OT: Visit to London

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

kbfchicago

OT: Visit to London

Post by kbfchicago »

Fellow Forum mates,

Visiting London and surrounding areas early this summer for 10 days. Never been. Assume most of you, like myself have interests in history. Anticipating some have visited England or live there. Any recommendations for "not to miss" sites or museums you have visited?

In addition to the WWII period my personal focus is WWI aviation and the Napoleonic period. Wife is quite keen on ancient Egypt (but has also been to England twice before to include the British Museum with large Egyptian collection)

Thanks in advance for your observations and suggestions...

Kevin
MacBook Pro / WITP-AE running in Parallels v15.x
Oberst_Klink

RE: OT: Visit to London

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: kbfchicago

Fellow Forum mates,

Visiting London and surrounding areas early this summer for 10 days. Never been. Assume most of you, like myself have interests in history. Anticipating some have visited England or live there. Any recommendations for "not to miss" sites or museums you have visited?

In addition to the WWII period my personal focus is WWI aviation and the Napoleonic period. Wife is quite keen on ancient Egypt (but has also been to England twice before to include the British Museum with large Egyptian collection)

Thanks in advance for your observations and suggestions...

Kevin
For your ancient history interests: British Museum
WW1/WW2: Imperial War Museum
Maritime Museum in Greenwich I can highly recommend, as well as the Observatory there.

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

I fully support Klink's recommendations and in addition, a new "must see" is Churchill's bunker complex that is right off Whitehall, as it is an interactive piece of history that really has a LOT to offer for you and your wife. Hal

PS There is also a great pub, the oldest free house in England called "The Royal Standard of England" if I'm recalling correctly that is about 20 miles out along the London Oxford road (A-40?). I can't remember the name of the town but it has the very BEST home brewed beer I've ever tasted. I'll try to look up the name of the town... but a really great country setting (you will need a car).
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Just found the pub's location, Beaconsfield... here is the web site: http://rsoe.co.uk/

Hal
pontiouspilot

Post by pontiouspilot »

The Imp War Museum has 3 locations. In addition to the main location there is an RAF museum north of London and the cruiser anchored in the Thames by the Tower of London (name escapes me). Also north of London is a second RAF Battle of Britain Museum...I think it is RAF Hendon.
Anachro

Post by Anachro »

In addition to the above mentioned (Imp War museum, British museum), the National Army Museum is also good.
"Now excuse me while I go polish my balls ..." - BBfanboy
Arnhem44

Post by Arnhem44 »

Upvotes for IWM London, Churchill War Rooms and HMS Belfast.

In addition I also recommend the Guards Museum at Wellington Barracks, it's a fairly small museum which you can easily cover in about an hour.
http://www.theguardsmuseum.com/
While there you can also pop into the Guards Chapel next door, this one is a real special place to visit, I daresay you won't visit many chapels like this one in your lifetime, well worth the look.
http://www.army.mod.uk/chaplains/23369.aspx
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Stay out of those phone boxes. You never know where you'll end up. You really don't want to run into any Daleks.

AndyDuke

Post by AndyDuke »

If you get the chance, go to the Shuttleworth collection - best collection of WWI aircraft in airworthy condition in the UK.
Andy
Mike Dubost

Post by Mike Dubost »

I highly recommend London Walks. No reservation required, just show up at the meeting point (usually a tube station). Their schedule is available at www.walks.com.

On my recent trip, I found multiple walks that I enjoyed. There are a range of topics and areas of London covered, and a few day trips too (Salisbury and Stonehenge, WOW!).
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: pontiouspilot

The Imp War Museum has 3 locations. In addition to the main location there is an RAF museum north of London and the cruiser anchored in the Thames by the Tower of London (name escapes me). Also north of London is a second RAF Battle of Britain Museum...I think it is RAF Hendon.
+++Double Posting+++
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: pontiouspilot

IWM Duxford http://www.iwm.org.uk/visits/iwm-duxford. Might be a bit far from London.

Attachments
Capture.jpg
Capture.jpg (42.74 KiB) Viewed 219 times
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

If you land at Heathrow, you are already at the site of the very historic "Biggin Hill" airbase from WW2 where true legends Douglas Bader and Johnny E Johnson flew from.

Seek out the Sherlock Holmes museum of 221b Baker Street. (I mean, as long as you are gonna be there...)

Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: m10bob

If you land at Heathrow, you are already at the site of the very historic "Biggin Hill" airbase from WW2 where true legends Douglas Bader and Johnny E Johnson flew from.

Seek out the Sherlock Holmes museum of 221b Baker Street. (I mean, as long as you are gonna be there...)

Your incorrect on all counts.

