One plane attacking 2 targets with 2 separate weapons

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

DWReese

One plane attacking 2 targets with 2 separate weapons

Post by DWReese »

Hi gang,

I need to know how to make this happen with the Mission Editor.

I have an F-15I that is carrying one GBU-28 (bunker buster)for an attack on an Underground shelter, and two GBU-31s for attacks on two above ground structures. I am having difficulty making this happen in the Mission Editor.

I have designated all three of the targets. But, my plane wants to attack the underground target with the GBU-31 and one the above ground targets with the bunker busting GBU-28. If I separate them, and fly separate missions, it works fine. But, when I put all three weapons on the same plane, then it's up to the computer to get it right, and it doesn't.

Is there any way that I can properly address this so that it does happen the way that I want. If so, how?

Doug
Dysta

RE: One plane attacking 2 targets with 2 separate weapons

Post by Dysta »

Can you modify mission-specific WRAs in the editor?
ComDev

Post by ComDev »

Think Dysta nailed it. If you post a savegame Im sure one of our experts (and there are quite a few of them here!) would be able to help you out [8D]

Developer "Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations" project!
DWReese

Post by DWReese »

The HARM portion of the battle is over. I now have six 4-plane groups of F-15Is approaching Natanz. There are six underground facilities that I would like ALL FOUR planes within each of the six groups to hit with their GBU-28s. So, if done properly, I will have a total of 4 GBU-28s attacking each of the six underground shelters. This would be a total of 24 missiles.

Now, the hard part is that each of the planes also has 2 GBU-31s. I have six buildings (marked as PRIMARY TARGETS) that need to be hit. There are some SA-15s which will successfully attempt to knock out some of these. I would like each of the plane groups to allocate a portion of their missiles to these six buildings, and a portion of some to go to the underground entrance to the underground shelter.

I have tries it numerous ways, but I often get six missiles going toward one target, and none going to another. I will get the GBU-28 (bunker buster) being allocated to bomb a building, while the GBU-31s are sent after underground bunkers.

Any help would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Doug
Attachments
NatanzIs..RaamTest.zip
(173.36 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
Dysta

Post by Dysta »

Testing now, will edit this reply when I'm done.
DWReese

Post by DWReese »

Thank you, so much. It has driven me nuts.
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

If you have determined in advance which weapon will go to which target, why not pre-allocate (manually) the weapons once the AC are in the air?
DWReese

Post by DWReese »

I'm not certain what you mean. When you say pre-allocate (manually), do you mean that I should just manually designate the targets and then manually launch them at what I desire? If so, then that is what I am currently doing.

I was hoping that there is a way to have the Mission Editor handle this, but if not, then I will have to do it the way that I have already been doing it.

Thanks,

Doug
Rudd

Post by Rudd »

ORIGINAL: DWReese

The HARM portion of the battle is over. I now have six 4-plane groups of F-15Is approaching Natanz. There are six underground facilities that I would like ALL FOUR planes within each of the six groups to hit with their GBU-28s. So, if done properly, I will have a total of 4 GBU-28s attacking each of the six underground shelters. This would be a total of 24 missiles.

Now, the hard part is that each of the planes also has 2 GBU-31s. I have six buildings (marked as PRIMARY TARGETS) that need to be hit. There are some SA-15s which will successfully attempt to knock out some of these. I would like each of the plane groups to allocate a portion of their missiles to these six buildings, and a portion of some to go to the underground entrance to the underground shelter.

I have tries it numerous ways, but I often get six missiles going toward one target, and none going to another. I will get the GBU-28 (bunker buster) being allocated to bomb a building, while the GBU-31s are sent after underground bunkers.

Any help would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Doug
As Dysta said
The WRA in the doctrine/ROE sounds like what you need to dig into, it lets you choose what type of target, how many rounds, how many shooters, etc

Attachments
wra.jpg
wra.jpg (415.14 KiB) Viewed 106 times
Dysta

Post by Dysta »

As Rudd mentioned.

Here's the savegame with my customized WRA to 'Mission NW#1', for a reference. Attachment is below the picture.

