Normandy 44 vs Two Weeks in Normandy

Norm Koger's The Operational Art of War III is the next game in the award-winning Operational Art of War game series. TOAW3 is updated and enhanced version of the TOAW: Century of Warfare game series. TOAW3 is a turn based game covering operational warfare from 1850-2015. Game scale is from 2.5km to 50km and half day to full week turns. TOAW3 scenarios have been designed by over 70 designers and included over 130 scenarios. TOAW3 comes complete with a full game editor.

Moderators: JAMiAM, ralphtricky

DonCzirr

Normandy 44 vs Two Weeks in Normandy

Post by DonCzirr »

Hello Guys,

I'm trying to scope out a good scenario for German defense at Normandy.

The stock scenario - Normandy 44 seems to be really weighted on the side of the allies. (just watching the 2 POs slug it out)

I then found "Two Weeks in Normandy" on the Rugged Defense site.

Was wondering if any of the TOAW veterans have a preference between these 2 - or perhaps a different scenario that

I did not mention?
Man schlägt jemanden mit der Faust und nicht mit gespreizten Fingern !

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100032812112896
secadegas

RE: Normandy 44 vs Two Weeks in Normandy

Post by secadegas »

Back in the glourious days, 2WiN was in TOAW's community such high consideration that was used as the "perfectly" balanced scenario for PBEM tournaments.

2WiN - by Brett Turner - is one of TOAW PBEM truly gems.

It also has programed opponent (both sides). But, as usual with PO/AI, use it at your own risk... [8|]

Catch21

Post by Catch21 »

^
Tactics are based on Weapons... Strategy on Movement... and Movement on Supply. (J. F. C. Fuller 1878-1966)
DonCzirr

Post by DonCzirr »

Great - thanks - I'll give it a whirl.

I let the POs slug it out on both the stock Normandy 44 scenario and then the Rommel variant and in both cases it was a cake walk for the Allies. (bad sign when the AI is dominant when on the attack)

It would be good to at least see a scenario fit the victory conditions to something reasonable in terms of casualties inflected and the total time objectives were held.

Catch21

Post by Catch21 »

Tactics are based on Weapons... Strategy on Movement... and Movement on Supply. (J. F. C. Fuller 1878-1966)
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

I don't see how you can judge a scenario by running an AI vs AI battle. It's just not...natural.
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: DonCzirr

It would be good to at least see a scenario fit the victory conditions to something reasonable in terms of casualties inflected and the total time objectives were held.

Although not a Normandy scenario itself, you might want to look at my France 1944 AAR:

Detailed first turn:
tm.asp?m=1546619

Continuation of “France 1944 D-Day” AAR:
tm.asp?m=1726673

The first turn is shown in such extreme detail that new players usually learn a lot about how the game works.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
r6kunz

Post by r6kunz »

Hallo,
Thank you for your interest.

First, Two weeks is a good scenario by Brett Turner. I corresponded with him a couple of year ago and he replied with TWIN 300Beta1, using the latest TOAW fix. I am not sure if it was made public, but a very good scenario. Be advised that despite its name, it is TWELVE one-day turns. And 1.5 km/hex.

About that time I was working on Operation Overlord, similar scope, 2.5 km/hex, 30 days- that takes it to the start of Operation Goodwood. I hope to include it in TOAW IV.
It plays out well-balanced- included are the daily German operational maps which turn out quite closely to the games results on 6 July. I hope to get a TOAW III version posted on Rugged Defense.

Perhaps like you, my measure of a good scenario is how well, with a little luck, it can match the historic result. And the historic losses. Not how "balance" it is. (One can always play chess for a strictly balanced game).

I also should mention that Steve Sill (aka sPzAb653) is working on Bocage Hell in a highly detailed 1 km/hex. I have not given it a test-drive yet, but Steve always does excellent scenarios.
Avatar image was taken in hex 87,159 Vol 11 of
Vietnam Combat Operations by Stéphane MOUTIN LUYAT aka Boonierat.
tcarusil

Post by tcarusil »

I can attest that the AAR is very detailed and an excellent learning tool.

By the way, thanks for going to all that trouble.

TomC
DonCzirr

Post by DonCzirr »

ORIGINAL: Lobster

I don't see how you can judge a scenario by running an AI vs AI battle. It's just not...natural.

Heh - well, I've noticed in most games (outside of TOAW) that the attacking AI usually does poorly against any AI defending force that is

somewhat comparable.

In the 2 stock scenarios, the attacking AI wiped the floor with the defenders so thoroughly that most of the end game consisted
of huge allied forces hunting down small / weak individual fleeing German units. (looked really fun)

In contrast to this, Two Weeks in Normandy (which I just downloaded from Rugged Defense) was a back and forth affair all the way
through - with the German AI having some teeth till the very end.

The battle ended in a Draw with several objectives changing hands in the last rounds.

This looks very good to me so I will invest the time now to learn the game.

Thanks to those who provided guidance.

Return to “Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III”