BAR and M1, under powered?

Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog is the first new release (not a re-make of a previous games) in years in the critically acclaimed Close Combat series. It details the desperate German counter-attack at Mortain, the last chance of the Wehrmacht to stave off defeat in Normandy. Can you match the tenacity of the American defenders of Hill 314? Or can you succeed where the Panzers failed, driving through to the sea and changing history? Improved 32-bit graphics and the ability to control more squads than ever bring the Close Combat engine to a new level.
pgrob

BAR and M1, under powered?

Post by pgrob »

I'm new to the forum. I was looking around the weapons files and it seems like, as modeled, there is no difference in the rate of fire between the M1 and the 98K (despite the former being semi-automatic). In addition, during game play, BAR teams seem to always have 2 guys "assisting" the BAR gunner, which seems to prevent them from firing their own weapons. If the BAR were a belt fed LMG, I could understand, but it isn't, and by assisting the gun, the team's fire power is reduced.

Am I just reading the numbers wrong? It just seems like US rifle teams with M1s should be able to produce a larger volume of fire that they seem to in game. (I have seen posts on the power of the MG-42 in squads...I would have no problem with it if the US teams had a better rate of fire).
SteveMcClaire

RE: BAR and M1, under powered?

Post by SteveMcClaire »

Hi pgrob,

A rifleman with a Garand does fire more quickly than one with a 98k, because the bolt action Mauser has to reload after every shot. Hit F6 to bring up the soldier monitor while commanding each type of rifle team to area fire and you'll see this in the actions the soldiers take. The US rifleman with a Garand will go 'Aiming - Firing - Aiming - Firing...' while the German with the K98 will go 'Aiming - Firing - Reloading - Aiming - Firing - Reloading...'

Soldiers assigned as loader / assistants and ammo bearers for the squad machine guns do spend the majority of their time assisting the gunner and making sure he has ammo. That was their primary job, rather than firing with their personal weapons. While this is arguably less demanding for a clip-fed BAR than for a belt-fed MG42, the BAR also needs to be reloaded more frequently.

Steve

Return to “Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog”