routing units

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

Icier

routing units

Post by Icier »

A routing unit that has been completely cut off for 1 or more turn, what happens to it as it
just disappears from the game.
Has it surrendered & if so where is it recorded, cause nothing shows.
But don't say it keeps routing until it reaches a friendly hex, cause if so its stretches
the bounds of realism.
just think of it, a cut off unit, bashed by some nasty opponent, out of supply for @ least a week
(1 turn), a minimum of 30miles from the nearest front line & who knows how many nasties, between
them & the front line and able to keep some formation. [&:]

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
56ajax

RE: routing units

Post by 56ajax »

Should appear on the Losses Window, Destroyed and Disbanded Units. Mine do.

(Though why HQs and Airbases jump to safety into supply is beyond me.)
Molotov : This we did not deserve.

Foch : This is not peace. This is a 20 year armistice.

C'est la guerre aérienne
SigUp

Post by SigUp »

ORIGINAL: johntoml56

Because they are administrative constructs and not physically present combat units.
Icier

Post by Icier »

you are correct in what you are saying with normal initial routing unit, but (the big but),
if a) next turn you move next to a routing unit it jumps, but you gain nothing, no extra causalities
or equipment & if the unit has been routing & cut off & out of supply it just disappears from what I can see.

If you check your battle reports, which I understand feeds your losses record..there is no mention
of you making the routing unit jump.
56ajax

Post by 56ajax »

ORIGINAL: SigUp

ORIGINAL: johntoml56

Because they are administrative constructs and not physically present combat units.
Not physically present combat units? what about the support units attached to a HQ? and when you bump them they do a relocate with minimal attrition eg 1% - 2%; may as well go around them and let your opponent tire themselves out moving them....

C'est la guerre aérienne
56ajax

Post by 56ajax »

ORIGINAL: Ice

you are correct in what you are saying with normal initial routing unit, but (the big but),
if a) next turn you move next to a routing unit it jumps, but you gain nothing, no extra causalities
or equipment & if the unit has been routing & cut off & out of supply it just disappears from what I can see.

If you check your battle reports, which I understand feeds your losses record..there is no mention
of you making the routing unit jump.

I think the following is correct

1. Routed units out of supply surrender when bumped by the enemy. They do not do battle so will not appear in a Battle report nor is there any message to say they have surrendered. Thats why they just disappear. But they will be listed as a destroyed unit in Info Screens>Show Lossess Screen>Destroyed Units>'Current Turn' and their equipment losses are recorded in Info Screens>Show Lossess Screen>Ground Lossess.

2. Routed units in supply relocate when bumped by the enemy. Relocate is not a battle. Relocate causes attrition which is minimal lossess 1%-2% so there is no value in bumping a routed in supply unit. The trick is to surround it and eliminate it next turn.

C'est la guerre aérienne
Hermann

Post by Hermann »

go the event log it will tell you what happened to the routed unit.
Icier

Post by Icier »

sorry everyone, but for some reason I cannot upload a screen shot, but basically it was a soviet tank div (not routing) but cut off for 2 turns on top of 2 routing soviet infantry div which have been also cut off for 2 turns. When attacked it only reports the losses for the tank div in the forces engaged screen...ignoring the infantry & when you go to the losses screen it only increases by the tank div losses.
Its like when you play against the AI..if you cut off routing units in the 1st couple of turns & you send in infantry to clean up, they are gone.
morvael

Post by morvael »

If infantry units were unready or routed they did not participate in battle and won't be listed in battle report. Just like HQs. But they were most likely destroyed if there was no place to rout to.
Icier

Post by Icier »

But where does the losses show up?
morvael

Post by morvael »

They should appear on losses screen - destroyed units as well as add to totals of men and equipment lost.
56ajax

Post by 56ajax »

Under 1.08.08 beta

1. Bumped an isolated routed NKVD Reg; no msg, does not appear on Battles tab, but listed under Destroyed Units and Lossess are increased

2. Bumped an isolated routed NKVD Reg and routed Tank Div in the same hex; no msg, does not appear on Battles tab, but both listed under Destroyed Units and Lossess are increased

3. Attacked an isolated Inf Div, NKVD Reg and Routed NKVD in the same hex; Forces engaged reports Inf Div and NKVD Reg; Inf Div surrenders, NKVD Reg retreats and routed NKVD disappears; Destroyed Units increased by Inf Div and routed NKVD reg, entry on Battles tab.

So it appears to me that bumping/attacking routed/non routed isolated units is WAD at the Unit level.

However I do not have the expertise to determine if the total number of losses in Men is being reported correctly (as I am playing against the AI) and even if it is whether this is an issue.

C'est la guerre aérienne

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”