Some rules questions

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

RKhan

Some rules questions

Post by RKhan »

I have been learning the game since Christmas and I'm already stuck into a campaign game. It has been a steep learning curve as the experienced players know.

I have a few questions I have not been able to find the answers to on my own. Apologies in advance if the answers are already published or in the rule book.

Support units: What is the calculation for allocating a given support unit to combat? I have very mixed results with this. There is apparently a break point where you can have too many SUs in an HQ.

Combining Soviet infantry brigades: 7.5.3 says I can combine these to form infantry divisions, but I can never seem to get it to work. I am combining other units with success.

Air Bases: Despite the name, is there really any difference between them except for VVS which I know has special rules?

+1/+1 Soviet advantages: Where does this actually kick in?

Thank you in advance for any answers.
RKhan
charlie0311

RE: Some rules questions

Post by charlie0311 »

Hi,

See sov unit creation list, in war room, the stickies in the top section, rd from rb not allowed until may 42.

Max 6 su's per hq, per combat, for sov usually about half this, low initiative. Use a mix of units from different hq to get lots of su's. Exception, when defending urban/light urban 18 su's.

Ab's all the same, except vvs and osnaz.

sov combat bonus should take effect t1, ending in March 42
RKhan

Post by RKhan »

ORIGINAL: charlie0311

Hi,

See sov unit creation list, in war room, the stickies in the top section, rd from rb not allowed until may 42.

Max 6 su's per hq, per combat, for sov usually about half this, low initiative. Use a mix of units from different hq to get lots of su's. Exception, when defending urban/light urban 18 su's.

Ab's all the same, except vvs and osnaz.

sov combat bonus should take effect t1, ending in March 42

Thank you.

I understood the 6/18 su limit, but the manual says that the chance of allocation decreases with the number of SUs in the HQ. It would help to have the equation. Perhaps only the devs have it.
RKhan
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: RKhan

I have been learning the game since Christmas and I'm already stuck into a campaign game. It has been a steep learning curve as the experienced players know.

I have a few questions I have not been able to find the answers to on my own. Apologies in advance if the answers are already published or in the rule book.

Support units: What is the calculation for allocating a given support unit to combat? I have very mixed results with this. There is apparently a break point where you can have too many SUs in an HQ.

Combining Soviet infantry brigades: 7.5.3 says I can combine these to form infantry divisions, but I can never seem to get it to work. I am combining other units with success.

Air Bases: Despite the name, is there really any difference between them except for VVS which I know has special rules?

To add to the above, just a few other bits.

Watch out for how you use the PVO bases. These are for air defense only so the planes there will fly 'interception' style missions but not in support of your own operations. This is ok if you know what to expect as it means that fighters on those bases will be fresh for the German turn which can be quite handy.

The allocation rule is influenced by admin and initiative scores as well as distance. If you have >6, then the % chance of selecting any one drops but the chance of getting the full number remains the same. So crudely if you have 12 SUs each only has a 50% chance of being selected and then there is a second test to see if you commit 6 or 3 or ... .

However, its often handy to have more than 6. It spreads losses (you'll see in the loss report that SUs can get destroyed) and keeps them fresh. So for a formation that is in regular combat, it makes it more likely that it will carry on drawing on fresh, relatively well equipped SUs as opposed to a smaller pool of SUs that are already suffering attrition and combat losses.
RKhan

Post by RKhan »

ORIGINAL: loki100

ORIGINAL: RKhan

To add to the above, just a few other bits.

Watch out for how you use the PVO bases. These are for air defense only so the planes there will fly 'interception' style missions but not in support of your own operations. This is ok if you know what to expect as it means that fighters on those bases will be fresh for the German turn which can be quite handy.

The allocation rule is influenced by admin and initiative scores as well as distance. If you have >6, then the % chance of selecting any one drops but the chance of getting the full number remains the same. So crudely if you have 12 SUs each only has a 50% chance of being selected and then there is a second test to see if you commit 6 or 3 or ... .

However, its often handy to have more than 6. It spreads losses (you'll see in the loss report that SUs can get destroyed) and keeps them fresh. So for a formation that is in regular combat, it makes it more likely that it will carry on drawing on fresh, relatively well equipped SUs as opposed to a smaller pool of SUs that are already suffering attrition and combat losses.
es as we

Thank you loki.

The whole process of SU allocation seems a bit tricky. For example, is the AI smart enough to send appropriate SUs, e.g. will AT brigades end up being sent to infantry battles instead of artillery? Is there a preference of ski troops in winter? If the AI does not take any of this into account then I would need to use a generic SU strategy and all the "flavour" SU would never get purchased.
RKhan

Return to “The War Room”