Same Game Halting Bug Different Game!

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Auchinleck

Same Game Halting Bug Different Game!

Post by Auchinleck »

I posted the following Bug from the last Solitaire Global War I was playing:

"The game will not allow me to progress past Jan/February 1943's End of Turn REFORM CORPS/ARMIES Phase for the Russians, right after completing the Russian Production phase". The Green Button to End the phase is not there.

New game, same phase, same game halting bug, right after the Russian Production Phase, Sep/Oct 1941 this time. I haven't broken down any Russian Corps, or Chinese Communist Corps for that matter, and hadn't last game where this hung up during the same phase, yet I can't get to the next turn of Nov/Dec 1941. I've tried everything I can think of to get the Green button to light, but no soap. As a result, I can't complete a Solitaire Global War. Very frustrating to say the least. But I'm keeping my cool about it this time. How do I upload the saved game where I am always getting stuck, so somebody in Tech can see this Bug is very real?
alexvand

RE: Same Game Halting Bug Different Game!

Post by alexvand »

I have run into a similar bug in the past. If I closed the program and re-loaded the save game it would work. Which of course meant I could never send in a save game with the error!
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

ORIGINAL: Auchinleck

"The game will not allow me to progress past Jan/February 1943's End of Turn REFORM CORPS/ARMIES Phase for the Russians, right after completing the Russian Production phase". The Green Button to End the phase is not there.

New game, same phase, same game halting bug, right after the Russian Production Phase, Sep/Oct 1941 this time. I haven't broken down any Russian Corps, or Chinese Communist Corps for that matter, and hadn't last game where this hung up during the same phase, yet I can't get to the next turn of Nov/Dec 1941. I've tried everything I can think of to get the Green button to light, but no soap. As a result, I can't complete a Solitaire Global War. Very frustrating to say the least. But I'm keeping my cool about it this time. How do I upload the saved game where I am always getting stuck, so somebody in Tech can see this Bug is very real?

To put a saved game in the forums, zip the saved game file and upload it into the forums. You'll find the saved game in the appropriate folder, such as:

Matrix games - World in Flames - Scenarios - Global War - Saved Games
Peter
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

During the production phase (where exactly shouldn't matter) save the game with a unique name. Then zip the resulting GAM file (by right clicking on the GAM file and selecting "Send to" from the popup menu and "Compressed zipped folder" from the subnmenu).

Using the "reply" button (not the "fast reply" or "post reply") and you will be able to then use the "Click here to upload!" option to upload the Zipped file.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Auchinleck

Post by Auchinleck »

Unfortunately that had no effect. I've tried everything I can think of. I replied to Shannon's suggestion by uploading a zip file of the production phase, I hope he can diagnose the problem.
Auchinleck

Post by Auchinleck »

Hello Steve,

I followed your instructions to the letter. I clicked 'reply' to your post here, uploaded the zipped saved game of the Production phase, which I named 'Problem Phase Ahead' which is right before the problem with no green button to advance past the Reform Corps/Armies Phase after the Russian Production phase. Sending the uploaded file seemed to work. But how do I know you received it is my next question?
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Where is the post with the saved game file?

The process is to click reply to any post in the thread, and then in the bottom left will be a checkbox to upload a file. Then after you see it on the forum thread it should indicate there is an attachment. Any member can click on that and can download it.

See post #1 of this thread for an example: tm.asp?m=4035058
Paul
Auchinleck

Post by Auchinleck »

I don't get what the problem with uploading the file is. When I choose the .zip file of the game I saved, I'm getting the message 'File Uploaded Successfully'. So why it isn't posting as an attachment I'm sure I don't understand. What am I doing wrong? The file I keep uploading is a winrar.zip file entitled Problem Phase Ahead.zip.
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

The only thing I can think of is the ".zip" is part of the file name and you have View options set to not show file extensions. In other words it's not a zip file, maybe it is really named: "Problem Phase Ahead.zip.rar".

