What kind of war game is this?

Tigers on the Hunt is a World War 2 hard-core tactical wargame for PC.

It creates a truly and immersive depth tactical simulation. Tigers on the Hunt boasts a ferocious and adaptive AI which will dynamically respond to a player’s maneuvers.

Moderators: Paullus, Peter Fisla

towerbooks3192

What kind of war game is this?

Post by towerbooks3192 »

I have seen different scaled war games here from the easy to pick up and play panzer corps, good mix of complexity and ease of getting in to such as decisive campaigns, to the very detailed ones such as war in the east/west/pacific even to the wizard level Command Modern air and naval operations. I want to know what am I getting out of the box and what contents does it have like random scenario/map generator, detailed campaign, panzer corps-esque promotion and unit purchase,a huge scenario bank like or something else entirely?
et ignobiles oblivio
PeteG662

RE: What kind of war game is this?

Post by PeteG662 »

If you know or have heard about the Squad Leader or Advanced Squad Leader board games formerly from Avalon Hill this is just like them. It is squad, individual leader, support weapon and individual vehicle scale in small unit battles. I have just gotten the game and have not played much but as an ASL aficionado it had instant appeal.
TomBombadil711

Post by TomBombadil711 »

How many stock scenarios does one get with the game?
Gerry4321

Post by Gerry4321 »

25 + 3 more released on Day Zero.
Krys

Post by Krys »

ORIGINAL: TomBombadil711

How many stock scenarios does one get with the game?

There are 25 scenarios that initially come with the game, plus 4 training scenarios. But - the developer released 3 more on launch day that are free to download, and in the just over a week that the game has been out, there must be at least 10-15 more posted by folks who bought the game and have submitted their own new ones.

There are also a lot of mods which give things such as different unit appearance and more terrain map options (no functional differences but different 'skins' to both) and several player aid charts that are all helpful in playing or scenario creation or both.

Scenarios range from a few turns - 6-9, for example - to 20-30 or more, from one map to 3 or 4 maps (obviously giving lots more room to fight over) and while there are currently no true campaigns, it is possible to create them, and the dev is working on one, as - I'm sure - some of the scenario makers are as well.

If you're looking for a detailed brain game that flows quickly and is highly reminiscent of the Squad Leader type board games, this is made for you. It will make you think, but will reward your mental effort - together with remembering concepts like combined forces, overwhelming fire concentration, and solid tactical planning -with both a lot of fun and plenty of success.

Just my two cents worth. [:)]
So many games...so little time...

"The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson
genesismwt

Post by genesismwt »

Well put!

On top of that, the scenario editor will allow one to make an unlimited number of scenarios taking place in the European Theater involving Germany, Great Britain, Russia and the US. Even a desert scenario has been produced. Korean War scenarios could even be made, at least against US Army and British Army units. Russian units can be used for North Korean and Chinese units.

The beauty of the editor, and the squad leader system is that you can take almost any account of a battle at the local level and match the terrain, units and equipment to the account, and play it out.

The game is afoot!

Mike
towerbooks3192

Post by towerbooks3192 »

Ok, I don't have a clue about what squad leader is since I must say I have only dabbled in wargaming for as long as when I found out about matrix games. It is good to know that there are scenarios included in the game. I am a bit disappointed that there are no Japanese units to play around with but it is understandable since it is about the european theatre after all. Is the game easy to mod (for someone who isnt experience in modding nor scenario creation) and are there many player mods and scenarios available that are easy to install?
et ignobiles oblivio
Krys

Post by Krys »

ORIGINAL: towerbooks3192

Is the game easy to mod (for someone who isnt experience in modding nor scenario creation) and are there many player mods and scenarios available that are easy to install?

Scenario creation is almost unthinkably easy. I made my first scenario on day 2 after launch, and haven't looked back since. Now have several posted and several more underway. I can't speak to MODS because they involve code writing and tech ability which is far beyond my scope of expertise, but the scenarios are a lot of fun to make, play and share.

As you've probably noticed, the game covers the European theatre and has American, British, German and Soviet forces, but all included scenarios feature Germans vs either Americans, Brits, or Russians. Nonetheless, if you're so motivated, you could create some scenarios with Brits or Americans vs. Russians to see how that might work.
So many games...so little time...

"The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson
towerbooks3192

Post by towerbooks3192 »

ORIGINAL: Krys

ORIGINAL: towerbooks3192

Is the game easy to mod (for someone who isnt experience in modding nor scenario creation) and are there many player mods and scenarios available that are easy to install?

Scenario creation is almost unthinkably easy. I made my first scenario on day 2 after launch, and haven't looked back since. Now have several posted and several more underway. I can't speak to MODS because they involve code writing and tech ability which is far beyond my scope of expertise, but the scenarios are a lot of fun to make, play and share.

As you've probably noticed, the game covers the European theatre and has American, British, German and Soviet forces, but all included scenarios feature Germans vs either Americans, Brits, or Russians. Nonetheless, if you're so motivated, you could create some scenarios with Brits or Americans vs. Russians to see how that might work.

Ok. If scenario creation is easy then I might pick this game up. It really looks interesting and from what I can see from the videos and stuff and the site, it usually focused more on the scenario and mod creation. Are the wargame mechanics like combat and other stuff solid on this one?
et ignobiles oblivio

Return to “Tigers on the Hunt”