Heathrow is not Biggin Hill. Heathrow is west London while Biggin Hill is NW Kent, distance 40 or 50 miles away. It might have been attached to Biggin during the Battle of Britain but I think this is doubt full as it was attached to nearby Northolt.

Bader might well have used Heathrow but he was never based there. During BofB but he was based at Duxford (see pic I post earlier) in charge of the big wing.

For Johnston, he was based at Tangmere during the BofB, this time in W Sussex close to the south coast. Late war Bader was also based here.
obvert

Post by obvert »

A good selection here already.

I'd add some more far flung attractions like Portsmouth, Dover, Bletchley Park and Bovington.

I've yet to visit the Bovington Tank Museum in Dorset, but may do this summer if another forumite comes (as planned) over from Germany.
http://www.tankmuseum.org/home

There are two sites for the RAF Museum as well, one at Hendon on the outskirts of London.
http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk

There are quite a few other aviation museums in the UK. This list looks pretty comprehensive, if daunting, but you may find more WW1 centered exhibits in some of these too.
http://www.deroeck.co.uk/aviation-museums.html

HMS Victory at Portsmouth harbor, which is pretty amazing to tour, and near to lots of modern naval vessels that may or may not be visible in the port.
http://www.hms-victory.com

The Royal Navy Submarine Museum is also there, with HMS Alliance to visit.
https://www.submarine-museum.co.uk

Fort Nelson Royal Armories Museum of artillery pieces is there as well.
https://www.visitengland.com/experience/discover-spooky-tunnels-royal-armouries-fort-nelson

Bletchley Park is a great visit.
https://www.bletchleypark.org.uk/content/visit/

Museum of London - a good place to go or a more thorough history of London, good ruins and views of Roman wall and fortifications, and rotating exhibits. Has photographs of London during the blitz available.
http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/london-wall/

Dover is also interesting, although a bit seedy. Walks of course are amazing along the cliffs. There is a small museum that has a range of stuff on the city's importance over time, and includes a WW2 section on the large artillery battles across channel that is fascinating and terrifying.
http://www.dovermuseum.co.uk/Home.aspx

Also, ifyou're intersested in pubs, good food, markets or anything else from a local perspective contact me directly. I'm always happy to recommend. Been here for going on 9 years, so I've learned a few tricks.

I'd also be happy to treat any forumite to a pint if you make it to London! [:)]
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
RogerJNeilson

Post by RogerJNeilson »

Bovington, whilst not so easy to get to from London is the best tank museum I have seen - and very well laid out I feel.

If you can get to Duxford for the Imperial War Museum planes there you will also find an almost complete RAF station from the Battle of Britain on the site - superb to wander round.

Roger
An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released
kbfchicago

Post by kbfchicago »

Thanks all, great list to work our way through! Kevin
MacBook Pro / WITP-AE running in Parallels v15.x
Jellicoe

Post by Jellicoe »

Lots of excellent suggestions. Could I also mention the royal artillery museum down in Greenwich, not too far from national maritime museum. Also worth a look is the dockyard museum at Chatham which has a Ca class destroyer HMS Cavalier, an Oberon class sub and a Victorian sloop, HMS Gannet. Victory was built here. Just under the hour on the train from London

For food Borough Market is worth a trip just south of the river and have a pint in the Market Porter or over the road at the George

Best pint for my taste is a Sussex Best from Lewes but the best approach to British beer is to try as much as possible!
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

ORIGINAL: Chris H

ORIGINAL: m10bob

Your incorrect on all counts.

Heathrow is not Biggin Hill. Heathrow is west London while Biggin Hill is NW Kent, distance 40 or 50 miles away. It might have been attached to Biggin during the Battle of Britain but I think this is doubt full as it was attached to nearby Northolt.

Bader might well have used Heathrow but he was never based there. During BofB but he was based at Duxford (see pic I post earlier) in charge of the big wing.

For Johnston, he was based at Tangmere during the BofB, this time in W Sussex close to the south coast. Late war Bader was also based here.
Thank you for the correction..Now the OP will know where to look..[:)]

obvert

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: Jellicoe

Lots of excellent suggestions. Could I also mention the royal artillery museum down in Greenwich, not too far from national maritime museum. Also worth a look is the dockyard museum at Chatham which has a Ca class destroyer HMS Cavalier, an Oberon class sub and a Victorian sloop, HMS Gannet. Victory was built here. Just under the hour on the train from London

For food Borough Market is worth a trip just south of the river and have a pint in the Market Porter or over the road at the George

Best pint for my taste is a Sussex Best from Lewes but the best approach to British beer is to try as much as possible!

I've been wanting to get down there to Chatham. Thanks for the reminder!
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”