Installing patch and directX 9.0c

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

tiger111

Installing patch and directX 9.0c

Post by tiger111 »

I installrd the last official patch and was promted to install DX 9.0c because of game engine requirements. I ticked OK to check for/install the DX 9 and all went weel.

When I d/load and install the newly realeased beta patch will I be asked to install DX 9 again and if so should I.?

Thankyou
morvael

RE: Installing patch and directX 9.0c

Post by morvael »

First installer that contained DirectX applied wrong version, so it is better to repeat this procedure. Installers for 1.08.08 contain correct version from the start, so I think it's enough to update once. However it won't hurt if you repeat the process, DirectX installer will skip up to date files, so it should be quick.
Mehring

Patch

Post by Mehring »

I'm afraid I find the substance of these changes dubious. While I was expecting changes like seeing the StuIG B, StuGs in mot. divisions, emergency HQs, a general rise in losses, perhaps other things discussed at length earlier, it looks to me that the changes brought by this patch can only shift the advantage even further towards the Axis. To effectively deprive the Russians of their AP after losing units is to destroy their command and control further, not enhance their ability to fight forward. The changes to combat, while clever, are designed to benefit high quality units and will punish the Russians further. Can I expect my German OoB to bloat to 5 000 000 in my next game, or have I missed something?
“Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man.”
-Leon Trotsky
morvael

RE: Patch

Post by morvael »

I think some TOEs were changed to use more StuGs, but Denniss will know better.

1.08.05 caused a general rise in losses, but it was too much from the point of generated resources (especially ARM), so they had to return more or less to pre-1.08.05 levels. Also, the ratio of losses was wrong, close to 1:1 due to high retreat losses (which were/are seen on this forum for a long time as major deficiency of the combat system). So I found a way to mitigate these for some groups of units and tests determined the best way to implement these (requiring experience superiority). Bear in mind in late war these will actually help Soviet Guards, Tank and Mechanized formations, as they will be superior to German infantry, and it will be they who will suffer less losses, very useful while doing hasty attacks.

Soviets won't be deprived of APs, since they will get those units rebuilt either for free (if you spend all your APs on the go, like I did every turn, changing generals, upgrading planes, building units and reassigning support, doing HQBUs) or for a half price you would normally pay (if you stockpiled APs for ahistorical mass conversion of rifle divs to corps on a certain date). All in all it's a massive reduction in AP expenditure, especially that this is tied to the fact that it happens only when German destroy your units. Which means you are in trouble, which means you need those APs for something else probably like leaders and reassignments to fix the front. It's a boon to see those units rebuilt for free. It removes another problem people had with the system - the so called AP crunch strategy. It didn't work IRL for the Germans, since Soviets were able to always rebuild destroyed units, it was a question of manpower and armaments, not some virtual APs. Alternative was to grant APs for destroyed units, but it offered too much freedom - you could spend them on something else, unrelated to army structure (and there was risk of losing APs due to 500 limit).

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”