Single Map Scenarios

Moderators: Peter Fisla, Paullus

snowbird

Single Map Scenarios

Post by snowbird »

I have been using the editor on single map scenarios to place the map in the middle of the screen (nice on a 27 inch monitor - not so far to the left). This is accomplished by creating a map size of 1X2 sectors and having map 1,1 as unplayable and 1,2 as the playable map -- essentially centers the map on the screen.

Just curious -- If I create a scenario containing a single map in the future and upload to this forum, better to keep the map shifted to the left or center the map?

I have already converted a few of the single map scenarios contained within the game to center the map. It was good practice with the scenario editor. [:)]
Paullus

RE: Single Map Scenarios

Post by Paullus »

Please do upload them. It's always good to have choices. This community do have people with different taste and choices.
For my part, I shall do my duty as a general; I shall see to it that you are given the chance of a successful action. /Lucius Aemilius Paullus
mainsworthy

Post by mainsworthy »

also ASL played Maps left small edge, top long edge , the way is now its left long edge top small edge. but as you say you can make parts not playable and create the right map
https://hiphopy.itch.io/

check when you can, I put diff stuff on now and then
snowbird

Post by snowbird »

I have attached a zip file that contains all the single map scenarios converted to a centered map. The zip file only contains the *.scn files. Please backup your original scenario files before replacing! I also included the new Guards Counterattack scenario located within this Mods forum. I tried to be as careful as possible in the conversions. My next project is The Hedgehog of Piepsk ASL Scenario D.
Attachments
SingleMap..cenarios.zip
(196.77 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
kylania

Post by kylania »

In higher resolutions this actually makes things worse. :) Now you have to drag your mouse half way across the screen twice to do everything instead of moving it down to the unit list below the play area. There's still just as much playable map scrolling since all this really has done is moved the unit list farther way from everything else.

The real solution to this single map problem is hotkeys. Instead of F1 causing a 'Failed to launch help' error MessageBox make it advance the turn sequence. Instead of making AI Continue be a button on the far right you must click make Spacebar activate it so you can keep focused on the action. Let W be Start, S be Stop, Q and E be Turret Covered Arc, A and D be Hull Covered Arc, F be Bog/Mired or whatever options for vehicles. For infantry maybe use A = Assault, D = Double Time, W = move or whatever. That way it's fine if the map is far left since everything you need can control everything currently on the right button panel without having to look or move your mouse over to it and it keeps you in the action.
snowbird

Post by snowbird »

I totally agree. Hotkeys would be awesome (configurable hotkeys even better). I would love to have the space bar for the AI Continue or proceed to the next phase.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”