Renaming Units

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

MarcA

Renaming Units

Post by MarcA »

Hi folks,

the beginners question for today is how do you rename units?

MaB1708

RE: Renaming Units

Post by MaB1708 »

What about selecting the unit in question and press "R"?
MarcA

Post by MarcA »

Thank you, I missed that in the hot keys list
Rory Noonan

Post by Rory Noonan »

You can also rename reference points by selecting one (only one) and pressing ctrl+R
zacklaws

Post by zacklaws »

I think it would also be helpful if you could rename multiple aircraft in one go in a scenario.

When you create a scenario you can name multiple aircraft etc

But in the scenario, I find I can only do them individually ie:-

Select Airbase, click on aircraft right hand side to bring up the air ops menu. But despite their being a rename button, it will only do individual aircraft (an individual object) and not them all if you select them all. Its a real pain if you have a squadron of around 18 aircraft and each one needs renaming. I find it quicker to go into the editor, delete them all and then reinstall them all and rename them at the same time
Primarchx

Post by Primarchx »

In the scenario editor you name a group of a/c when you add them to a facility. These are then designated by that name and a sequential number behind that ("Cougar 1, Cougar 2, ..."). Like anything else, individual units need individual naming once they're placed. This can be done quickly by using Ctrl-c, Ctrl-v for the name and then typing in the differentiating number or other designation for each a/c. And yeah, that can take a while, too.

I'll admit I'm a little jaded since I remember when you couldn't rename individual a/c, though :>
zacklaws

Post by zacklaws »

Renaming using Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V ????

Ctrl-C copies a unit and asks you where you want the copy pasting.

Ctrl-V is God's Eye View.

Pressing R is for renaming.
Rory Noonan

Post by Rory Noonan »

Once the dialog is open, select the text as press ctrl+ C to copy it to the clipboard. After The next dialog opens press ctrl+V to paste the copied text in.

This works in nearly every other Windows program too.
zacklaws

Post by zacklaws »

What "Dialogue"

I want to rename units by typing in something new, not copying some text into the clipboard and then pasting it.

The issue is, why be able to select multiple aircraft in the air ops box, and it also has a rename button but it will not rename them all, but each one has to be done individually using the rename button.

Yet if you select multiple aircraft and hit the delete button, it deletes them all, and no need to do them individually.
And if you also select multiple aircraft and hit the set time to ready, it readies all the aircraft and no need to do them individually.
And likewise all the other six menu options such as arming and launching etc also works on multiple selections

So is the rename button in the Air ops menu not fully implemented/flawed/bugged etc to not allow multiple renaming.

And as for windows key commands, I have been teaching their use at work since 1986 so fully aware of that fact which should be known to all regular window users

magi

Post by magi »

Okidokie
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Its not bugged or flawed at all.

Added to our request list.

In the meantime just jumping into the editor and removing and then adding the aircraft under a different name is a work around that would be quicker.

Thanks!

Mike
ComDev

Post by ComDev »

The rename functionality works the way it does because the sim assumes the names are unique...

Developer "Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations" project!
zacklaws

Post by zacklaws »

Thanks Mike, I will carry on doing what I'm doing then till it changes.

Names are unique? But why then should they be treat as individual objects then. A name can be unique to a group of objects as well with just an additional number as a subfix as can be created in the editor.

Time to go fishing now for rest of week.
Rory Noonan

Post by Rory Noonan »

ORIGINAL: zacklaws
And as for windows key commands, I have been teaching their use at work since 1986 so fully aware of that fact which should be known to all regular window users

Sorry, I missed the part of your post where you said that. All I saw was your question related to the workaround steps PrimarchX gave you.
zaytsev

Post by zaytsev »

ORIGINAL: zacklaws

What "Dialogue"

I'm no computer expert too, but have you consider lua scripting which is available since some time in CMANO.
It is really not so complicated, script language, and it simplifies working with lots of unique variables in short time.

Here's link:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3784722

and here's example of your problem:

Code: Select all

ScenEdit_SetUnit({side="US", name="RED #1", newname="BLUE #1"})
 ScenEdit_SetUnit({side="US", name="RED #2", newname="BLUE #2"})
 ScenEdit_SetUnit({side="US", name="RED #3", newname="BLUE #3"})
 ScenEdit_SetUnit({side="US", name="RED #4", newname="BLUE #4"})

and so on..
It wont hurt if you try, just save before, no undo.

Cheers
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Yes that too.

Mike
ComDev

Post by ComDev »

Great suggestion zaytsev [8D]

Developer "Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations" project!
zaytsev

Post by zaytsev »

Thanks, although not perfect, if scenario designer used same name for 2 or more units it will take only one from the list,
other will have to rename manually, but that cant be avoided, I guess.

Second, this example could be minimized even by using incremental variables %side/%name/%newname, also if/then function, instead of fixed names,
but that is out of scope here, I've tried to be simple.

Cheers

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”