Feature Request

Tigers on the Hunt is a World War 2 hard-core tactical wargame for PC.

It creates a truly and immersive depth tactical simulation. Tigers on the Hunt boasts a ferocious and adaptive AI which will dynamically respond to a player’s maneuvers.

Moderators: Peter Fisla, Paullus

Krasny

Feature Request

Post by Krasny »

Can we have it so clicking on a hex selects all the units in that hex?

Thanks.
iPhoneAppz

RE: Feature Request

Post by iPhoneAppz »

First off, let me say that I'm already REALLY enjoying this game. You have a very good game here. I know that it's a good game because I woke up this morning and I couldn't wait to write this post of feature requests because I think that if you implement these things, you'll have an all-time classic game.

I'll echo the original poster...please let us select all units in a hex by default. Actually, it would be helpful to add a preference pane and make 'Select all units in a hex' a preference that the user could control.

Here are some other initial thoughts...I'll make more detailed notes the next time that I play (tonight!!! YAY!!!):
- When I select a unit/units in the movement phase, highlight all of the hexes that I can move to. Let me click once to move the stack to the destination hex. If I get interdicted, stop the movement, but still, don't make me click on 1 hex at a time with no idea how far I can actually move. Maybe even show a unit's movement points when I select the unit/stack. Also, show the movement cost of terrain when I mouse over it.
- Line of sight toggle: When I select a unit, highlight all of the hexes that I can see.
- Line of sight tool: Don't make me pick hexes from a dropdown list. Let me click on a hex and then click on a second hex to calculate the line of sight between the two. Better yet, let me click on one hex and then stretch a line that is green when I mouse over hexes that I can see from the first hex and red when I mouse over hexes that I cannot see. That may be computationally expensive. However, you could pretty easily calculate and store line of sight between all hexes when a map-maker saves the map. Then, it would be trivial to quickly look up line of sight between any two hexes.
- More details! I'd like to see more details of a unit when I select it. How many movement points does it have? What's its firing range? What is a leader's rally chance, etc. I'm a grognard, I like numbers...lots of numbers.
- Let me scroll the map with middle mouse drag. Don't make me go to the edges of the screen to scroll the map.
- Hotkeys! Don't make me click toolbar icons or have to go to the dropdown menus. Let me do everything with (preferably user customizable) hot keys.
- Manual...it needs editing. It just has a lot of typos in it.

Thanks for the awesome work that you've done on the game so far. I'm a software engineer with 25+ years experience so I know how hard it is to get a project done and delivered. Congratulations on the release and I'm looking forward to playing this game for a long time to come!

As an aside, as I mentioned, I'm an engineer. If you need help working on the game, feel free to reach out. Also, I've published 3 books, so I could take a critical pass at the manual for you if you'd like.
Krasny

Post by Krasny »

Also when we move over a hex, please can we see the units in the hex without having to right-click.

There is a ton of space under the hex display on the right of the screen.
FroBodine

Post by FroBodine »

Double-click on a hex to select all units in the hex. This seems to be the standard in many games. This would be a good feature.
\
kylania

Post by kylania »

ORIGINAL: Krasny

Also when we move over a hex, please can we see the units in the hex without having to right-click.

There is a ton of space under the hex display on the right of the screen.

There's also the problem with right click being both "Attack" and "View". I've accidentally fired at someone trying to see what units were in the hex instead. [:'(]
iPhoneAppz

Post by iPhoneAppz »

Another request...hyperlinks. Whenever you show a name in the combat dialog, let me click on it to navigate the map to that unit. Also, hexes should be linked. If a message says hex (14,19) I should be able to click on it and the map should center on hex (14,19).
idjester

Post by idjester »

I posted this in another forum but I will repost it here because this applies to this discussion as well.

Guys I can forsee a problem with selecting the whole hex of unit by default.....

If it defaults to selecting everything you will have messages popping up all the time.. (i.e. when you select something that can't do what you are trying to do) And this
happens all the time because of the nature of the mechanics of the game.

Let's say I have a hex with 3 units and a leader and its the movement phase. 2 of those units are broken and 1 unit has alredy fired, and the leader is pinned.

When you select that hex you will get a warning message that says, .....broken units can not move....
Then you will get a warning message that says, ....... units that have already fired can not move....
Then you will get a warning message that says, ...... pinned units can not move...

It would be just to much of a hassle to deal with all of those messages popping up all the time. Selecting units isn't that hard and becomes second nature very quickly for you. I was hoping to get Peter to add in a select all button for times when you can select everything but the programming isn't ready for that just yet. Maybe sometime when he gets a chance to do it..

Hope that helps.

idjester
iPhoneAppz

Post by iPhoneAppz »

ORIGINAL: idjester

I posted this in another forum but I will repost it here because this applies to this discussion as well.

Guys I can forsee a problem with selecting the whole hex of unit by default.....

If it defaults to selecting everything you will have messages popping up all the time.. (i.e. when you select something that can't do what you are trying to do) And this
happens all the time because of the nature of the mechanics of the game.

Let's say I have a hex with 3 units and a leader and its the movement phase. 2 of those units are broken and 1 unit has alredy fired, and the leader is pinned.

When you select that hex you will get a warning message that says, .....broken units can not move....
Then you will get a warning message that says, ....... units that have already fired can not move....
Then you will get a warning message that says, ...... pinned units can not move...

It would be just to much of a hassle to deal with all of those messages popping up all the time. Selecting units isn't that hard and becomes second nature very quickly for you. I was hoping to get Peter to add in a select all button for times when you can select everything but the programming isn't ready for that just yet. Maybe sometime when he gets a chance to do it..

Hope that helps.

idjester

What if the default was just to select all units that could do the action. So, clicking on the hex that you mentioned would do nothing. But, if the leader wasn't pinned, it would just select him.
Gerry4321

Post by Gerry4321 »

This is what I was thinking last night. Then if there was one unit you didn't want to fire you could deselect it. With the small scenario I have played so far I can see this alone would save a ton of clicks.

ORIGINAL: jglazier

Double-click on a hex to select all units in the hex. This seems to be the standard in many games. This would be a good feature.
\
Suul

Post by Suul »

Hello all,

I was thinking about this for my style of play. I personally prefer using only the mouse. If possible could the leader, squad and weapon frame have a click on/click off style for each element. For example click the leader, he is selected, click the squad it is selected, and if I change my mind before the right click for the attack I could click the leader again to deselect him, maybe to use him in a different attack? I would like to play on a laptop, tablet and a TV screen. Clicking units on and clicking units off independently means I would not be repeatedly reaching for the control key on the keyboard. To make a group for moving or firing requires clicking the correct units, but is it really necessary to have to also hold down the control key?
MikeMarchant_ssl

Post by MikeMarchant_ssl »

I prefer just mouse too. If I have a keyboard on my lap, where do I put the biscuit box?

Best Wishes

Mike
sage3

Post by sage3 »

The click-heavy interface I saw in the videos is definitely a bit of a turn-off. At very least, I think that in any case where there's only a single unit in a hex, it shouldn't be necessary to then click a 2nd time in the lower left interface pane in order to "confirm" selection of the unit.

This is one of the things blocking my purchase currently.
Gerry4321

Post by Gerry4321 »

Great game but it is very click heavy. Would be better to have a double-click to select all units and deselect a few if necessary. Minimally clicking on a hex with one unit show select it auto.
Krasny

Post by Krasny »

It is very click heavy. Having to click "go on" after every enemy action, even when there's nothing you can do, and having to reselect moving units after they are shot at, are major pains in the arse.
Gerry4321

Post by Gerry4321 »

Other thing I notice is when the enemy defensive fires on you the game also unselects your unit at this time so you have to select it again?
parusski

Post by parusski »

Thanks.

During beta testing I made the same request. Peter said double clicking to select all units was disallowed because all units might not be able to do the same thing.
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
Gerry4321

Post by Gerry4321 »

I understand but a player could choose when to double-click, e.g. say 5 units in a hex: double-click and then deselect one unit. Versus left-click hex, and then selecting the five units. It would be very nice but I want multi-level buildings way more.
kylania

Post by kylania »

ORIGINAL: Gerry

I understand but a player could choose when to double-click, e.g. say 5 units in a hex: double-click and then deselect one unit. Versus left-click hex, and then selecting the five units. It would be very nice but I want multi-level buildings way more.

Lets hope you don't accidentally left click on something while ctrl-clicking on things, because that'll select just that unit and unselect everything you'd done before. Or you get a 'can't do whatever' popup message which only visually unselects the unit so you keep getting the error popup till you time selecting and unselecting it just right.

Unit selection is a huge obstacle to this game. :(
Krasny

Post by Krasny »

ORIGINAL: parusski

Thanks.

During beta testing I made the same request. Peter said double clicking to select all units was disallowed because all units might not be able to do the same thing.

The UI is a huge mess, and Peter's reason to disallow stack selection is entirely specious. Also what's with having to click on a hex containing a single unit THEN having to move the mouse pointer to another part of the screen THEN clicking on bloody unit again to select it?

The UI renders this game borderline unplayable.
keas66

Post by keas66 »

I think you got the bit " in my opinion" right ? . Yes some enhancements would be nice but it is perfectly playable the way it is at the moment . Also there are plenty of play reasons why selecting the whole stack up front would be the right way to go . Since this is ASL like - I need to be careful about what units I am selecting in a stack to perform what action I want to carry out . Maybe I want to fire just that SW weapon . Maybe I want to individually assault move that half squad into the next hex as a sacrifice to draw fire . Maybe I want to add that leader and full squad into the firegroup using the LMG or maybe I don't want that . Individually selecting each counter in the stack lets me make those decisions in the simplest way .Your approach of selecting everything in the hex then means I need to start un-selecting counters if I don't want everyone pulled into whatever action I want to perform. Which way is better ? In "my opinion" I prefer the current method .

Return to “Tigers on the Hunt”