OT: Old Pictures of Men in WWII and Korea

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Footslogger

OT: Old Pictures of Men in WWII and Korea

Post by Footslogger »

Looking at these pictures was really interesting and funny.

Now I don't think they will make you swoon. Maybe Kull should have a looksy. [;)]

http://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/smar ... hp#image=1

Jorge_Stanbury

RE: OT: Old Pictures of Men in WWII and Korea

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

Nah, other than realizing how young they all were
Big B

Post by Big B »

Here are two pictures from WWII and the Korean War,
On the left is my Dad's older brother Roland (Uncle Bud) in WWII, shoulder patch is Army Service Forces (he was drafted in early 1941).
On the right is Bill (my Dad) in Korea on Koje-do, after being released from the 5th Regimental Combat Team ...probably late 1952 or early 1953.
My dad was bitter about Korea, but about 5 years after the Korean War memorial was debuted in Washington DC, he came to terms with it and thought they were long overdue for such a thing.

B

Attachments
military.jpg
military.jpg (210.57 KiB) Viewed 93 times
CaptBeefheart

Post by CaptBeefheart »

Big B: If your father is still with us I'd encourage a visit out here. When veterans come over and see how well the country is doing they realize their sacrifice wasn't made in vain.

As a bonus, the Korean government really treats veterans well when they visit if it's part of an official trip (not to mention average Koreans as well).

Koje-do (spelled Geoje-do nowadays if you're looking for it on Google Maps) was where they kept the Communist POWs. Did your father have something to do with that?

Cheers,
CC
Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

A couple of the pics from the original post are Vietnam era.

Big B

Post by Big B »

ORIGINAL: Commander Cody

Big B: If your father is still with us I'd encourage a visit out here. When veterans come over and see how well the country is doing they realize their sacrifice wasn't made in vain.

As a bonus, the Korean government really treats veterans well when they visit if it's part of an official trip (not to mention average Koreans as well).

Koje-do (spelled Geoje-do nowadays if you're looking for it on Google Maps) was where they kept the Communist POWs. Did your father have something to do with that?

Cheers,
CC

Yes,Koje-do was THE big POW camp during the Korean War - right off Pusan. They had a lot of problems there that became international affairs - you can google it,... at one point the communist POWs even captured General Dodd - the commanding officer...it's an interesting read really.
My dad was transferred there after serving as an infantryman with the 5thRCT up on the line in the Iron Triangle, in early '52.

He was transferred to the 64th Field Hospital if I remember correctly, they had no idea what to do with him - so he ended up for the most part having it made there - from what he says.
I think the only contact he had with POW's was picking them up at Pusan and taking them by barge to Koje-do, then they were someone else's problem.

B

Edit: Thanks Commander Cody, yes my dad is still with us, and I'll pass on your kind message .[;)][8D]
KMCCARTHY

Post by KMCCARTHY »

Going through the Atlanta airport in 2007, I was struck by the baby faced PFCs in the Army going back to Iraq with CIBs and Combat patches. I was 46 then...
zuluhour

Post by zuluhour »

My dad in the Pacific circa '44

Attachments
IMG_0735dad1.jpg
IMG_0735dad1.jpg (76.86 KiB) Viewed 93 times
Big B

Post by Big B »

zuluhour, interesting picture - is he on a motor launch or a PT in the photo? Looks like it could be either?
zuluhour

Post by zuluhour »

I sent him an email, I'm not sure he remembers to look at it.[;)] I hope to have his photo albums digitized some day, he had a really
nice German Agfa camera for the period. I think he bought it in San Diego.

**He says he aboard the Newman K. Perry here.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”