RTA used in Burma to pay or not pay PPs?

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Bif1961

RTA used in Burma to pay or not pay PPs?

Post by Bif1961 »

I need a poll answered. Many Japanese players use elements of the Royal Thailand Army, RTA, in Burma, should they pay or not pay Political Points before their use?[&:]
RogerJNeilson

RE: RTA used in Burma to pay or not pay PPs?

Post by RogerJNeilson »

As far as I am concerned, feel free, they are rubbish and might as well die elsewhere as back in Thailand.Once the Allied forces start to get decent combat experience and equipment they cannot stand against much in the Allied inventory. Never having played the Empire I have no idea whether in the totality of things the expenditure or not of PPs will make any significant difference.

Roger
An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

RTA units are permanent restricted

paying PP won't work. because you simply can't change HQs.

most PBEM games have a house rule that you can only cross national borders after paying PP. Hence, in most games this is not allowed.

That said, in both PBEM games I am playing (as both Allied and Japan), we allow Thai and Chinese troops in Burma
As Roger said, it is not a big deal, as these troops are good for garrison at most.

"Assault Value" is, purposely, one of the most deceptive values in this game.
kbfchicago

Post by kbfchicago »

Allowed.

However, when I play AI as IJ limit myself to S. of Mandaly Leshio line (essentially garrison duty around Rangoon)

As a related exception, we have allowed Allied units to Akyab (just the two hexes South of India connected by road to India) without PP buy out. If they go South of the Naaf River, PPs must be paid first.
MacBook Pro / WITP-AE running in Parallels v15.x
Bif1961

Post by Bif1961 »

As far as I am concerned, feel free, they are rubbish and might as well die elsewhere as back in Thailand.Once the Allied forces start to get decent combat experience and equipment they cannot stand against much in the Allied inventory. Never having played the Empire I have no idea whether in the totality of things the expenditure or not of PPs will make any significant difference.

Roger

Thank you for your response.
Bif1961

Post by Bif1961 »

RTA units are permanent restricted

paying PP won't work. because you simply can't change HQs.

most PBEM games have a house rule that you can only cross national borders after paying PP. Hence, in most games this is not allowed.

That said, in both PBEM games I am playing (as both Allied and Japan), we allow Thai and Chinese troops in Burma
As Roger said, it is not a big deal, as these troops are good for garrison at most.

"Assault Value" is, purposely, one of the most deceptive values in this game.

That has been my experience in the several games I have played. The RTA HQ is a subordinate to the Southern Japanese Army and that can be changed with PPs.
Bif1961

Post by Bif1961 »

Allowed.

However, when I play AI as IJ limit myself to S. of Mandaly Leshio line (essentially garrison duty around Rangoon)

As a related exception, we have allowed Allied units to Akyab (just the two hexes South of India connected by road to India) without PP buy out. If they go South of the Naaf River, PPs must be paid first.

There are several examples where prior agreement would work out the rough spots, thanks for your reply.
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

ORIGINAL: kbfchicago

Allowed.

Almost ditto

Allowed to take Moulmein and all places south, I also allow them into Malaya and occupy Penang & Kota Bharu.

While pretty weak, behind 6 forts they take some prying out.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
leehunt27@bloomberg.net

Post by leehunt27@bloomberg.net »

Allowed- its not a game changer no matter what. Also makes sense if Japan was "winning" that they would want a share of the spoils gained by adventuring over the border.
John 21:25
Bif1961

Post by Bif1961 »

Thanks to those who responded it seems that the consensus is that they are typically allowed into Burma and Malaya with some restrictions that are previously agree upon. [:)]
Alpha77

Post by Alpha77 »

I use them anywhere I can get them. The AI uses Canadian mounties on pacific islands too :)

And they are not as "rubbish" as pointed out, they are good garrison troops and can also gain some exp.

But it is indeed better to put some restrictions on yourself if playing vs. AI.
John B.

Post by John B. »

I agree. We use Burma as a cockpit. Anyone can go in there. And, we let the Chinese into Vietnam (or we would but we've never gotten there) since historically Chinese units occupied Hanoi. Anything else and you have to pay PP. The RTA is sort of like the burmese troops, not that good but with forts can help protect against air drops behind the lines.
John Barr
Macclan5

Post by Macclan5 »

Wikipedia suggests that the RTA (and Indian National Army) were not deployed in such a fashion till 10 May 1942....

I have no information that would refute such a statement.

Question 1 - Does "real life" historical dates factor into such house rules ?

A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.
Alpha77

Post by Alpha77 »

Isnt this only 1 div plus 1 cav unit in game that can be moved at all ? And a weak div at that. Maybe too much hassle for such weak force ? [:)]

Return to “The War Room”