What Book Are You Reading at the moment?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

parusski

RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment?

Post by parusski »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

Finally finished Glantz's When Titans Clashed. I will definitely get other books by him - that was excellent [&o].

Books by Glantz himself are heavy reading, (Which I like). Those written with Jonathan House are as good, but less heavy.
warspite1

Interesting. I did not find this heavy reading at all - quite the reverse (that said its only one book and I have yet to read any of his other works).

I must say thought find it difficult to describe an author's style exactly and what makes an author readable and what makes for a miserable experience. All I know is I can get to the end of the first page and know whether I am going to be able to continue or not; Neptune's Inferno - awful, The Road to Stalingrad and Gallipoli ditto.

I have enjoyed all of David Glantz's books, but you like you said warspite1 "Glantz...heavy reading".

Currently I am luxuriating in Swann's Way by Marcel Proust.
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: parusski

Books by Glantz himself are heavy reading, (Which I like). Those written with Jonathan House are as good, but less heavy.
warspite1

Interesting. I did not find this heavy reading at all - quite the reverse (that said its only one book and I have yet to read any of his other works).

I must say thought find it difficult to describe an author's style exactly and what makes an author readable and what makes for a miserable experience. All I know is I can get to the end of the first page and know whether I am going to be able to continue or not; Neptune's Inferno - awful, The Road to Stalingrad and Gallipoli ditto.

I have enjoyed all of David Glantz's books, but you like you said warspite1 "Glantz...heavy reading".

Currently I am luxuriating in Swann's Way by Marcel Proust.
warspite1

Not me mate - I didn't find Glantz heavy reading at all.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

Finally finished Glantz's When Titans Clashed. I will definitely get other books by him - that was excellent [&o].

warspite1

The book you read is written by Glantz *and* House. Reading books written by just him have a different "feel" to them. More detailed, written for a different audience IMHO.

Don't get me wrong, I like his books. But I've yet to finish his Barbarossa Derailed, Colossus Reborn, or his Stalingrad trilogy, (Which is four books now.)

Trivia: Napoleon, well if the first page of a book bored him, he'd just toss it out the window of his carriage.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Operation Sealion - Leo McKinstry

A decent read although a little superficial in places.

wings7

Post by wings7 »

Robert, you must have a library and study at home! [:)]
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: wings7

warspite1

Books - history books - are my passion [:)] I have a lot of paperbacks and secondhand books which helps stretch a limited budget. Oh, and I send Mrs W and the kids out to work to help pay for it.

wings7

Post by wings7 »

warspite1

Books - history books - are my passion [:)] I have a lot of paperbacks and secondhand books which helps stretch a limited budget. Oh, and I send Mrs W and the kids out to work to help pay for it.

I can see your passion being translated in you terrific writing! [8D]
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
Orm

Post by Orm »

Just a few days before the yearly book sale begins. Unfortunately there newer are any history books in English on sale. But I suspect I might be buying a lot of books anyway. [:)]
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

warspite1

warspite1

Fanks. I pride meself on my Englush.

wings7

Post by wings7 »

warspite1

warspite1

That reminds me of that John we all know's writing "In His Own Write" & "A Spaniard in the Works". Have you read them?
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

warspite1

That reminds me of that John we all know's writing "In His Own Write" & "A Spaniard in the Works". Have you read them?
warspite1

No - I've never heard of them so just googled Spaniard in the works and.... its John Lennon. Well I never...

wings7

Post by wings7 »

warspite1

warspite1

No - I've never heard of them so just googled Spaniard in the works and.... its John Lennon. Well I never...

You will enjoy them! [8D]
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

The Franco-Prussian War by H.M. Hozier. 2 volumes. .99cents each for the Kindle.
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

The Franco-Prussian War by H.M. Hozier. 2 volumes. .99cents each for the Kindle.
I like Geoffrey Wawro's book.
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

ORIGINAL: Zorch

I like Geoffrey Wawro's book.

I have von Moltke's.
Toby42

Post by Toby42 »

Robert Conroy's 1920: America's Great War!
Tony
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: loki100

Project Fear by Joe Pike. His partner was a significant organiser in the pro-UK 'Better Together' campaign in Scotland's independence campaign in 2014 and he had pretty good access to all the significant individuals (from both sides).

However, the book is actually very funny and well balanced - as a picture of 'politics for real' rather than 'politics as it is pretended to be'. Its a bit parochial (as you'd expect) but I think its essentially a reflection of any real political campaign and all the antics.

.... Will then start "Soviet Naval Operations in the Great Patriotic War 1941-45". From glancing through this it looks like a propaganda leaflet! But at least it gives me a chance to learn about a subject that gets little to no mention elsewhere.

it is, if you can find it Kluge's The Soviets as Naval Opponents, 1941-45 is much better. Its from the German perspective but I don't think there are any decent books from the Soviet point of view that have been translated. Glancing it at, Kluge seems fair in his comments
warspite1

I could not find it so I removed the author's name and it came up on Amazon (the author was Ruge!). Ordered, thanks for the tip.
warspite1

...and it arrived today [:)] Look forward to this as soon as Sealion is done.

Orm

Post by Orm »

Reading something different now. Me Before You by Jojo Moyes. Feels refreshing. [:)]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Me_Before_You
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
nicwb

Post by nicwb »

"Fighters in the Shadows" - a new history of the French Resistance by Robert Gildea
Moltke71

Post by Moltke71 »

Death of the Wehrmacht by Robert Citino.
Jim Cobb

Return to “General Discussion”