Where we are & where we are going

Tigers on the Hunt is a World War 2 hard-core tactical wargame for PC.

It creates a truly and immersive depth tactical simulation. Tigers on the Hunt boasts a ferocious and adaptive AI which will dynamically respond to a player’s maneuvers.

Moderators: Peter Fisla, Paullus

Peter Fisla

Where we are & where we are going

Post by Peter Fisla »

Hi All,

First of all I want to say thank you to all the people who bought the game and enjoy playing the game. I'm not looking for to sell the game to the whole world, I'm not in it for the money; my focus is to share the game I love with people that care about it and have interest in it. I'm aware that I will still need my day job :)

When I set out to work on Tigers on the Hunt 10 years ago, I had no idea that one day it will actually get it published. This game is my hobby, my passion and labour of love. I worked on a game that I wanted to play a game that is inspired by ASL, Steel Panthers, Campaign Series and Close Combat 1. I worked on the game since January 2006 when I was either between contracts or after my day job when I got home. I'm really happy that after so many years of very hard work the game finally saw the light of the day Thursday February 25th 2016.

I'm aware that the game is a niche within the wargaming community and not everyone is going to like it. I can understand that and respect that. I can't make a game that every is going to like, I'm sorry, not good enough developer for that. I'm not trying to compete with other game companies, I'm just working on a game that I want to play and share it with the rest of the world.

My design focus is to deliver core game functionality first, as bug free as possible. Quality is very important to me...because again this is my labour of love project. I have no plans or desire to work any other game in my life, my focus is to support the game and enhance the game for many years to come.

The game has only been out for 5 days, my goal for the near future will be to first focus on squashing all the bugs. Make the game as bug free as possible, during this time based on your feedback we can identify together areas where AI could improve. After that my focus will be on expansion and new features. Of course during the bug fixing period, I may add small features along the way. First quality then new features - very carefully...there is no rush. I rather deliver a bug free product with smaller scope/less features that works well rather than lots of features that don't work 50% of time - this is the way I am and I operate.

Regarding bug fixing, The saved game is the quickest and best way to provide me with the data evidence what went wrong so that I know what I need to fix the problem. I can load the saved game data into my development environment and check the code, modify the code to fix an issue (or provide clear step by step instructions how to duplicate a problem).

Thank You all for your help, feedback and support! Enjoy the game! :)

Cheers!

Peter
z1812

RE: Where we are & where we are going

Post by z1812 »

That sounds like a very thoughtful approach.
idjester

Post by idjester »

Sounds like a very stable and good plan. I appricate that you came out with a gameplay. I won't name the game but I was working with another company for awhile on their game and they refused to come up with a plan or an outline for their game development.

I am very pleased... the forces in the universe unite!!
michaelspotts

Post by michaelspotts »

Great game, Peter. I bought the box edition with no need only to support your efforts with a bit more $$.
Thank you for your herculean effort. A gem of a game from a gem of a developer and person!

Michael
kirtapbun

Post by kirtapbun »

+1
gregb41352

Post by gregb41352 »

I very much look forward to the continued development of this great game.
Congratulations Peter, I haven't been this addicted to a game in a very
long time.
jascou

Post by jascou »

I think you are taking a very wise approach Peter, and I for one am very happy with my purchase.
jeffdeham1

Post by jeffdeham1 »

Thanks Peter for creating this game! I believe you have created quite a following here. Not even a week old and already 1 patch, new mods and additional scenarios have been created. The forums are lively and on top of it all we get to play the game too! All of this a result of your hard work. [&o]

When will you start selling Toth t shirts? [:)]

Jeff
mainsworthy

Post by mainsworthy »

I feel very sorry for Peter right now, as a programmer myself, I know bug hunting is worse than programing the game, it can even take longer, I test every aspect of my games to avoid bug hunting. sometimes one bug fix can even break other parts of the program, I know your pain Peter :(
https://hiphopy.itch.io/

check when you can, I put diff stuff on now and then
Jafele

Post by Jafele »

Hey Peter, that´s the mentality a good game require to survive for a long time.
Las batallas contra las mujeres son las únicas que se ganan huyendo.