Instead of using winrar you can try right clicking the saved game and selecting: Send To and then pick Compressed (zipped) folder, then upload that.
Paul
Auchinleck

Post by Auchinleck »

[:@]
Attachments
ProblemPhaseAhead.zip
(1.57 MiB) Downloaded 6 times
Auchinleck

Post by Auchinleck »

I wasn't submitting the post. I thought when it said 'File Uploaded Successfully', that meant it was automatically sent. Ouch. Anyway now you have it. I don't want to keep starting all over again, because I've lost confidence that I will be able to complete a game without having this annoying roadblock each time. So whoever can get me past it, I will be almost eternally grateful.
Auchinleck

Post by Auchinleck »

[:'(]
Attachments
ProblemPhaseAhead.zip
(1.57 MiB) Downloaded 7 times
Auchinleck

Post by Auchinleck »

[&o]
Attachments
ProblemPhaseAhead.zip
(1.57 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

I loaded the game and advanced it and when I got to Russia I had a green end phase button after production and when I hit that, it skipped right on by all the Reform steps.

Did you try a save and reload at the same point that it happened originally? Or do you still have a saved game where the green phase button is not lit when you load it and thus it cannot be progressed?

If so, please post that saved game.
Paul
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

I also ran the saved game: from the Preliminary Production Phase through to the Production phase. Once the Production phase completed, the game advanced to the next turn reinforcements - which was correct.

If you have a saved game from the Production phase, that might enable us to find the problem.

----

My only thought is that the there might be naval units in the abort queue that never successfully returned to base. That might have happened somehow in the return to base phase.

The only somewhat unusual item I saw was that there was a Commonwealth fighter that had to return to base to Malta and Malta was already fully stacked with air units. So I had to destroy the fighter.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Auchinleck

Post by Auchinleck »

Interesting. But it doesn't solve my problem, if the game malfunction in one area is causing a malfunction in another. I haven't been forced by the game in many turns to Return my British Fleet to Base during the return To Base Phase. So I've left it at sea to dominate the Italian Coast sea area. If I remember correctly since you mentioned it, from past games, the game should be restricting me from being able to advance to the next phase without returning those ships to Port. But I'm only going by what the game is allowing me to do. I'm not an expert on the logic or lack thereof of what is a game programming design. But how a malfunction of the British Return to Base Phase, should have anything to do with the Green light not showing up during the Russian Reform Corps/Armies phase of the game, makes no sense at all. At least from a players perspective.
Auchinleck

Post by Auchinleck »

Funny, I thought that's exactly what I thought I sent you, the saved game from the Production Phase, where in the production Phase it didn't matter you said. So here is the Russian Production Phase right before the problem phase.
Attachments
ReformCor..esPhase.zip
(1.57 MiB) Downloaded 5 times
Auchinleck

Post by Auchinleck »

Here is the problem phase with no highlighted green button you requested..
Attachments
ReformCor..esPhase.zip
(1.57 MiB) Downloaded 9 times
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

I loaded both files from the last two posts and as soon as they open, it is the Russian Reform phase and the green light is on, and the game can be progressed. I'm using the beta version 2.1.4.6 but I don't think there's been any changes between that and the public beta that affect this part of the program.

Have you tried loading that last file you posted after completely closing the MWiF application and starting it over from scratch. (I'm in the habit of always doing that as there were occasional problems in the past where memory the game uses did not completely clear when you reloaded a saved game from within the application as opposed to from the splash screen.)
Paul
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Interesting. But it doesn't solve my problem, if the game malfunction in one area is causing a malfunction in another. I haven't been forced by the game in many turns to Return my British Fleet to Base during the return To Base Phase. So I've left it at sea to dominate the Italian Coast sea area. If I remember correctly since you mentioned it, from past games, the game should be restricting me from being able to advance to the next phase without returning those ships to Port. But I'm only going by what the game is allowing me to do. I'm not an expert on the logic or lack thereof of what is a game programming design. But how a malfunction of the British Return to Base Phase, should have anything to do with the Green light not showing up during the Russian Reform Corps/Armies phase of the game, makes no sense at all. At least from a players perspective.

In the save you posted earlier I had to go through the Stay-at-sea phase and if the ships were not touched I had to return them. I think the bug you mention only applied to ships in the zero box that were also on sentry and were not CPs. In any event that bug and this Reform bug are extremely unlikely to be related.
Paul

Return to “World in Flames”