Squad Leader Mod

Moderators: Peter Fisla, Paullus

Richie61

Squad Leader Mod

Post by Richie61 »

Please see the attached "Squad Leader" mod I put together for Tigers On The Hunt.

It's setup to use the "JoneSoft Generic Mod Enabler".

*** Please backup your "terrain" file if not using JSGME ***

Sample image.

Enjoy [:)]
Attachments
Squad Lead.. - Rev 1.zip
(3.08 MiB) Downloaded 91 times
To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.

Sun Tzu

Gerry4321

RE: Squad Leader Mod

Post by Gerry4321 »

In this mod I see 2 silhouettes for a squad. If the squad is reduced does it drop to one man on the counter?
z1812

Post by z1812 »

You must change your handle from Richie61 to Madman.

44 maps, terrain and counter mods......on the first day......oh yes you are a Madman.........did I say Thanks?

Thanks

Richie61

Post by Richie61 »

ORIGINAL: Gerry

In this mod I see 2 silhouettes for a squad. If the squad is reduced does it drop to one man on the counter?

Gerry,

Yes. I use (2) men for a full squad and (1) man for a half squad. [:)]
To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.

Sun Tzu

Richie61

Post by Richie61 »

ORIGINAL: z1812

You must change your handle from Richie61 to Madman.

44 maps, terrain and counter mods......on the first day......oh yes you are a Madman.........did I say Thanks?

Thanks

Thanks John! Coming from a friend means a lot [:)]

Sun Tzu

Gerry4321

Post by Gerry4321 »

Curious if there will be a way to distinguish created maps from the original maps. I assume it's all to do with the way you name them as there is only one map folder, right?

Many thanks also from me.
Paullus

Post by Paullus »

Yes the naming will differ the maps. The original maps are named TOTH001 - TOTH012.

For my part, I shall do my duty as a general; I shall see to it that you are given the chance of a successful action. /Lucius Aemilius Paullus
Gerry4321

Post by Gerry4321 »

I am so excited by all this I cannot settle today!
Monkie

Post by Monkie »

I combined this mod with JMass VASSAL terrain mod, boy does they take me back to the original SL days. Thanks for sharing.
Richie61

Post by Richie61 »

ORIGINAL: Monkie

I combined this mod with JMass VASSAL terrain mod, boy does they take me back to the original SL days. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks. That is why I spent a ton of time doing the Squad Leader mod. I still remember 1977 and riding my bike home
with the game under my arm [:D]

Sun Tzu

Gerry4321

Post by Gerry4321 »

How awesome was that moment!!
ORIGINAL: Richie61

Thanks. That is why I spent a ton of time doing the Squad Leader mod. I still remember 1977 and riding my bike home
with the game under my arm [:D]
Monkie

Post by Monkie »

I want to say I picked up my copy around 1982, had to order through my local hobby shop and actually wait 3 weeks for it to be arrive in the stores weekly deliveries. I also have a vague recollection of seeing SL on the game shelves at Toys R'Us, amazing how things were back then.
Ricomise

Post by Ricomise »

Wow. These stories are quite nostalgic. My first AH game was Victory In The Pacific, which I picked up in the discount bin of a K-Bee Hobby shop while my family was on vacation in Florida. I was probably 10. All I knew was that I loved military history, and the idea of fighting battles that had been pivotal in history was intoxicating.

That led to saving allowance money and trips to Men At Arms Hobbies in Middle Island, NY. I got Squad Leader maybe a year or two after my VITP experience.

I still have all four of the SL games on my shelf, as well as several ASL modules. We've all grown as gamers, and have different expectations of how things should be done.

I just want to say thanks to the developer, and the publisher, for bringing this game to us. Circa 1984 or so, if I thought people would be arguing over the "User Interface" for an automated (in '80s terms)of a game that I sat and played alone much of the time as no one my age (OK, even my dad) had the patience for, I would have cried tears of joy.

I'm actually not taking sides in this; I understand the criticisms and may, in a perfect world, share some of them. But, damn. An ASL-type game you can play against a machine? 13-year-old me says: "Where do I sign up?!"
Richie61

Post by Richie61 »

Tweaking colors and images [:)]

Sun Tzu

eric0303

Post by eric0303 »

This is a game changer for me and the reason I brought the game. Thank u so much for your time spent on this mod. At 65 years old I remember going to Origins 1 where I saw SL for the very first time. These counters fit the game much better for me. I sure hope these mods continue.
Regards to all.
Richie61

Post by Richie61 »

Thanks! Me too [:)] Bought Squad Leader in 1977 [:D]

Still tweaking counters.

Sun Tzu

eric0303

Post by eric0303 »

Yes 1977 but i was mistaken, Origins 3 is the one i went to in Staten Island NY. This new update is great.
Thanks
Richie61

Post by Richie61 »

Nice! Toy Soldier in Bath, Maine for me [:)]

I want to add the MP's for the vehicles and still messing around with the counter images.

Ed

Sun Tzu

Richie61

Post by Richie61 »

Made new smaller text boxes. Better I think.

Sun Tzu

eric0303

Post by eric0303 »

Yes i agree these smaller ones do look better.
Regards

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”