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE

Cuando el necio oye la verdad se carcajea, porque si no lo hiciera la verdad no sería la verdad.

LAO TSE
Hotschi

Post by Hotschi »

Peter, you have produced a fine game, and I hope you stick to developing it for a long time! Best purchase I've done since quite a while!
"A big butcher's bill is not necessarily evidence of good tactics"

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.
Perelandra67

Post by Perelandra67 »

Peter, I have voiced my opinion about what I think the game is lacking, but I want to say that you have developed a very good game. I hope it continues.
"Amateurs study tactics; professionals study logistics."
LN59

Post by LN59 »

Thank You, Peter, for the release of your fascinating game and that spirit You're working in. Giving the community opportunity to pass feedback and suggestions is a great and pleasant idea. So, Congratulations for the whole project, the investment that means and the great fun we, players, already have to play/create with! Best regards. Lilian

Post by katsuragiai »

Thanks for making this great game.

I'm not actually an ASL player - not even heard of it before. I'm just a casual war gamer who plays War in the East on easy difficulty. But I'm immediately attracted to the game after seeing its genre, and bought it with no hesitation. And then...I just played it for 10 hours non-stop. Took a nap, log in the forum and found the amazing modes and new scenarios - got hyped again and another non-stop playing...

I wish the game will keep getting expanded and upgraded in the following years. And thank you again for opening a new world for me!
gogol

Post by gogol »

Doing what you love for people who will love it.
you re dam right !!! i am so pleased to have bought your baby
RobPollard

Post by RobPollard »

Congratulations on sticking with the project until the end. I have been waiting for an ASL based game for so long! And now it's finally here.

I have also been embarking on my own home wargame project for more time than I care to admit too :) And can fully understand the amount of dedication you must have put into your project. As you have pointed out, many of these wargames are so niche, that they are developed in our own time, at the same time as doing a day job and just living life in general!

Although it is a labour of love, I do hope it sells well for you - your game was the first computer wargame I have bought in a long while....

echo9c

Post by echo9c »

Thanks for giving us the opportunity to play a game like this. The more I play it the better I like it. It feels so much like Squad Leader when I bought the first one in 1977. I'm impressed with you vision on the way forward for the game. It is certainly a common sense approach and I'm sure it will all work out.
1138savatee

Post by 1138savatee »

You can count on my support for the future. Thanks for your work. Great game.
Monkie

Post by Monkie »

I'm very glad to hear that you will continue to support and improve on the game. Thank you for communicating so clearly the direction you are taking ToTH.

mainsworthy

Post by mainsworthy »

the game is so good Peter, I prefer playing it over the boardgame ASL, the sad thing is ASL boardgame may dissapper, and our children will never find it available. I do believe the premium price for TotH is worth it, as you say your not doing it for the money - but I thought it was worth it.

you should also look at the advanced tabruk system, its very similar without being the same. and there is a free game system like ASL called valour & victory, these systems are very much ASL inspired.

I would not love wargaming without learning ASL, and to see it superseded by a computer version is so impacting on all my gaming, maybe you could do a deal and release an ASLSK digital version with the game. there is also whats called ASLComp games(If I'm not mistaken there made by 'critical Hit'), these are ASL compatable games, maybe you could include a digital version ? it seems this would stop all the complaints about the availability of unit info.

you could just state your game is ASL Compatable too, so when you buy it , you know what to expect, My main complaint was lack of unit combat values(I felt ripped-off), when I found it corresponded with ASL, I was over the moon, but I had a hard time figuring this out, If I knew it was ASLComp beforehand I would of been happy with it.

you said "I wanted to play a game that is inspired by ASL, Steel Panthers, Campaign Series and Close Combat 1" I see all the ASL similarities but what parts of the program are formed after "Steel Panthers, Campaign Series and Close Combat 1" I'd be interested in comparing them?

I don't see what you gained from holding back the fact is was ASLComp, I'm not having a go with any of my comments,as ASLComp games are legal I think.
https://hiphopy.itch.io/

check when you can, I put diff stuff on now and then

Return to “Tigers on the Hunt”