Perfect AI Set UP?

Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The initial release focuses on World War II and includes a number of historical scenarios as well as a full editor! This forum supports both the original Advanced Tactics and the new and improved Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition.

Moderator: Vic

basilstaghare

Perfect AI Set UP?

Post by basilstaghare »

I have played a number of Random New Dawn AI Games and am very much intrigued by the game and system...the only issue is that I rarely find a well matched game...its the goldilocks syndrome: Too hard or too easy...after spending several hours in the early game establishing infrastructure (which I dearly love), I find that I either get crushed or I roll over the enemy AI...I have tried many different set ups...just wondering what the veteran players have found as good starting parameters for a random AI game? Thanks!
Tac2i

RE: Perfect AI Set UP?

Post by Tac2i »

These are the settings I've been using as reflected in several AARs I've written about in the After Action Reports forum:

Random Game Settings:
Standard AI
Delayed War Mod (peace for at least three turns)
Large or X-Large Map
Land World (some ocean)
Map Loop
Stone Age (less units researched at start)
Full Climate
3 or 4 AI regimes
Depleted Land (less resources)
My regime moves last
At Start Nations

Using these settings it takes about 60+ turns to achieve victory. Usually I get pushed hard by the AI in the first 12-24 turns of war. If you survive those turns, and I always do, you then slowly go on the offensive in most places. If all AI regimes go to war with you, which seems to happens more times than not, you are in for a tough, long and intense fight but its lots of fun. I never use the limited roads option as that handicaps the AI much more than a human player. I also do not use the tank modeling feature or paratroopers as the AI does not use either. By making my regime move last and using Depleted Land option I attempt to give the AI a little better footing for fighting. I also use the editor to tidy up the map prior to starting. The random map generator is good but not perfect. If you have never played another human player I'd suggest giving that a try at least once. That is the ultimate challenge.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
basilstaghare

Post by basilstaghare »

ORIGINAL: Webizen

I never use the limited roads option as that handicaps the AI much more than a human player.

Ah...I'm assuming No Roads option makes this even worse?....could be part of the problem...
bobarossa

Post by bobarossa »

ORIGINAL: basilhare_ssl
ORIGINAL: Webizen

I never use the limited roads option as that handicaps the AI much more than a human player.

Ah...I'm assuming No Roads option makes this even worse?....could be part of the problem...
I tried that once and the AI couldn't connect its cities together. Read somewhere to never used limited/no roads with AI. The AI does know how to build roads to support an advance.
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Ai also does not use aircraft right or naval. I pretty much have given up with putting oceans in my ai games. I tried giving the ai shipwharfs to force it to build ships, it build CVs which it can not use because it wont put aircraft on them. As for aircraft I have NEVER seen much defense or offense out of the ai with aircraft. and it lumps what it builds into one group.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
basilstaghare

Post by basilstaghare »

Do you guys play against normal AI or + / ++ ? Thanks.
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Depends on what I want. the + and ++ setting increase AI production. I enjoy long games and have discovered that in real long games the AI runs out of supplies because it builds to many troops.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

I've seen the AI build out its rail net to some degree but it definitely does not deal well with no or limited roads. I have, as already mentioned by others, seen the AI build so much stuff to the point that all those units are ineffective.
ORIGINAL: bobarossa

The AI does know how to build roads to support an advance.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

Gary Gardner and I are playing a two human, four AI game and the AIs are doing a wonderful job with their ships. Tons of amphibious assaults, aggressive attacking, a very fine naval challenge.

None of us are using planes yet so I can't speak to that aspect.

Chuck
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

By amphibious assault do you mean an invasion (invade, build port, move inland)? I've seen the AI conduct what I call amphibious raids (land a combat unit on the shoreline) but I've never seen the AI conduct an invasion with an attempt to establish a supplied beachhead.
ORIGINAL: cpdeyoung

Gary Gardner and I are playing a two human, four AI game and the AIs are doing a wonderful job with their ships. Tons of amphibious assaults, aggressive attacking, a very fine naval challenge.

None of us are using planes yet so I can't speak to that aspect.

Chuck
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

No, I have never seen them build a port either, but they are great at keeping units at 100% without a port.

Here is a shot of Nippon bookending my capitol. Those same hexes have see invasions by Burgundy and the Holy Empire. Vienna is a popular spot to vacation it seems.

Chuck

Attachments
NipponInvasion.jpg
NipponInvasion.jpg (63.61 KiB) Viewed 71 times

Return to “Advanced Tactics Series”