VASL Mod

Moderators: Peter Fisla, Paullus

kylania

RE: VASL Mod

Post by kylania »

Yup Dietrich, that's exactly it. I just opened the terrain.png in Gimp. Dragged down some guide lines (drag from the outside ruler onto the image and a little blue line will appear) to select each counter area. That then allowed the Select Tool to snap to that grid for easy selecting. So just change the image in those specific pixels to be whatever you wanted. Then Overwrite the file or Save as an XCF so you have an original with layers to adjust later and Export out as a PNG file. I just used whatever the default export settings in Gimp were. :)

Works the same in Photoshop but i think you can just save as png instead of having to export into png.

Attached you'll see what the screen looks like in Gimp.
Attachments
Capture.jpg
Capture.jpg (195.26 KiB) Viewed 612 times
Dietrich53

Post by Dietrich53 »

Thank you very much! Works like a charm!
B&D Publishing LLC - Books from Collectors for Collectors!
Bradley62

Post by Bradley62 »

Thanks for doing these mods, adds quite a bit to the game. Made it an automatic purchase.
giffin

Post by giffin »

ORIGINAL: kylania

One thing that I've changed with this mod and the ASL one is making the Fire Counters much smaller. That way don't entirely obstruct the unit counters so you can still see what unit had fired. I did leave the 1 pixel edge on the bottom and right sides so that you can tell at a glance if units in a stack fired. Changed this for all the 'full size' circle things like Fire, Final Fire, Close Combats and Tired. Still debating if I like the banners of the ASL mod or the letters of this one though for things like Pinned and Broken.

Basically just cut the counter out (sans the 1 pixel edges bottom and right), pasted it right back where it was and shrunk it down to 30x30 and nudged it into the top left corner. Attached you can see how it looks.

This is a awesome MOD Making "FIRE" counters smaller , can I just drop it in the file folder and it works?
Thomasew

Post by Thomasew »

Hi JMass,

Love your Counters and Markers [:)] , .. not too keen on the Map tho .. [:(]

I prefer the more 'textured' look of the original map .. [:)]

Your Counters/Markers would look great on the original map .. [;)] [;)] [;)]

Keep up the good work .. [:)]

Cheers
Tom
He Who Will Not Risk Cannot Win
Angiel

Post by Angiel »

Thanks JMass, great mods.
JMass

Post by JMass »

I uploaded a version with small markers, the link is in the first post.

Attachments
Senzanome.jpg
Senzanome.jpg (49.42 KiB) Viewed 539 times
"Klotzen, nicht Kleckern!"Generaloberst Heinz Wilhelm Guderian

My boardgames collection: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection ... dgame&ff=1
Angiel

Post by Angiel »

I like best this latest version.[:)]
keas66

Post by keas66 »

Great mod .Thank you very much . How easy would it be to add in more phase/effect counters like Pin , Residual Fire , PrepFire etc ?
Meroka37

Post by Meroka37 »

I prefer latest version, with former it was difficult to tell a unit under the marker
'Better honor without ships, than ships without honor"
Gerry4321

Post by Gerry4321 »

Thanks so much JMass. And to the other modders - fantastic stuff.
Monkie

Post by Monkie »

Love this mod, feels like I'm working with cardboard again. I'm actually torn between all the mods so far, they are all great.

The only thing I'm tweaking are the info markers, trying to get them smaller and more out of the way yet allowing them to be useful.

Thanks for sharing.
giffin

Post by giffin »

ORIGINAL: JMass

I uploaded a version with small markers, the link is in the first post.

Great MOD JMAS. Could you just provide the markers/ Counters so I could use the current game terrain?

thanks!
JMass

Post by JMass »

ORIGINAL: Punisher007
Could you just provide the markers/ Counters so I could use the current game terrain?

No because all the graphics are on a single .png file, however I did another mod with original terrain, VASL counters and small markers.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/161 ... d_v1.1.zip
"Klotzen, nicht Kleckern!"Generaloberst Heinz Wilhelm Guderian

My boardgames collection: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection ... dgame&ff=1
Cafe

Post by Cafe »

Oh geez, I nearly teared up when I saw the screenie for this!

A dream of finally having an ASL analogue on my PC was finally coming true.

Ka-ching! The Matrix store made another sale. Kudos to the solo dev, testers and the "retro" modders as well. I can see it now...scenarios, maps, oob's and artwork...YES!!!
Be nice.
giffin

Post by giffin »

ORIGINAL: Punisher007
Could you just provide the markers/ Counters so I could use the current game terrain?

No because all the graphics are on a single .png file, however I did another mod with original terrain, VASL counters and small markers.

Thank you!!! This is the Perfect MOD VASL Original Counters & Small markers with Original Terrain!!
mainsworthy

Post by mainsworthy »

this Mod makes the game worth buying thx, I actually feel like I'm playing ASL on a PC .
https://hiphopy.itch.io/

check when you can, I put diff stuff on now and then
kylania

Post by kylania »

Attached is a version of this (Originals with Smaller Markers), with Richie's Broken/Pinned tags, the 'edges' of the Markers so you can see fired status in stacks and fixed American MMG/HMG counters.

(Splitting these counters into separate image files would really help customization. :) Might be worth refactoring, even if it's just the terrain, marker and unit counters to prevent screwing with LOS assisting alpha masks.)
Attachments
VASLIcons..dAmMMG.zip
(4.06 MiB) Downloaded 166 times
giffin

Post by giffin »

ORIGINAL: kylania

Attached is a version of this (Originals with Smaller Markers), with Richie's Broken/Pinned tags, the 'edges' of the Markers so you can see fired status in stacks and fixed American MMG/HMG counters.

(Splitting these counters into separate image files would really help customization. :) Might be worth refactoring, even if it's just the terrain, marker and unit counters to prevent screwing with LOS assisting alpha masks.)

This sounds great you have a screen shot of how it looks?
thanks!!
kylania

Post by kylania »

Sure, here ya go (attached). Can't post links yet. heh
Attachments
Capture.jpg
Capture.jpg (184.8 KiB) Viewed 695 times

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”