Broken Game in Flames!

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Auchinleck

Broken Game in Flames!

Post by Auchinleck »

After spending weeks playing a Solitaire Global War, fighting through the frustration of Bugs that were never there before the latest patch, like the ridiculous 65,000+ Axis Pilots Bug, and hundreds of Retrainable Axis Pilots. The game will not allow me to progress past Jan/February 1943's End of Turn Reform Corps/Armies Phase for the Russians, right after completing the Russian Production phase. The little green action button that you press to proceed from one phase to the next is grayed out. As if the game is not satisfied with a particular requirement. There's not a shred of logic to it. A player is never required to Reform Corps/Armies when none were ever broken apart in the first place. So again, there is no logic to the stoppage of play. And attempting to reload a previous save from an earlier saved game does nothing to avoid the freeze, once back to the problem phase that brings the game to the halt mentioned. I would have liked MWIF, if it had an AI and it was playable, I was very much trying to tolerate playing Solitaire, considering the almost pointless idea of playing against one's self. But the game is not even capable of finishing a game under even those extreme circumstances. So I say (and the game backs me up) that the game is unplayable, certainly not worth $99.95, as a broken game, and I am chalking this one up as a bad purchase, that was over hyped by Matrix and the board game community, who didn't have to put up with such nonsense that the UNPLAYABLE computer version presents. For the rest of you Die Hards, I fear it will be 2085 before the one person 'team' working on this, could possibly get this game to where it should have been before it was released to the public.
bo

RE: Broken Game in Flames!

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: Auchinleck

After spending weeks playing a Solitaire Global War, fighting through the frustration of Bugs that were never there before the latest patch, like the ridiculous 65,000+ Axis Pilots Bug, and hundreds of Retrainable Axis Pilots. The game will not allow me to progress past Jan/February 1943's End of Turn Reform Corps/Armies Phase for the Russians, right after completing the Russian Production phase. The little green action button that you press to proceed from one phase to the next is grayed out. As if the game is not satisfied with a particular requirement. There's not a shred of logic to it. A player is never required to Reform Corps/Armies when none were ever broken apart in the first place. So again, there is no logic to the stoppage of play. And attempting to reload a previous save from an earlier saved game does nothing to avoid the freeze, once back to the problem phase that brings the game to the halt mentioned. I would have liked MWIF, if it had an AI and it was playable, I was very much trying to tolerate playing Solitaire, considering the almost pointless idea of playing against one's self. But the game is not even capable of finishing a game under even those extreme circumstances. So I say (and the game backs me up) that the game is unplayable, certainly not worth $99.95, as a broken game, and I am chalking this one up as a bad purchase, that was over hyped by Matrix and the board game community, who didn't have to put up with such nonsense that the UNPLAYABLE computer version presents. For the rest of you Die Hards, I fear it will be 2085 before the one person 'team' working on this, could possibly get this game to where it should have been before it was released to the public.

Hmmm I wonder if my NDS is now invalid, hmm better not think like that as that could be considered treason by some people[:(]

Bo
Auchinleck

Post by Auchinleck »

I don't understand what 'NDS' stands for Bo. You'll have to clue me. I think my posts of frustration are well founded. Because if the game could be finished, and it was playable as the designers intended, it would be a a very good if not not addictive Computer War Game, that covers one of the better Genres of war games overall (in my once I've calmed down, humble opinion) A strategic level game covering the entire war of WWII.
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

I have seen this kind of problem or ones like it and it is frustrating and I don't know if this will work for you, but try selecting one of your corps (that can break down if not playing with Unlimited Breakdown) and then a different one or just click back on the map without breaking a unit down. That may cause the green end-of-phase button to illuminate. Sometimes the game seems to behave as though it thinks you are at least considering doing the activity that corresponds to the current phase.

Another example like this is when AA fire occurs and you reduce the factors of one your bombers - and yet the "OK" button remains disabled. You have to click again on your bomber or one of the other bombers you may have on the mission - and then the "OK" button will become enabled. Another example is once I had a debark units at sea phase without a green button. I had a unit that could debark but I didn't want to debark. So I selected the unit then hit escape to cancel its selection, and then I had a green light.

I have also (often) made the mistake of trying to perform an action with a major power without realizing the background color is actually one of the other powers. Then I realize I need to click the correct flag at the top to change major powers, or alternately finish with that power's units first. I'm not saying this is your problem in this case either, I'm just saying some of these really frustrating, seemingly game ending stoppages sometimes have simple solutions. Once you stumble across such a solution, an occurrence like this becomes trivial, and you just move on by without even getting aggravated.
Paul
Auchinleck

Post by Auchinleck »

Has anyone actually ever finished a Solitaire Global War without running into a Game stopping Glitch? I'd like to know their secret formula. lol[&:]
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

I think he may mean "NDA" or "Non-Disclosure Agreement". Bo, as some other beta testers know many interiorities of the testing of the game which they may not be able to share even if they may very well feel tempted to.

And I guess they could be flaming for us customers.
tacfire

Post by tacfire »

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

I have seen this kind of problem or ones like it and it is frustrating and I don't know if this will work for you, but try selecting one of your corps (that can break down if not playing with Unlimited Breakdown) and then a different one or just click back on the map without breaking a unit down. That may cause the green end-of-phase button to illuminate. Sometimes the game seems to behave as though it thinks you are at least considering doing the activity that corresponds to the current phase.

