcements. A tank would show up and the next turn it was gone and then show up again later. I also felt there should have been more reinforcements. I believe the ASL mod is causing problems with the game. Don't know why, maybe it is just on my PC.
Too bad for me as I love the look with the ASL mod using the small prep fire, etc counters.
ORIGINAL: Paullus

Gerry4321

Post by Gerry4321 »

Why would a mod mess up a scenario?
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

ORIGINAL: bommerrang

Yep, that's it. The ASL mod is messing up the scenario. That explains why I was playing another scenario where I did not have a ASL scenario card to verify the reinforcements and during play I noticed strange things going on with the reinforcements. A tank would show up and the next turn it was gone and then show up again later. I also felt there should have been more reinforcements. I believe the ASL mod is causing problems with the game. Don't know why, maybe it is just on my PC.
Too bad for me as I love the look with the ASL mod using the small prep fire, etc counters.
ORIGINAL: Paullus

I'm also curious as to how this is happening because of a Mod. If a cosmetic mod can impact arrival turns, or setup zones this could have a significant impact on the viability of mods.

Thanks
Rick
Paullus

Post by Paullus »

Try to reinstall the mod again, or try one of the other mods.
For my part, I shall do my duty as a general; I shall see to it that you are given the chance of a successful action. /Lucius Aemilius Paullus
gw15

Post by gw15 »

I really don't know. Is anyone having this problem or is it just me?
ORIGINAL: Gerry

Why would a mod mess up a scenario?
Monkie

Post by Monkie »

Well I gave the scenario a go and I am using a modified version of the ASL mod. I didn't do anything to the mod that would affect the setup zones in the graphics file. Basically I took the ASL mod and changed some of the game markers (pinned, broken, etc) and changed the vehicles. Otherwise it's the vanilla ASL mod.

I found no problems whatsoever playing as German or Russian, all of the setup zones were correct and I had no problems placing the Russian turn 2 reinforcements in the 6 available setup zone hexes.

I just can't see how the mod would affect that sort of thing and I was unable to reproduce any of the setup issues that Bommerrang had mentioned.

If I find any other issues as I play further through the scenario I'll let you know.
gw15

Post by gw15 »

Thanks everyone for the hard work trying to figure it out. I completely uninstalled and deleted all TotH files and reinstalled the game. I Made sure the DirectX and C++ where installed from the game (I did before).
I'm playing through the basic scenarios with no mods and have not encountered a problem. In a few days I will reload Hill621 and play without mod and see what happens. If that goes well then I will load the basic ASL mod and see what happens. Then load the prep fire, DN, etc. counter mod and see what happens.

This is a great game BTW.

ORIGINAL: Monkie

Well I gave the scenario a go and I am using a modified version of the ASL mod. I didn't do anything to the mod that would affect the setup zones in the graphics file. Basically I took the ASL mod and changed some of the game markers (pinned, broken, etc) and changed the vehicles. Otherwise it's the vanilla ASL mod.

I found no problems whatsoever playing as German or Russian, all of the setup zones were correct and I had no problems placing the Russian turn 2 reinforcements in the 6 available setup zone hexes.

I just can't see how the mod would affect that sort of thing and I was unable to reproduce any of the setup issues that Bommerrang had mentioned.

If I find any other issues as I play further through the scenario I'll let you know.
erigra

Post by erigra »

I have just tried this old classic as the germans. The russian infantry attacks like mad towards the hill, just as they should, gives a real frenetic feeling for the few germans to try and stop them, great fun, especially with very hard control rules. [:'(]

The T-34s did not show themselves however, so it was an easy win for the germans then. I could hear them starting and stopping all the time, but never saw any of them. The AFV AI seems to have a hard time when on the attack. In general they will not advance towards the victoryhexes. Has anyone seen the t34s as the germans in this scenario?

I also think the russians need more leaders as AI, because they send their few leaders forward to die with the troops, and then all the russian broken units are essentially out of the game to early.

I will try to modify this scenario to alter the afv behavior, and the leader behaviour, but I also think AFV AI is something Peter should look into as a general improvement.

------------------------------
Erik Grande
Paullus

Post by Paullus »

The AFV AI was improved in the Day Zero Patch. Have you installed that?
erigra

Post by erigra »

No I had not. Now I have. Did some testing before installing the patch and found some weaknesses with the AFV AI, regarding distance to VP and also VP on hills.
Quick test after installing the Day Zero Patch is a different ballgame! Much better it seems, I will try Hill621 again as the germans tonight, looking forward to it!

I bought the game three days ago and assumed that was the latest patched version, but I stand corrected now, thank you. [8|]
------------------------------
Erik Grande

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”