A bit OT. Anyone ever hear of the Battle of Los Angeles?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Lecivius

A bit OT. Anyone ever hear of the Battle of Los Angeles?

Post by Lecivius »

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/offbeat/s ... =BBpZmNS|3

Now the article is on UFO's, and I'm not going there. But other than a comedy movie, I never heard of a major fireworks show over L.A. in my life. Have I been living under a rock?
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Anachro

RE: A bit OT. Anyone ever hear of the Battle of Las Angeles?

Post by Anachro »

From LA, but I've never heard of this.
"Now excuse me while I go polish my balls ..." - BBfanboy
Big B

Post by Big B »

Yes, I'm from L.A. too, this "air raid" in early '42 is what the Spielberg movie 1941 was based on.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Big B

Yes, I'm from L.A. too, this "air raid" in early '42 is what the Spielberg movie 1941 was based on.
Close - the movie was "1942" (set in the early months when everyone imagined Japan could invade the West Coast).

Best line from a Japanese sailor "Horrywood!" as he looks up from the hatch and sees a beautiful blonde clinging to the periscope tube (he was not looking at her face ...)
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Miller

Post by Miller »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Close - the movie was "1942" (set in the early months when everyone imagined Japan could invade the West Coast).

Best line from a Japanese sailor "Horrywood!" as he looks up from the hatch and sees a beautiful blonde clinging to the periscope tube (he was not looking at her face ...)

It was definitely called 1941.
Torplexed

Post by Torplexed »

I always got a kick out of Christopher Lee's role in that movie as the Kriegsmarine liaison officer on the I-Boat.

wdolson

Post by wdolson »

The movie was "1941"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078723/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

My mother talked about that night. She was in high school at the time and living in Inglewood. That area was near Northrop, Douglas, and North American, so US officials were pretty worried about the KB showing up. She said there was a flak installation at the end of her street in an orange grove. Her neighborhood is now "the hood" in Inglewood, it's hard to imagine orange groves there. My mother being who she was was much more annoyed at the noise and losing sleep than any threat the guns were shooting at. She had a very strange personality.

I think the February 1942 thing in Los Angeles was just a jittery gunner started firing at something which could have been a bat, owl, or just his imagination and everyone else joined in. Military history is full of these kinds of situations.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

ORIGINAL: Torplexed

I always got a kick out of Christopher Lee's role in that movie as the Kriegsmarine liaison officer on the I-Boat.

How did they fit Christopher Lee into a cramped, Japanese submarine?
traskott

Post by traskott »

Can you see his legs? No? That's the answer!!!
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

I miss Denishe and his Wild Bill Kelso avatar!
Hans

Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Love that movie, my favorite part is when they (submariners) kidnapped that old fat guy on the side of the road and took his radio, so the Japs had to figure out a way to make thing smaller. Unfort they torn it up and got the radio alright. They were looking for Hollywood, asked the hostage where is Hollywood on the map, he almost pointed on the map and put his finger to his mouth and was thinking oh sneaking on me huh, just like you did at Pearl Harbor. Thinking they going to bomb John Wayne's House lol.

Good movie, a lot of crazy stuffs in there.
Anachro

Post by Anachro »

This all makes me want to see this movie...I hope it's on Prime.
"Now excuse me while I go polish my balls ..." - BBfanboy
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: RisingSun

Love that movie, my favorite part is when they (submariners) kidnapped that old fat guy on the side of the road and took his radio, so the Japs had to figure out a way to make thing smaller. Unfort they torn it up and got the radio alright. They were looking for Hollywood, asked the hostage where is Hollywood on the map, he almost pointed on the map and put his finger to his mouth and was thinking oh sneaking on me huh, just like you did at Pearl Harbor. Thinking they going to bomb John Wayne's House lol.

That was Slim Pickens:

Attachments
th5.jpg
th5.jpg (6.82 KiB) Viewed 178 times
Hans

Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

That was Slim Pickens:

Yup that is him lol. Also played in a lot of movies in the 80's, like The Howling, etcs.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Miller

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

It was definitely called 1941.

I stand corrected! Coulda sworn I saw a poster with 1942 in large print across it. Maybe it was inflation!
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

That was Slim Pickens:

Yup that is him lol. Also played in a lot of movies in the 80's, like The Howling, etcs.
Wasn't it Slim Pickens riding "The Bomb" at the end of "Dr. Strangelove"?
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

"I'm not afraid of you...I works for Mel Brooks"!
-Slim Pickens

Attachments
1941.jpg
1941.jpg (66.6 KiB) Viewed 178 times

jwolf

Post by jwolf »

Wasn't it Slim Pickens riding "The Bomb" at the end of "Dr. Strangelove"?

Yes it was, among many other memorable appearances by this actor.
bomccarthy

Post by bomccarthy »

It had an interesting "up periscope" scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-v93NKIFBBw&list=PLDEB9C0BF4CF7359B
crsutton

RE: A bit OT. Anyone ever hear of the Battle of Los Angeles?

Post by crsutton »

Slim Pickens was the real deal. Aside from being one of my favorite nuclear package deliverymen, he was a famous rodeo star and then clown for 20 years before getting into acting. He is in the Rodeo Hall of Fame.

Edit: Corrected the spelling of "Los Angeles" in this thread...
Attachments
Pickens_Slim215x300.jpg
Pickens_Slim215x300.jpg (165.87 KiB) Viewed 178 times
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”