Another example like this is when AA fire occurs and you reduce the factors of one your bombers - and yet the "OK" button remains disabled. You have to click again on your bomber or one of the other bombers you may have on the mission - and then the "OK" button will become enabled. Another example is once I had a debark units at sea phase without a green button. I had a unit that could debark but I didn't want to debark. So I selected the unit then hit escape to cancel its selection, and then I had a green light.

I have also (often) made the mistake of trying to perform an action with a major power without realizing the background color is actually one of the other powers. Then I realize I need to click the correct flag at the top to change major powers, or alternately finish with that power's units first. I'm not saying this is your problem in this case either, I'm just saying some of these really frustrating, seemingly game ending stoppages sometimes have simple solutions. Once you stumble across such a solution, an occurrence like this becomes trivial, and you just move on by without even getting aggravated.

This. Sometimes clicking around on units and the map forces the screen to update and the button turns from grey to green, even if you don't make a new move.
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Has anyone actually ever finished a Solitaire Global War without running into a Game stopping Glitch? I'd like to know their secret formula. lol[&:]
I've completed three:

tm.asp?m=3677581

tm.asp?m=3885082

tm.asp?m=3924713

My "secret" has been you have to be determined to work through the occasional bug you run across, including asking for help from Steve or the beta team on the rare occasion that's necessary.

My advice is stay at it.

MWiF with all its warts is the most addictive, fun and accurate wargame that I've ever owned or played, bar none.
Ronnie
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

Where are the gamesaves? If we can't investigate bugs, they can never be fixed...

Peter
bo

Post by bo »

I don't understand what 'NDS' stands for Bo. You'll have to clue me. I think my posts of frustration are well founded. Because if the game could be finished, and it was playable as the designers intended, it would be a a very good if not not addictive Computer War Game, that covers one of the better Genres of war games overall (in my once I've calmed down, humble opinion) A strategic level game covering the entire war of WWII.

Jose is right it is called a Non Disclosure Agreement, or as I call it Non Disclosure Statement, in a way one and the same,[can't discuss the internal part of the game with the general public].[:(] Your posts of frustration are very well founded Auchinleck and totally agreed on at least by me.

Bo
bo

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: Joseignacio

I think he may mean "NDA" or "Non-Disclosure Agreement". Bo, as some other beta testers know many interiorities of the testing of the game which they may not be able to share even if they may very well feel tempted to.

Trully Jose you are one of the most honest and endearing posters that post here and I thank you for this very honest post and I am always grateful that we can call each other friends with total respect for each other, even though from different lands with different traditions.

Bo
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

ORIGINAL: bo

Hmmm I wonder if my NDS is now invalid, hmm better not think like that as that could be considered treason by some people[:(]

Bo

NDS or NDA or BS, talking about it implies there's some BIG secret that is being withheld from the non-beta customers. That is untrue and I wish you would cease and desist with it Bo. All the development decisions have been published on the main forum.

And the fact is the latest version to which the original poster refers is a public beta version. Yes it can happen that there will be a bug. With a saved game we can possibly find and squash the bug which will improve the game for everyone. But to flame the game because you found a bug in a beta version seems either disingenuous or naive to me. There is a public release.

Paul
alexvand

Post by alexvand »

Yes, I just finished one about a month ago. Lots of practice with the interface and the rules is a must. Sometimes you think it's a bug but it's actually part of the rules. (Land moves in a combined I'm looking at you!) Other times I just didn't understand the interface.
bo

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

Bo

NDS or NDA or BS, talking about it implies there's some BIG secret that is being withheld from the non-beta customers. That is untrue and I wish you would cease and desist with it Bo. All the development decisions have been published on the main forum.

And the fact is the latest version to which the original poster refers is a public beta version. Yes it can happen that there will be a bug. With a saved game we can possibly find and squash the bug which will improve the game for everyone. But to flame the game because you found a bug in a beta version seems either disingenuous or naive to me. There is a public release.

No big secret paul, not flaming the game I love paul, just simple frustration from Auchinleck, am I not allowed to feel the same frustration that he does just because I am a beta tester for 5 years. Will not mention the NDA again.

Bo
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi Auchinleck,

I'm sorry the game frustrated you to this degree.

Regarding the pilots bug - it had not come up before. It does not prevent the game continuing, but it has been fixed and will be in the next update.

Please post a save file for the issue that's preventing you from continuing. We would very much like to see that and I'm sure Steve can fix it if he can see a save file. Odds are good we can allow your game to continue as well, based on past issues where he has been able to help out.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
bo

Post by bo »

Thanks for jumping in Erik to help Auchinleck, coming from you an admin. sounds a lot better than coming from me. It shows you still care about MWIF, posters need to see that once in awhile, like you, it bothers me to see someone so down and frustrated, but unlike me, you have a better way of explainging things than I do [;)]

Bo
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

No big secret paul, not flaming the game I love paul, just simple frustration from Auchinleck, am I not allowed to feel the same frustration that he does just because I am a beta tester for 5 years. Will not mention the NDA again.

Bo
Thank you, bo.
Paul
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

ORIGINAL: Joseignacio

Trully Jose you are one of the most honest and endearing posters that post here and I thank you for this very honest post and I am always grateful that we can call each other friends with total respect for each other, even though from different lands with different traditions.

Bo

Return to “World in Flames”