Images and screen resolution

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Cheeks

Images and screen resolution

Post by Cheeks »

When I play at the 1920 x 1080 resolution, my ship images are "split".... see below

My current switches are set at "C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -deepColor -altFont -w -pxf1920 -pyf1080

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks,

Cheeks

Attachments
screen.jpg
screen.jpg (62.74 KiB) Viewed 303 times
Turn the other cheek
Oberst_Klink

RE: Images and screen resolution

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: Cheeks

When I play at the 1920 x 1080 resolution, my ship images are "split".... see below

My current switches are set at "C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -deepColor -altFont -w -pxf1920 -pyf1080

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks,

Cheeks

What are your specs, Kamerad Buckeye? Try those, no need for an 'f' for the x/y screen resolution.

-fd -skipVideo -deepColor -dd_sw -px1440 -py900 -SingleCpuOrders

Feedback appreciated.

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

AFAIK that means your graphics processing is not keeping up or not being interpreted 100% correctly. That doesn't mean you have a bad graphics card, just that the (older) modes that the game uses are either not well supported by the card or there are some bugs somewhere in the graphics driver or DirectX itself.

I see this problem, but only in windowed mode (which you are using), not in full screen mode. To get around it, I use the

-fixedArt

switch, which makes the game ignore adding smoke and moving waves to those pictures.

Since you see that you might also see some of the screen jumping and splitting during the combat animations. To reduce that I use the

-noFire

switch, which makes it good in full screen mode and better (but not perfect) in windowed mode. What that does is eliminate the firing, hits, smoke, etc during the combat animations so you won't see gun flashes, shell splashes, etc.
Cheeks

Post by Cheeks »

OH-io [:)]

Your switches work with no problem, ship images are not split.

The split images only appear at a higher res (greater then 1440 x 900).

Running windows 7 and a brand new NIVIDIA with latest drivers installed.

Turn the other cheek
Cheeks

Post by Cheeks »

Running full screen.

the -fixedArt at 1920 x 1080 still has the split ships. It's looks like a base image is in the correct location - but a the anaimation is super imposed and located high

ORIGINAL: witpqs

AFAIK that means your graphics processing is not keeping up or not being interpreted 100% correctly. That doesn't mean you have a bad graphics card, just that the (older) modes that the game uses are either not well supported by the card or there are some bugs somewhere in the graphics driver or DirectX itself.

I see this problem, but only in windowed mode (which you are using), not in full screen mode. To get around it, I use the

-fixedArt

switch, which makes the game ignore adding smoke and moving waves to those pictures.

Since you see that you might also see some of the screen jumping and splitting during the combat animations. To reduce that I use the

-noFire

switch, which makes it good in full screen mode and better (but not perfect) in windowed mode. What that does is eliminate the firing, hits, smoke, etc during the combat animations so you won't see gun flashes, shell splashes, etc.
Turn the other cheek
Cheeks

Post by Cheeks »

Ok, solved.

Taking the -w out of the command line fixed the split ship image.

Damn... would of prefered to run it in window mode though. Oh well
Turn the other cheek
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Cheeks

Ok, solved.

Taking the -w out of the command line fixed the split ship image.

Damn... would of prefered to run it in window mode though. Oh well
It might pay to experiment with using the -noFire switch in windowed mode.
Cheeks

Post by Cheeks »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

It might pay to experiment with using the -noFire switch in windowed mode.

Confirming that the -noFire also will fix the split ship image in windowed mode.

Many thanks for every hint everyone.
Turn the other cheek
Mazarredo

Post by Mazarredo »

Hi, folks.

First of all, I beg your pardon for my English...

I want to change the screen resolution, but I don't know where I must introduce the command line switches. [&:]At "C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe", Properties, I have several tabs, which tab I must be and which field I have to introduce the command line switches?
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

The below is for the WIndows XP

You path is
"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe"
Right click on "War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" --- create a shortcut of this exe on your desktop

Right click on the shortcut.Select Properties. On the default tab that opens there is the uppermost field which should read "C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" Start typing in that field right after the last " character. First hit Speacebar once and then type the command switch.

My switches look this
"C:\Program Files\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition ORG\Beta2\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -skipVideo -altFont -archive

mikkey

Post by mikkey »

Mazarredo, in "WhatsNew.pdf" (located in the main WitP AE directory) is detailed described all about switches.
Mazarredo

Post by Mazarredo »

Very thanks, guys, I was working on the exe file instead the shortcut file.
dwesolick

Post by dwesolick »

I'm currently running with the following:
"D:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -wd -deepColor -altFont -cpu2 -multiaudio -dd_sw -f -px1920 -py1080
It works fairly well but I also get the split ships, etc. I'd really prefer to run in full screen mode but anytime I make a change to -wd (to -fd or -f, or just leave it out) I get the game fading in and out. Any suggestions? I have an Asus laptop and Intel processor.
Thanks!
"The Navy has a moth-eaten tradition that the captain who loses his ship is disgraced. What do they have all those ships for, if not to hurl them at the enemy?" --Douglas MacArthur
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: dwesolick

I'm currently running with the following:
"D:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -wd -deepColor -altFont -cpu2 -multiaudio -dd_sw -f -px1920 -py1080
It works fairly well but I also get the split ships, etc. I'd really prefer to run in full screen mode but anytime I make a change to -wd (to -fd or -f, or just leave it out) I get the game fading in and out. Any suggestions? I have an Asus laptop and Intel processor.
Thanks!
See the start of this thread and witpqs' suggestion for how to fix the split.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
dwesolick

Post by dwesolick »

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I'm not worried about the minor image issues, I'd like to play in full screen but anytime I make any changes to -wd (to -f or -fd, or just deleting -wd altogether) I get the game fading in and out. When I go back to -wd it works fine (except that I don't like windowed mode as much). I'm running 8.1.
"The Navy has a moth-eaten tradition that the captain who loses his ship is disgraced. What do they have all those ships for, if not to hurl them at the enemy?" --Douglas MacArthur
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

Just say NO to windowed mode.

Sucks eggs anyway....destroys immersion.
Hans

RogerJNeilson

Post by RogerJNeilson »

Has to be windowed, so I can have tracker, notepad, database and myriad other reminders of my brilliant planning available on screen too....

Roger
An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released
BillBrown

Post by BillBrown »

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

Why do you say that? Create a custom screen resolution just a little smaller than your normal full size screen and use that.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: BillBrown

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

Why do you say that? Create a custom screen resolution just a little smaller than your normal full size screen and use that.
That's exactly what I do! It's a little shorter than the full screen so I can wee the Windows taskbar across the bottom and super-conveniently switch back and forth to other programs such as Tracker.

Return to “Tech Support”