Windows 10 solution

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Uncle Lumpy

Windows 10 solution

Post by Uncle Lumpy »

The following is only my 2 cents worth, but for me it worked. I upgraded to Windows 10 on my failing Toshiba laptop about two weeks ago. Even though my laptop was dying DWU ran fine on it after I enabled Media Player. Friday I purchased a refurbished Dell with Windows 10 installed. After re-installing DWU I began to experience a problem launching the game. The Menu screen would come up but when I launched the game the Splash screen (powering up reactors, etc.) would appear for a few seconds then disappear! No launch, no game. I followed all of the instructions in Eric's pinned post. Nothing. I followed all the other suggestions I could find in any other post, too. Finally I booted into Safe Mode and re-installed DWU with full Administrator and in Windows 8 compatibility. I also did the same for the latest upgrade of the game and DirectX (I saved my previously downloaded copies). I then started the game in Safe Mode and this time the Splash screen ran all the way through its "monolog." Unfortunately it didn't start the game. After exiting Safe Mode I attempted to start the game again. This time the Splash screen ran and the game started!! I'm only a few hours into it, but so far it's working. I have no idea if this is helpful or not to anyone.
I once heard there was a garage, which some said was air tight.
Blabsawaw22

RE: Windows 10 solution

Post by Blabsawaw22 »

Maybe just becuase you installed the Extras (XNA framework, DirectX etc..) in safe mode then it worked..

Now I don't have windows 10 yet, but when I do, the first thing I will do is install Distant worlds.. and see if it starts up.. And I think it will.. otherwise, You'll see me here complaining..

but glad it works...
Uncle Lumpy

Post by Uncle Lumpy »

What you say about Safe Mode installation is probably true.
Mongo don't know. Mongo only pawn in game of life. [:'(]
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

what do you mean with "Mongo".. ???
Uncle Lumpy

Post by Uncle Lumpy »

Great line by the character Mongo(Alex Karras)from Mel Brook's 1974 movie: Blazing Saddles. [:D]
lordmoore

Post by lordmoore »

ORIGINAL: Uncle Lumpy

Mongo don't know. Mongo only pawn in game of life. [:'(]

[:D][:D] Good movie.

Return to “Tech Support”