Ipad version?

Tigers on the Hunt is a World War 2 hard-core tactical wargame for PC.

It creates a truly and immersive depth tactical simulation. Tigers on the Hunt boasts a ferocious and adaptive AI which will dynamically respond to a player’s maneuvers.

Moderators: Peter Fisla, Paullus

Tête de Porc

Ipad version?

Post by Tête de Porc »

I know it gets asked about every game and usually the answer is negative, but.....pretty, pretty please? Is it being considered at least?
mainsworthy

RE: Ipad version?

Post by mainsworthy »

Peter has been programing this for 10 years , I dought his development environment has modern cross platform options, you would do better getting a windows tablet like the surface , and asking nicely for Peter to add a couple of buttons so some keys & right-click could have toggled state. Ive done it to my games took 15mins, just add a button to switch on-off a variable , then have say control key function copeied as another function but with the toggle variable as a test rather than control key. this would open-up tablet market for the game
https://hiphopy.itch.io/

check when you can, I put diff stuff on now and then
Peter Fisla

Post by Peter Fisla »

ORIGINAL: Tête de Porc

I know it gets asked about every game and usually the answer is negative, but.....pretty, pretty please? Is it being considered at least?

iOS version is not at all in the scope or on my radar. The game requires desktop interface (mouse and keyboard), in addition the AI processing, pathfinding and LOS processing logic would be too much iPad to handle.
MikeMarchant_ssl

Post by MikeMarchant_ssl »

This is something to be considered for the future perhaps, but I completely understand Peter's position on this. To recode the game for iOS would be a mammoth task (especially with the graphics considerations), unless someone else took that over for him, and I am sure he has his hands (and mind) completely full with debugging and adding new features to the existing version. I expect it's barely conceivable at the moment, let alone practical.

I say 'something to be considered for the future' though, because of three, what I consider to be, important points.

1. I would love to see it on iOS, as would lots of other people.

2. The market for iOS games is huge and a game of this quality could achieve sales that would be astronomical by PC games standards.The more money the game makes (especially if it's a lot) the greater the chances Peter could recruit other developers to help; the more interested Matrix would be in helping, and consequently the better the game will survive and improve for all of us, regardless of platform.

3. iPads like the Air 2 and the iPad Pro are already more powerful than a lot of the PCs people will be running this game on now. They certainly could cope with the processing. But the point is, there probably won't be any PCs or PC games in 10 years time. There will only be tablets. Offices might (and it's only a might) still be full of PCs, but homes will be full of tablets. I know 10 years seems like a long way in the future, but the trend is already in place and the decline might occur earlier. Games consoles will probably also start to disappear at the same time, until all we are left with is tablets. Tablets that will make today's tablets, PCs and games consoles look like something Victorian.

Best Wishes

Mike
mainsworthy

Post by mainsworthy »

ORIGINAL: MikeMarchant_ssl

This is something to be considered for the future perhaps, but I completely understand Peter's position on this. To recode the game for iOS would be a mammoth task (especially with the graphics considerations), unless someone else took that over for him, and I am sure he has his hands (and mind) completely full with debugging and adding new features to the existing version. I expect it's barely conceivable at the moment, let alone practical.

I say 'something to be considered for the future' though, because of three, what I consider to be, important points.

1. I would love to see it on iOS, as would lots of other people.

2. The market for iOS games is huge and a game of this quality could achieve sales that would be astronomical by PC games standards.The more money the game makes (especially if it's a lot) the greater the chances Peter could recruit other developers to help; the more interested Matrix would be in helping, and consequently the better the game will survive and improve for all of us, regardless of platform.

3. iPads like the Air 2 and the iPad Pro are already more powerful than a lot of the PCs people will be running this game on now. They certainly could cope with the processing. But the point is, there probably won't be any PCs or PC games in 10 years time. There will only be tablets. Offices might (and it's only a might) still be full of PCs, but homes will be full of tablets. I know 10 years seems like a long way in the future, but the trend is already in place and the decline might occur earlier. Games consoles will probably also start to disappear at the same time, until all we are left with is tablets. Tablets that will make today's tablets, PCs and games consoles look like something Victorian.

