Friday Night Flights

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

LiquidSky

Friday Night Flights

Post by LiquidSky »

I finally decided to mess around with the editor to see if I could create a scenario. Since I happened to be watching Colbert Late Show I thought I would try this:

I bring you: FRIDAY NIGHT FLIGHTS!

Where I pit 200 fighters of one kind versus another in hot plane on plane action!

All experience/morale levels are over 90 and with enough fuel/ammo to start WW2

A 3 x 3 Superiority box is built and both sides fly the Superiority mission into it. Altitiude will depend on the aircraft being chosen.

So without further adieu I bring you Supermarine Spitfire vs Hawker Hurricane

At 9.12m long and weighing in at 6622lbs fully loaded, the Spitfire packs a Rolls-Royce Merlin 45 supercharged V12 engine giving it a max speed of 370mph.
In its 'B' configuration twin 20mm Hispano MK11 cannons with 4 .303 Browning MkII machine guns bring the hurt to the perp to the dirt.
It's sexy sleek lines are the last thing you will see in your rearview mirror before plummeting to your death.

At 9.84m long and weighing in at 7670lbs fully loaded, the Hurricane packs a Rolls-Royce Merlin XX liquid-cooled V-12, allowing it a lumbering speed of 340mph.
In its 'IIB' configuration disdains the cannons for a total of 12 .303 Browinings. This baby pumps lead.

So it's time to see who really won the Battle of Britain. Hawker vrs Supermarine in an all English smackdown.

And OH! WHAT AN UPSET! It appears the Hurricane has won this match. Score is:

Even though the Hurricane won this round, the Spitfire pilots still get all the babes in the bar.
Attachments
HurricaneSpitfire.jpg
HurricaneSpitfire.jpg (35.37 KiB) Viewed 552 times
“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great
LiquidSky

RE: Friday Night Flights

Post by LiquidSky »

The Spitfire pilots have cried foul! and want a rematch..this time switching sides.

So in the interest of fairness, we will run this again on different sides, and add the total losses together to see who has the least loss.

And here we go:

And this time it is the Spitfire who comes up on top, but is it enough to make a difference?

Spitfire----- 133 + 102 losses = 235 total.
Hurricane---- 93 + 112 losses = 205 total.

It appears the Hurricane won the Battle of Britain!
Attachments
SpitfireHurricane.jpg
SpitfireHurricane.jpg (37.27 KiB) Viewed 550 times
“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: LiquidSky

It appears the Hurricane won the Battle of Britain!

Nice test. From the little I've read, think you ended up with the right answer too
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

I plan to do one of these every week...but I'm having so much fun with it I think I will do another one. I seem to be able to take any plane in the editor and give it to each side. I even tried the identical plane to see if the results were going to be one sided. It was some pretty hot Spit on Spit action.

Might try something a bit low and slow this time.

LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

Tonight we have a new matchup. It's the Swallow vs the Meatbox.

Introduced early in 1944, the Swallow aka Me262 took the world by storm. Measuring at 10.6m and weighing in at 6473kg loaded, this swallow shows she can spit 30mm cannons.
With a maximum speed of 900km/hr, you wont know she's there before your a flaming wreck.

The Meatbox aka Gloster Meteor was built to beat the Swallow. With a length of 44ft7in and weighing 15,700lbs, this fighter is in a class all to itself. Armed with 4 of the dependable 20mm Hispano cannons and moving at a blistering 965km/hr will she rip through her enemies.

So the question remains....can the Swallow beat the Meatbox? Or will the Meatbox take the Swallow?

Here is the first round:

And OHHHH! It wasn't even close. The Me262 proved the name of the British jet to be correct in that it was a flaming hunk of rock hitting the earth.

Attachments
Me262MeteorF.3.jpg
Me262MeteorF.3.jpg (33.71 KiB) Viewed 550 times
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

And here is the rematch..switching sides.

And despite having home field advantage, the British Meteor goes down in flames.

Meteor F.3 --- 120 + 128 = 248
Me262-2a ----- 57 + 43 = 100

Attachments
MeteorF.3.JPGMe262.jpg
MeteorF.3.JPGMe262.jpg (32.63 KiB) Viewed 550 times
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

Where did this fight happen - over Axis or over allied ground?
It somewhat worries me to see axis loose all pilots as KIA whereas Allied only 2/3rd (or is FoW on?)
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

Its an entirely invented scenario. I have two airfields in Tunisia....Each at level 3 with 12 squadrons. I change those squadrons to whatever aircraft I want...I set them to superiority mission 3 hex box inbetween them then hit go.

I do it twice with each side initiating the fight in case there is an attacker/defender bias, and add up the damage to see who won.

