Screen Size Issues

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderators: Paullus, Peter Fisla

MikeMarchant_ssl

Screen Size Issues

Post by MikeMarchant_ssl »

Having watched some of the videos online, and particularly the tutorial on how to use the editor, I have realised that the screen shown to me by Tigers on the Hunt is too small. The smallness of my view has always been a great irritation, but I had thought it was a limitation of the game. This afternoon I decided to have a go at creating a scenario, but was then stumped when I was unable to change the forward arc of an AFV, because the buttons to do so in the editor fall behind the OOB display on the right hand side, and so are inaccessible.

Clearly there is a problem with the way TotH is displaying on my screen.

I use two screens, my main one is an 32" ultrawidescreen and my second is a normal 27" monitor. It wouldn't be feasible for me to play on the 27" monitor, because of its positioning. I have tried full screen mode and windowed mode, and have also dropped the resolution of the widescreen monitor down to 1920 x 1080 and edited the configuration.ini file appropriately, but again, both in fullscreen mode and windowed mode the TotH display far too small on my screen.

While using the editor I am able to see only the width of one board, plus an extra hex. Wile playing the game, the area displaying results is also very small (as has been mentioned elsewhere) and it's not possible to read a line of script without having to keep moving the scroll bar to the right.

How can I get the game to display properly?

Best Wishes

Mike
MikeMarchant_ssl

RE: Screen Size Issues

Hello?
Paullus

Post by Paullus »

Have you tried setting the DPI setting to 100% i Windows?
For my part, I shall do my duty as a general; I shall see to it that you are given the chance of a successful action. /Lucius Aemilius Paullus
MikeMarchant_ssl

Yes, the DPI setting has always been 100% (on both monitors), but I did check that just to make sure.

Best Wishes

Mike
MikeMarchant_ssl

I have performed some more tests today.

Having only my 1920x1080p monitor plugged into my laptop the same issues apply, whether in windowed mode or non windowed mode.

Having unplugged everything from the laptop and just using the laptop's built in screen (17.3", running natively at 1920x1080p) the same issues apply whether in windowed or no-windowed mode. In fact, apart from what it says in the config.ini file I can't tell the difference between the two - I have the same small window opened in the middle of the screen either way.

In all cases DPI is set to 100%.

Playing the game, there is always only one board's width plus one hex (same in the editor) and although the log window is full size to begin with, as soon as the first Admin segment is entered it suddenly jumps down to half size, making it too small to be practical. In the editor, the buttons to change covered arc and turret of an AFV are still hidden behind the OOB window. It's becoming hard for me to see what about my own setup is at fault.

The game is very enjoyable, so long as I am only playing very small scenarios where it's manageable, despite its faults, but any of the larger scenarios are just impossible.

I tried playing Popel's attack, but it's excruciating. An enemy unit moves, apparently I have a line of sight to it, but the game does not tell me which of my units has a line of sight and so I have to scroll to the other and of the screen, select a unit, and then scroll all the way back again to see if it has a LOS. And then I have to repeat this multiple times until I find the unit with a LOS. Having done that, the enemy unit moves another hex, and I have to repeat this tedious process all over again. That's bad enough, but the enemy has many other units, for which I am going to have to repeat this again, for every single one of them, for every single hex of movement.

Where's the fun in that? There really isn't any.

Best Wishes

Mike
kylania

Post by kylania »

I can tell you even in full screen that scenario is super annoying with how LOS is checked in game. :) You can just click on a hex and it'll highlight the target hex if there's LOS at least (assuming your LOS Tool is active). It's still an unacceptable amount of random and forced clicking and scrolling for something which should be immediately and clearly presented to the player.
Paullus

Post by Paullus »

Could you post a Print Screen?
For my part, I shall do my duty as a general; I shall see to it that you are given the chance of a successful action. /Lucius Aemilius Paullus
MikeMarchant_ssl

I've got the screenshots, but how do I insert or attach the images here?

Best Wishes

Mike
MikeMarchant_ssl

Got it!

Here are a couple of screenshots - the first is in the editor, the second in the game. If you draw alinf down the middle, vertically, and ignore everything in the right hand half, the left half is what you see on my screen.

Best Wishes

Mike

Attachments
Editor.jpg
Editor.jpg (502.8 KiB) Viewed 86 times
MikeMarchant_ssl

The second:

Attachments
Game.jpg
Game.jpg (457.75 KiB) Viewed 86 times
kylania

Post by kylania »

Ahh, ok yeah, this is cause by the fact that the windowed version of this game was coded so that it cannot be moved nor resized for some inexplicable reason. You're literally stuck with a centered application if you must run it windowed.

So even if you run it full screen at an accepted resolution just one one monitor it's still too small?
HeinzHarald

Post by HeinzHarald »

Have you tried setting the resolution to 2560x1440 in configuration.ini? It may be able to fit your screen, especially if you set the Windows taskbar to auto-hide.
MikeMarchant_ssl

ORIGINAL: kylania

Ahh, ok yeah, this is cause by the fact that the windowed version of this game was coded so that it cannot be moved nor resized for some inexplicable reason. You're literally stuck with a centered application if you must run it windowed.