Best Wishes

Mike

Mike If Peter wanted he could release a very simply modified PC version for the Microsoft surface, that is easily powerfull enough. and He then would have a tablet version in 15mins from now if he wanted, read my previouse post. I HAVE TO MENTION THERE IS A CHEAP VERSION OF THE SURFACE RUNNING WINDOWS RT - THE RT VERSION ISNT A FULL WINDOWS SYSTEM

mainsworthy

Post by mainsworthy »

in-fact most of matrix windows games could be easily modified 15mins, and have them running on a surface pro 3 or 4 tablet without keyboard - I can demo my free wargame if anybody wated to see this method in action?, but the cheap surface RT version isn't a full windows tablet, so be carefull

MikeMarchant_ssl

Yes, you're right, mainsworthy, but the market there is very, very small. I don't think it would have much of an impact on sales. In years to come, though...

Best Wishes

Mike
mainsworthy

Post by mainsworthy »

Yes, you're right, mainsworthy, but the market there is very, very small. I don't think it would have much of an impact on sales. In years to come, though...

Best Wishes

Mike

Microsoft has just launched the surface book that seperates from the keyboard and turns into a standard surface pro. so I think it will be here for a few years, plus windows will I think be around for a while yet, don't get me wrong I like ipads. My point I guess is its already programmed for windows , its Here already!

MikeMarchant_ssl

I like both, I could no more without my iPad than I could without my PC, or without my liver.

I am hoping to get a Surface Pro 4 soon and I do like the look of the Surface Book. But while the Book is more powerful and has a dedicated graphics card, it's a lot heavier and most of the battery is in the keyboard, so it doesn't live long when detached as a tablet.

I have no doubt they'll both be a success, my point was just that they won't sell enough of them (as a percentage of the overall PC market) to make it worth Peter's while giving them any special attention. If, though, as you say, it's a fifteen minute job, then it might be worthwhile catering for.

Best Wishes

Mike
mainsworthy

Post by mainsworthy »

I like both, I could no more without my iPad than I could without my PC, or without my liver.

I am hoping to get a Surface Pro 4 soon and I do like the look of the Surface Book. But while the Book is more powerful and has a dedicated graphics card, it's a lot heavier and most of the battery is in the keyboard, so it doesn't live long when detached as a tablet.

I have no doubt they'll both be a success, my point was just that they won't sell enough of them (as a percentage of the overall PC market) to make it worth Peter's while giving them any special attention. If, though, as you say, it's a fifteen minute job, then it might be worthwhile catering for.

Best Wishes

Mike

I use the surface pro 3, very good tablet. I promise 15mins , I probably did it faster - its just a matter of a set of variables one for each key, a = 0 , b = 0 , c = 0. if you left-click a button on screen it sets a variable to 1 , a = 1. the you copy the function you already have in your program that tests if a condition is true "if control key and left-click" normal operation is unchanged, you copy the function but change the test, now the test is "if a = 1 and left-click"

whats happening is your copying a function and slightly changing it

mainsworthy

Post by mainsworthy »

Mike check your Private Messages, works on windows PC same as surface, you will see you can control everthiing with a single left click, it was not designed for a tablet, but a little fix and bam its running

Tête de Porc

Post by Tête de Porc »

No worries, just wanted to check before I splurge on the PC version. The Ipad is great for boardgames but I understand the constraints here.
GregN

Post by GregN »

I am running TOHT on a MBP and can use Splashtop (free if on the same network) to play on an iPad - both left and right clicking on the screen. The only problem is control-click which requires turning the iPad to portrait to pull up the keyboard - so the objects on the screen get small. however, you can 'pinch' to zoom in and out.
MikeMarchant_ssl

Yes, I used to do that with Field of Glory on my iPad from my MacBook Pro.

Best Wishes

Mike
chucknra

Re: Ipad version?

Post by chucknra »

You can also use Remote Desktop to share your PC with your iPad; you have to keep your laptop turned on the whole time though.

Return to “Tigers on the Hunt”