Its not meant to be serious. I plan to try some sillier stuff like early war planes vrs late war...that sort of thing. I take requests!

Looking at it most of it is fought over the 'allied' side of the line...so more pilots would die on the 'axis' side....but its not about the pilots. Its about the machines!
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

I assume a fight over Axis ground would reverse the KIA ratio - maybe you wanna test latewar P-47/51 vs 109G-10/K-4 and/or 190D-9/Ta152. Or, to stay on one side, try Fw 190A vs 109F-4, Fw 190A-4 vs 109G-2, 109G-2 vs MC.202, 109G-6 vs MC.205
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

Its way more fun to do silly stuff. [:D] Especially since I've been drinking.

Before I go to bed I bring you my final matchup of the night.

I bring you: the PZL P.7 vrs the Me262

The Polish PZL P.7 first flown in Oct. 1930 comes in at light 1476kgs....with a 520hp Bristol Jupiter VIIF 9 cylinder radial engine. Capable of reaching 327mph with a tail wind, this world class fighter won the American National Air Races in 1931. Armed with two monkeys hanging on the wings armed with Grandpa's 7.7mm Vickers E Machineguns, this badboy could claim a total of 7 downed German aircraft for a loss of 22 of its own.
It was noted (and I quote) "to confuse and disturb German bombing raids with their aggressive presence, than to shoot down bombers"

Against this top of the line 1930 mono fighter plane we pit the Me262, which needs no introduction.

Apparently I've been told that this fight may seem a bit lopsided.... so to even things up we shall have 480 PZL's on one side vrs 48 Me262's...with any shot down Me's counting as 10 planes.

Can the Polish planes shoot any of the Me262's? Will any of the Polish planes survive? Will I just get on with it?

Here we go!

OOO....what a surprise! 6 Me262's were downed! Oh wait...those were operational losses. I guess the Polish planes confused and disturbed them. But only 82 polish planes were shot down...

EDIT: In the interest of full disclosure I am of Polish ancestry
Attachments
PZLvrsMe262.jpg
PZLvrsMe262.jpg (32.88 KiB) Viewed 551 times
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

With the allies taking the field first, we have a more bloody affair.

The final score being:

ME262 10 + 6 = 16 (times 10) FINAL: 160 losses
PZL P.7 115 + 82 = 197 losses

A good showing for the polish pilots.
Attachments
me262vspzl.jpg
me262vspzl.jpg (32.68 KiB) Viewed 551 times
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

Code: Select all

AIRCRAFT PERFORMANCE STATISTICS       DESTROYED     DAMAGED     DAMAGE POINTS      SORTIES
 ____________________________________________________________________________________________
 F R I E N D L Y
                TOTAL                   82           162         3333

Me 262A-2a        0            24          117              250
                TOTAL                    0            63          179

Apparently on further reflection...the increased losses of Me262's was caused by the enthusiastic home crowd firing bullets up in the air to cheer on their side. Doing more damage then the PZL's themselves.
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

World of WITW Aircraft. Me 262A is so good that it should be sold separately. [:)]
Pavel Zagzin
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

In an effort to knock the Me262 off it's pedestal...I bring you:

The TA152-H. Arguably the best Piston aircraft of WW2 (although the Americans might have something to say about that later), it weighs in at a hefty 4,727kg sporting a liquid-cooled inverted V12 Jumo 213E powerplant this demon is capable of a maximum speed of 759 km/h
Armed with twin 20mm Cannons and a 30mm punisher there is no doubt that this plane can dish out more then it can take.

Lets see how she does against our reigning champ:

Not a bad showing for our piston friend, but not enough to win...lets see how she does with home field advantage.
Attachments
ta152me262.jpg
ta152me262.jpg (34.65 KiB) Viewed 551 times
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

Do to an error in programming, the Ta152H's fielded way more aircraft then they were supposed to.

So round 1 was refought with 144 aircraft a side.

And the results are now in:

Attachments
ta152me262.jpg
ta152me262.jpg (35.83 KiB) Viewed 551 times
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

Whoa....I moved the fight to 30,000 feet. The Me262 did not like that not a lot, not even a little bit.

Attachments
ta152me262.jpg
ta152me262.jpg (33.5 KiB) Viewed 551 times
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

And to show it isn't a fluke..here is the allied side taking it to the axis.

The final score:

ME262 losses: 146
Ta152H losses: 71
Attachments
me262ta152.jpg
me262ta152.jpg (31.21 KiB) Viewed 551 times
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

I moved the fight to 30,000 feet

What was original altitude?
Pavel Zagzin
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

20 000. Feet. But the wiki said the Ta152H was a high altitude fighter so I thought I would bump to up since I really wanted to dethrone the me262

And thus concludes the first instalment of Friday night Fights

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”