ATG: Wishlist thread

Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The initial release focuses on World War II and includes a number of historical scenarios as well as a full editor! This forum supports both the original Advanced Tactics and the new and improved Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition.

Moderator: Vic

Tac2i

RE: ATG: Wishlist thread

Post by Tac2i »

While not highlighted, each HQ and the units that it commands are color coded. These colors can be changed while in game.
ORIGINAL: Ajantaka

The ability to quickly locate all the subordinate units of HQ or all the sister units (those with same HQ) by clicking on the unit/HQ and all the subordinate/units will be outlined or highlighted.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Would be sort of convenient if HQs also gave the ideal number of staff they need along with or instead of % staffed. Sometimes it's difficult to determine how many staff would get them up to 100%. So it would be convenient if there were a raw number as well telling you for example that your HQ needs 54 staff in order to be at 100% or something.
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

The new TO&E feature, if you have an HQ template applied to your HQs, attempts to keep them at 100%. There is no need try to determine how many staff are needed.
ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

Would be sort of convenient if HQs also gave the ideal number of staff they need along with or instead of % staffed. Sometimes it's difficult to determine how many staff would get them up to 100%. So it would be convenient if there were a raw number as well telling you for example that your HQ needs 54 staff in order to be at 100% or something.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

For some reason it seems when I have TO&E set up my HQs don't always draw enough staff to stay near 100%. I've had HQs linger understaffed for several turns even though there are plenty of staff at their superior HQs to give them. [&:]
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

This has not been my experience. My HQs stay at or near 100%.
ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

For some reason it seems when I have TO&E set up my HQs don't always draw enough staff to stay near 100%. I've had HQs linger understaffed for several turns even though there are plenty of staff at their superior HQs to give them. [&:]
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
dominickpa

Post by dominickpa »

Don't forget that you need transport capacity in your HQ to send troops from it. If your HQ just has trains and it and the target is not on tracks, nothing will move. Both must be on tracks.
Ajantaka

Post by Ajantaka »

Webizen,

Thanks, I had forgotten this. This is useful but highlighting or somesuch more visual device would help those of us with weak eyes and overall make it quicker to locate sister units.
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

I would love for the system of messages with choices as in DC:B was available in ATG.

As is the message system does not really give that option, and it is best solved via cards... but having many cards could clutter the screen considerably.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Really, REALLY wish there were a separate setting in the editor for "air transportable" or else limit aircraft to only being able to transport things that individually weigh less than a single plane's maximum carry capacity. It seems absurdly unrealistic to be able to transport a locomotive by transport planes, especially for the WW2 period. Never was done and never could have been done. I'm not sure it's possible to transport a locomotive by air even today.

Another thing I really wish for is the ability to implement helicopters more realistically into the game. This could maybe be done through creation of a new subformation type called "ground crew". "Ground crew" would be like land based aircraft carriers in that they could move from hex to hex and "contain" certain aircraft types (helicopters or VTOL aircraft only) Every aircraft would have a "weight" and every "ground crew" would have a specific amount of aircraft "weight" it could support. If the number of aircraft exceeds the capacity of "ground crews" on a hex then air operations would not be possible.
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

While I know that Helicopters can land almost anywhere, they too, like planes need to return to their base to refuel. The real trouble I see is that if you have a turn length that is less than a day, you might want to model that. But if it's more than 1 day, it would seem likely that it would return to base after a mission ended. Thus the problem with helicopters is really to avoid designing games that are in too low time scale.

I came to this realization recently. If I am wrong, please do tell, but it seems that they could be modeled if the scale is not too small.
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
Ormand

Post by Ormand »

I think the problem with helicopters is more along the lines of air-mobile, or air-cavalry. You can model them dropping troops off via paradrops, but you can't pick them up and transport them to another spot (unless they are in an airbase). And you can't transport troops from one base to another via air. It was probably quite an operation to pick up troops in the field, but from a game standpoint, that is probably the main thing that you would want to add that is differentiated from current transport capability.

I don't think that it would make much sense to allow helicopters to land and stay at a place that is not a base. This just doesn't happen as helicopters need to be refueled and rearmed, which I think must happen at an airbase of some sort.
One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork -- Edward Abbey
Khanti

Post by Khanti »

I want consistency in EDITOR.
Example:
SFTs table. You click on sft and it's selected and auto moved on center. (Good)
Regimes table. You click on sft and it's selected and it's NOT auto moved on center. (Bad)
Eh.
═══
There is no such thing as a historically accurate strategy game. Every game stops being historically accurate from the very first move player do. First unit that moves ahistorically, first battle with non-historical results, mean we ride in unknown.
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

I'd rather have extra functionality than consistency, but of course I'd love both if possible :)
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
StrategyGamer

Post by StrategyGamer »

I'd love to be allowed to move the items in the Items menu
Doing a total conversion scenario, it is very annoying when say B 1 is before A 1 which is before B 2
I just want to stay organized [:(]
Zocker

Post by Zocker »

An option no Factories

Rainer
balto

Post by balto »

Why?
alomoes

Post by alomoes »

I don't know if this has been asked before, but could it be possible to add an import/export function to various things, such as buildings, SFTs, research trees. My reasoning is that I have a ton of stuff written up in text files, and importing it via the editor is slightly annoying and much more time consuming because I have to click all the things and make sure I didn't screw up somewhere.

If there is an import/export text function to the editor, then please PM me on how to use it.
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Is there any room in the GUI for an extra button? I was wondering because in some games (take WaW for ATG for instance) players want to make more resources than can be viewed in the upper bar of the screen. A button that simply says Resources, or it could be a tab in the statistics, and you could review your resources there.
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
Vic

Post by Vic »

Just wanted to state I am still reading this thread :) and even making some notes for the to-do list.
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
lion_of_judah

Post by lion_of_judah »

I would like to be able too make fixed borders like in Operational Art of war and the border graphics now used to show when you conqueror territory but the borders still stay the same.

Return to “Advanced Tactics Series”