Commanders and Staff

Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The initial release focuses on World War II and includes a number of historical scenarios as well as a full editor! This forum supports both the original Advanced Tactics and the new and improved Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition.

Moderator: Vic

jarmenia

Commanders and Staff

Post by jarmenia »

I tried looking through the documentation but was unable to find anything discussing the commander staff limit. When I create a new HQ + commander, often times the commander's staff limit is something very low. An example of this is in my current game, a commander I just created has a staff limit of 26. I believe this means the commander can only command 26 staff. Since one staff equals one power point, does this mean the commander can command only a 26 power point army? That seems really low, I don't think I have a single unit below 26 power points let alone an army that low. What is the penalty for having an HQ with more staff than the commander's staff limit?

Am I misunderstanding how this works? Thanks for the help.
Tac2i

RE: Commanders and Staff

Post by Tac2i »

It simply means the commander can only directly influence (command effectively) that many staff, so the higher that number the better. It does not mean your HQ is limited to that number just that any staff over it won't perform its duties quite as well. An HQ can command any number of units but beware that any unit over 7 hexes distance gets no HQ bonuses. The closer a unit is to its HQ the higher the bonus it receives. The TO&E feature will try to keep your HQ at 100% of the required staff if that HQ has a TO&E template applied to it.

Info for Newbies
tm.asp?m=3677219

Tac2i (formerly webizen)
jarmenia

Post by jarmenia »

ORIGINAL: Webizen
the commander can only directly influence (add bonuses to) that many staff.

Thanks for the helpful link. I didn't see anything there related to the commanders though. What bonuses do commanders add to staff?
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

See my edited post for additional details.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
jarmenia

Post by jarmenia »

OK, thanks. So there is no negative penalty for having more staff than the officer's staff rating.
Philo32b

Post by Philo32b »

ORIGINAL: jarmenia

OK, thanks. So there is no negative penalty for having more staff than the officer's staff rating.

No penalty, but a loss of some efficiency. If you find that one general can command, say, 50 staff but in fact has 100 staff, from a staff efficiency standpoint you would get better results by dividing up that army into two armies, where each general's staff is within their staff bonus limit. Of course, other considerations may lead you to keep one bigger army anyway.
Kaldadarnes

Post by Kaldadarnes »

The TO&E feature will try to keep your HQ at 100% of the required staff if that HQ has a TO&E template applied to it.

I did not know that...thanks Webz [:)]
Omnia Videmus

Return to “Advanced Tactics Series”