Nuances of Interdiction

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

Q-Ball

Nuances of Interdiction

Post by Q-Ball »

Hello all! I am still learning the air game despite having played this game a bit. I'm pretty comfortable with Strat Bombing at this point, but Interdiction is still something that eludes me. Can the more experienced players help?

I am invading France, and set up the following settings. Needless to say, results are very underwhelming. Am I missing something?

Aircraft: Approx. 900 RAF Rocket-Equipped FBs (Typhoon, Hurri, Mosquito), and 700 USAAF FBs (mostly P-40 and P-47 equipped with bombs)

Loadouts are 8 Rockets for all RAF FBs, and max number of bombs for the USAAF (2 or 3 bombs)

Alt: 13,000 Ft.
4 Air Directives, Overlapping, all set to Interdiction Only, on AUTO
4 Days of Missions (Days 3,4,6,7)
RECON flew all 7 days in this box, 91 RECON aircraft

Attachments
Interdiction.jpg
Interdiction.jpg (509.95 KiB) Viewed 75 times
Q-Ball

RE: Nuances of Interdiction

Post by Q-Ball »

Attached is the air directive summary; maybe I should have not had on AUTO, but rather selected more missions, but we ran quite a few. Also, all planes ran 100% of Sorties.

Should I have reduced the loadouts and mixed in fuel tanks? 7 Days instead of 4? Or, manually increased the number of missions? Or a different altitude?

Or did my opponent just do a really good job here of spreading out FLAK? (Every unit you see seemed to have a flak unit attached)

As you can see, we suffered high losses, and the LW was absent.

Help appreciated on specific orders for Interdiction.

Attachments
Interdiction2.jpg
Interdiction2.jpg (307.93 KiB) Viewed 75 times
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

Why do you think it is bad result? I see 9-7's on the screenshots. It is probably possible to optimize it, but it is not so bad.
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

ORIGINAL: Helpless

Why do you think it is bad result? I see 9-7's on the screenshots. It is probably possible to optimize it, but it is not so bad.

There are some high numbers, I agree, but more low ones.....1,2,3s. I usually see a carpet of 6+ from the other side. Maybe I don't use enough AA?
whoofe

Post by whoofe »

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

ORIGINAL: Helpless

There are some high numbers, I agree, but more low ones.....1,2,3s. I usually see a carpet of 6+ from the other side. Maybe I don't use enough AA?

better than I usually get :(
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

What I'm curious about is what settings experienced players use in order to generate max interdiction, as well as hopefully keep Allied FBs flying. Any input?
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

I usually keep my interdiction boxes smaller. The hex I am attacking...the hexes adjacent to them..maybe one more out.

Shift-O will show you AA values. What can happen is a 'black hole' can develop. Fighter bombers try to interdict all the hexes equally...hit a hex or two with a lot of flak and do a small amount. So more planes try and bomb there on later days. And so on....causing the overall values to drop.

Those 0's I see are probably flak concentrations.

I also use to divide my fighter bombers in half (roughly). On one turn I would rest one of the groups while the other one flies...then switch.

I usually bomb with my FB's on auto. The computer seems to do a fine job of picking the correct bomb load so I don't mess with it...

“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

Thanks LS, I do think the ZEROS were flak, and I will say my opponent (smokingdave) did a really good job putting flak in this area. He broke lots of units down into Regts, and each had a FLAK unit, so that whole area was quite a flak trap. I don't think I tipped him off, but that particular area is one of the top invasion sites anyway.

We are firmly ashore with the beaches linked up, LeHavre cleared, and 3 hexes deep into France the first week of June, but running into a Panzer Wall. We have a plan for that though.....

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”