Attachments
WRA_Natanz..RaamTest.zip
(173.17 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
DWReese

Post by DWReese »

Thanks to everyone.

The only problem that I seem to have now is one that I am responsible for creating. The Underground Storage Unit is the culprit. Since it is underground, the GBU-28s want to try to hit it, and since it also falls into a category that my WRA has been set up for my GBU-31s to hit, then things get mixed up. I believe that I need to make more underground storage unit appear as an above ground target, and then everything will work just fine. Since the GBU-31s ARE PERMITTED to go after the underground storage unit under my rules, things simply get out of sorts.

In any case, you have explained how to make this work for me, and I sincerely appreciate it. I will play around some more with it.

Thanks again.

Doug
Dysta

Post by Dysta »

ORIGINAL: DWReese

The only problem that I seem to have now is one that I am responsible for creating. The Underground Storage Unit is the culprit. Since it is underground, the GBU-28s want to try to hit it, and since it also falls into a category that my WRA has been set up for my GBU-31s to hit, then things get mixed up. I believe that I need to make more underground storage unit appear as an above ground target, and then everything will work just fine. Since the GBU-31s ARE PERMITTED to go after the underground storage unit under my rules, things simply get out of sorts.

In any case, you have explained how to make this work for me, and I sincerely appreciate it. I will play around some more with it.

No worry, you can set GBU-31 NOT to use it against underground structure. Same like GBU-28's WRA, but only set Building (Underground) to 'Do not use any weapon', while leave other target's setting untouched. They will do their jobs accordingly as long as you set up their WRAs.
Dannyp19

Post by Dannyp19 »

WRA is a very powerful tool. When things get sideways on any of my strikes, its 99.9% of the time the result of me not/forgetting to use WRA properly.

DWReese

Post by DWReese »

Thanks again.

I'm trying that right now.
Primarchx

Post by Primarchx »

I had an issue with testing this sort of scenario. Here's what I did...

Create Mission for Strike->Ground. Select two targets, a Building(Medium) and a Bunker(Surface). Assign the following a/c...

4 F-15I with GBU-28 (Goliath sqn)
4 F-15I with GBU-31 (David sqn)

Edit WRA so that GBU-28 is not authorized for soft buildings and GBU-31 is not authorized for hard buildings.

Activate the mission.

FOUR airplane takes off, all from Goliath sqn (GBU-28) and acquires the nearest building (the soft, medium building) which they approach but do not attack. They do not attack the nearby bunker, either, but circle around and appear to RTB, only to fragment somewhere near the home airfield and fly around aimlessly. No a/c from David sqn (GBU-31) ever take off.

Strange.
DWReese

Post by DWReese »

Thanks for your help.

My problem stemmed from me wanting the GBU-28s to ONLY attack the underground centrifuge targets, and I wanted the GBU-31s to attack both above ground facility and the underground storage unit. By setting the parameters to allow it to attack both above and below ground, it paved the way for the GBU-31s to also attack the centrifuge targets.

I realize that in real life I can have it both ways, but for game purposes, I couldn't tell the GBU-31s that they could fire at this underground target, but not that underground target.

As a result, I had to make a compromise. I changed the underground storage unit to a large "above-ground" storage facility. After doping that, everything works fine. Before, I was getting many of the GBU-31s not attacking their designated targets and going after the centrifuges. Everything works properly now.

Thanks again for your help.

Doug
Dysta

Post by Dysta »

I think, somehow the game should catalogue the specific types of underground structure. Like:

Building (Underground) -- generic drill bomb can hurt it
Building (Underground, reinforced) -- a huge tonnage of drill bomb is needed
Building (Shallow Underground) -- normal bomb can do limited damage to it
Building (Deep Underground) -- indestructible
Building (Semi-buried) -- with partial percentage to receive full penetration with normal bomb
DWReese

Post by DWReese »

That would be helpful. In the past I called upon F-16Is to carry out the other portion of the attack, but in real life Israel probably wouldn't have that many tankers available, and the F-15Is are certainly capable of handling two different weapons.

Doug

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”