So even if you run it full screen at an accepted resolution just one one monitor it's still too small?

It looks identical whether in windowed mode or full screen mode, there's no difference between the two.

Best Wishes

Mike
MikeMarchant_ssl

ORIGINAL: HeinzHarald

Have you tried setting the resolution to 2560x1440 in configuration.ini? It may be able to fit your screen, especially if you set the Windows taskbar to auto-hide.

I can't do 2560x1440, my graphics card won't support it, although the monitor will do a much higher resolution even than that. I generally work in 2560x1080.

Best Wishes

Mike
HeinzHarald

Post by HeinzHarald »

What resolution have you set the configuration.ini to at the moment, I thought it was 1920x1020? In any case there may be a higher resolution that the game supports that you can set it to to cover more of your screen.

Your graphics card probably won't care about what you set the game to as long as you're in windowed mode (the game may end up partly outside the screen if you go too high though).
MikeMarchant_ssl

ORIGINAL: HeinzHarald

What resolution have you set the configuration.ini to at the moment, I thought it was 1920x1020? In any case there may be a higher resolution that the game supports that you can set it to to cover more of your screen.

Your graphics card probably won't care about what you set the game to as long as you're in windowed mode (the game may end up partly outside the screen if you go too high though).

I've set the .ini file to 1920x1080, and I've also tried to run it on a 1920x1080 monitor (both windowed and non windowed) both on a separate monitor and on my laptop's screen. There are no higher resolutions that both my graphics card and the game support. No matter which of the very, very many different options I try, I get exactly the same result on the screen.

Best Wishes

Mike
Franciscus

Post by Franciscus »

Hi Mike

Your issue is very strange, because if you see always the same window with the same size, it seems the changes in the config.ini are not taking real effect. In my case I tried several different resolutions in windowed mode (in a 27' screen, 2560x1440 native resolution, windows 7), and the differences were obvious.

I can only guess that the changes you are making in the config.ini file are just not making any effect. Why I don't know.
- maybe you installed to default Programs(x86) folder and you are not running as admin - maybe windows 10 is not letting you really change the ini file ? I always install my games to a custom folder.
- are you sure that when you make the manual changes in the ini file you are overwriting the original .ini file and not a copy or .txt file ?
- have you tried, after making changes to the .ini file, to reboot your session (it seems silly, but that was the only way I managed the game to run in non-windowed mode, 2560x1440 with 125% scaling - it only worked after a reboot).

Sorry if my sugestions are rubbish, hope your problem is solved

Regards
Former AJE team member
MikeMarchant_ssl

ORIGINAL: Franciscus

Hi Mike

Your issue is very strange, because if you see always the same window with the same size, it seems the changes in the config.ini are not taking real effect. In my case I tried several different resolutions in windowed mode (in a 27' screen, 2560x1440 native resolution, windows 7), and the differences were obvious.

I can only guess that the changes you are making in the config.ini file are just not making any effect. Why I don't know.
- maybe you installed to default Programs(x86) folder and you are not running as admin - maybe windows 10 is not letting you really change the ini file ? Ialways install my games to a custom folder.
- are you sure that when you make the manual changes in the ini file you are overwriting the original .ini file and not a copy or .txt file ?
- have you tried, after making changes to the .ini file, to reboot your session (it seems silly, but that was the only way I managed the game to run in non-windowed mode, 2560x1440 with 125% scaling - it only worjed after a reboot).

Sorry if my sugestions are rubbish, hope your problem is solved

Regards

No, I very much appreciate your help, Franciscus, as I do everyone else's.

The .ini file has definitely been saved properly and is installed to the x86 folder, as expected. There isn't a problem with me naming it incorrectly or giving it the wrong extension (I check things like that carefully - but you are right to flag it up, in case I hadn't done so).

I do also reboot, so that doesn't seem to be the problem.

I will check to see whether it's running with full Administrator rights, though. I haven't yet done that.

I might also uninstall and reinstall to a custom folder. I'll give that a go tomorrow.

Thanks for your help.

Best Wishes

Mike

MikeMarchant_ssl

Franciscus, Muito obrigado.

Setting the .exe files to run as administrator has solved the problem.

I can't tell you what a relief this is. You wouldn't believe what a tiny area of the board I have been playing on, and when I loaded the game properly for the first time (a few minutes ago) and I saw the vast expanse of board visible to me it was almost breathtaking. This will such an enormous difference.

I'll say - Muito obrigado again.

Best Wishes

Mike
Franciscus

Post by Franciscus »

ORIGINAL: MikeMarchant_ssl

Franciscus, Muito obrigado.

Setting the .exe files to run as administrator has solved the problem.

I can't tell you what a relief this is. You wouldn't believe what a tiny area of the board I have been playing on, and when I loaded the game properly for the first time (a few minutes ago) and I saw the vast expanse of board visible to me it was almost breathtaking. This will such an enormous difference.

I'll say - Muito obrigado again.

Best Wishes

Mike

De nada [:)]

I am glad I could help.

Best regards
Former AJE team member

Return to “Tech Support”