D+12 air offensive - worth a tweak?

VR designs has been reinforced with designer Cameron Harris and the result is a revolutionary new operational war game 'Barbarossa' that plays like none other. It blends an advanced counter pushing engine with deep narrative, people management and in-depth semi-randomized decision systems.

Moderators: Vic, lancer

Steve110

D+12 air offensive - worth a tweak?

Post by Steve110 »

Hi,

Playing the Soviets and having just been on the end of stonking -31 global activation modifier on 26th June curtesy of Herr Goring's Luftwaffe, do people think there is mileage in amending this particular item slightly?

Reading a previous thread it seems generally people think its a no brainer to pick - certainly in PBEM, and its easy to see why.

I was thinking - is it possible to change it so the modifier is calculated separately by theatre (AGN, AGC & AGS) each turn? This could reflect low cloud cover over Poland but clear skies over Ukraine, differing responses by Soviet Front Marshalls to get counter measures in place etc.

I know its variable, and could have almost no effect at all, but even avg effects are in the -17 or -19 range and it just feels like at the moment its a potential hammer blow across the whole frontline that can undo anything the Soviet player tries to get activations going, at no real cost to the German player.

Cheers
Steve
FeurerKrieg

RE: D+12 air offensive - worth a tweak?

Post by FeurerKrieg »

I like this idea from a 'realism' point of view, but one problem I can see is that in PBEM, the consensus seems to be that the best Russian strategy is to withdraw. The only hope the Germans currently have of creating any larger pockets is the lack of activation on the Soviet side those first three turns.

So, if there are fixes that give reasons for the Soviets to defend forward, then I'd be all for this. As is, I suspect it would just be used to pull back the frontier armies to defensible areas.
Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks
lancer

Post by lancer »

Hi Steve,

It's not so cut and dried here.

The German player only receives the ability to allocate Tactical Air Support (very powerful, especially in the early game) AFTER the air offensive is over.

They are trading Soviet deactivation for air support.

Doing it by theatres is possible but it's one of those things that adds little to the game apart from fiddliness.

Cheers,
Cameron
FeurerKrieg

Post by FeurerKrieg »

Not sure about others, but I think Soviet deactivation is much more valuable than TAC. If I could, I'd have the Luftwaffe on soviet deactivation for the whole campaign.
Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks
Steve110

Post by Steve110 »

I don't think I would go quite as far as Feurer Krieg in wanting interdiction all campaign, but for the first turns when the Soviets have hefty negatives from posture & surprise the brute force of TAS is no where near as useful as the Interdiction effect, so in that respect I agree the choice is a no brainer imho.

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa”