Finally an operation granted

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Zap

Finally an operation granted

Post by Zap »

I know it seems weird to celebrate an operation. Best understood when considering the history. 2 and a half years ago I fell from the top of a tanker truck I was off loading. Was put on light duty for work. The First Stage was easy(the insurance cooperated). So physical therapy (didn't work) and then Balance therapy (I've lost 26% of my balance capacity permanently). Stage2 see a Neurologist if possible nerve damage(none).(some months delay as insurance denied request to see the Neurologist had to lodge a complaint to State board). Two MRI's revealed cracked vertebra.Stage3 see a pain Dr. pain medication given did not alleviate pain. Was then given an injection in the spine area(no success). Referral by 3 Doctors to see a Surgeon for an opinion rejected by insurance(a year passed before I was allowed to see Surgeon only after again lodging another complaint to State board).Stage4 The surgeon I requested was rejected by insurance (more delay and yet another complaint to the State Board). Finally, see the Surgeon, he recommends surgery (insurance denies more delay another complaint to the State Board). Decision by the State Board, get a second opinion. My request for a particular Dr. for the 2 opinion results in another rejection by insurance. Back before the State Board more delay (results in a compromise in which Dr. to see). After another delay I finally, see the Dr. 3 month later he confirms the first Doctors opinion. And that's where we are at today. The insurance may now fight to see who will do the operation but at least the big hurdle is crossed.

So you can see why jubilation.

zakblood

RE: Finally an operation granted

Post by zakblood »

well hope all goes well and fingers crossed either way, small steps but get there hopefully in the end, i know what it's like, took me 10 years
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

Considering my own current wait on a surgery, my thoughts are with you Zap. Sad to hear how long this whole process has taken you.
Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
Zap

Post by Zap »

ORIGINAL: zakblood

well hope all goes well and fingers crossed either way, small steps but get there hopefully in the end, i know what it's like, took me 10 years

Thanks, Zakblood I do as well. Heard a lot of negatives reports about a spine fusion but the alternative (not getting surgery) is bleak. Now I can only walk 15 minutes and I have to sit down to relieve the pain so I spend a lot of time on the couch in the prone position. I will take my chances.

10 years!!! just sunk in. That's a lot of waiting.
Zap

Post by Zap »

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

Considering my own current wait on a surgery, my thoughts are with you Zap. Sad to hear how long this whole process has taken you.

Going through the Workers compensation process can be like a bear on your back(think of the movie Revenant)
wings7

Post by wings7 »

Good wishes to you Zap! You are in our thoughts!

Patrick
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

i turned down spine fusion or injection in the spine and went for tablets instead, 16 years now i've been on them, i had meningitis as a child of 14/15 and had a lumbar puncture to remove some fluid, this went too deep and scared my spine and left me with arthritis in the spine for life.

the tablets over the years have destroyed or damaged my stomach, kidneys, bladder and also bowls, so it's a tough choice you face as either way it's you're dammed if you do and dammed if you don't.

time is one thing, pain is another, and have had more than both my fair share of either, so yes it's a long tough road your on so wish you all the best and hope it really goes well for you.
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
waltero

Post by waltero »

Let us know if you don't make it. [;)]
"WELL ~ Mrs. LIncoln,
other than that, How was the play?
Zap

Post by Zap »

ORIGINAL: zakblood

i turned down spine fusion or injection in the spine and went for tablets instead, 16 years now i've been on them, i had meningitis as a child of 14/15 and had a lumbar puncture to remove some fluid, this went too deep and scared my spine and left me with arthritis in the spine for life.

the tablets over the years have destroyed or damaged my stomach, kidneys, bladder and also bowls, so it's a tough choice you face as either way it's you're dammed if you do and dammed if you don't.

time is one thing, pain is another, and have had more than both my fair share of either, so yes it's a long tough road your on so wish you all the best and hope it really goes well for you.

Feel for you my friend, medications can eventually kill you for sure. Your situation reminds me of my Father who had to take a hormone drug that eventually destroyed his liver. He Died from the medication which was given to keep him alive. It did keep him from dying from his decease.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Sorry to hear this. I know you have mentioned the accident previously but I had no idea you've had to put up with all this shenanigans [:(]

I wish you all the very best Zap.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

Good luck to you.
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
Jim D Burns

Post by Jim D Burns »

Speaking as someone who has gone through close to 20 workers comp surgeries for different injuries sustained on the job, my recommendation to you is to get a workers comp attorney ASAP. They work for a share of the settlement, so do not let them talk you out of obtaining permanent medical for your injuries.

The cash award is less when you ask for permanent medical, but 20+ years after some of my first injuries occurred I can tell you things start to happen late in life that need more work on the injuries and you'll be glad you have permanent medical that covers it 100%. I'm going through more stuff now with the docs then I did 20 years ago due to the body simply not being able to cope with things the way it could in my 20's and 30's.

The attorney will deal with the insurance people for you and you'll have a lot more peace of mind. They can also expedite the delay tactics the insurance companies like to use so you can get treated sooner. The insurance companies are all about limiting pay outs and they could give a dam about your pain or getting your injuries treated.

Jim
Zap

Post by Zap »

ORIGINAL: Jim D Burns

Speaking as someone who has gone through close to 20 workers comp surgeries for different injuries sustained on the job, my recommendation to you is to get a workers comp attorney ASAP. They work for a share of the settlement, so do not let them talk you out of obtaining permanent medical for your injuries.

The cash award is less when you ask for permanent medical, but 20+ years after some of my first injuries occurred I can tell you things start to happen late in life that need more work on the injuries and you'll be glad you have permanent medical that covers it 100%. I'm going through more stuff now with the docs then I did 20 years ago due to the body simply not being able to cope with things the way it could in my 20's and 30's.

The attorney will deal with the insurance people for you and you'll have a lot more peace of mind. They can also expedite the delay tactics the insurance companies like to use so you can get treated sooner. The insurance companies are all about limiting pay outs and they could give a dam about your pain or getting your injuries treated.

Jim

Hi Jim, good advice. I should have mentioned I have a good attorney they have done all the hard work since the beginning. And your right, without an attorney it would have been a headache and it would have taken so much longer. I was 60 years old when the accident occurred so my body Is already showing its wear and tear.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Zap, look into micro laser surgery - did wonders for my aunt with similar spine issues.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
SuluSea

Post by SuluSea »

I've been fighting insurance companies for almost 20 years over medical issues. They have no scruples.
The problem is it just isn't the insurance industry that will stick it to you.
Peeps in the medical industry sucking off the insurance company's teat will as well.
Make sure your doctor is highly rated before any surgery is done. During after care (assuming you need care after the surgeon is done with you) try and find a doctor that isn't a fan of insurance companies or the very least neutral.
I've witnessed and overheard some cruddy things that physical therapists have done or said about their patients. I really don't know how they sleep at night.

Always keep this in mind as an injured worker. You are one person, one case, this is your only battle.
The insurance company fights many battles daily, sticking it in where the sun doesn't shine is an art form to
them. They have the money to play games and they will try to make you fold. Educate yourself, trust very few outside your inner circle and prepare for many fights over the years.

Also keep in mind the Japanese proverb; After victory, tighten your helmet strap

It's been ages since I logged in but this forum may help some.

http://www.workerscompensationinsurance ... /index.php

Of course an anonymous moniker on that site wouldn't hurt you if you need to ask questions.

Wish all good luck in their physical issues.

"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer
Jim D Burns

Post by Jim D Burns »

ORIGINAL: SuluSea
Peeps in the medical industry sucking off the insurance company's teat will as well.

You're not kidding, one of the worst injuries I sustained was the complete rupture of the Coracoacromial ligament structure in my shoulder. After 6 months of surgeries with a 9 inch bolt in my back, the doc who did the surgeries told the judge at the settlement hearing I was 100% even though the tissue that used to be a ligament was now a huge ball of scar tissue. The judge simply laughed at him, but had he listened to him instead I'd have been totally screwed, so I lucked out and got a good judge.

Had the doc been honest in his testimony he probably would have lost the business the insurance company sends his way. The whole system is skewed towards the insurance companies and needs to be overhauled.

Jim
Zap

Post by Zap »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Zap, look into micro laser surgery - did wonders for my aunt with similar spine issues.

The type of surgery is set already. It will be a 4 hour ordeal. They enter through my back take out one disk and replace it with a plastic spacer. Drill four holes In the v2 vertebra screws placed In. Then they turn me over enter through the front inserting a metal tube around the spine then bolt it to the bolts that were drilled Into the vertebra.
Zap

Post by Zap »

ORIGINAL: Jim D Burns

You're not kidding, one of the worst injuries I sustained was the complete rupture of the Coracoacromial ligament structure in my shoulder. After 6 months of surgeries with a 9 inch bolt in my back, the doc who did the surgeries told the judge at the settlement hearing I was 100% even though the tissue that used to be a ligament was now a huge ball of scar tissue. The judge simply laughed at him, but had he listened to him instead I'd have been totally screwed, so I lucked out and got a good judge.

Had the doc been honest in his testimony he probably would have lost the business the insurance company sends his way. The whole system is skewed towards the insurance companies and needs to be overhauled.

Jim

That's why I have my lawyers choose the doctors. They know who is fair and whos in the pocket of the insurance company. But even then, the list of doctors the insurance provides gets dwindled down. As they eliminate those they don't like. Leaving the patient a small choice.
Jim D Burns

Post by Jim D Burns »

ORIGINAL: Zap
That's why I have my lawyers choose the doctors.

It all came down to contracts with the city and the and the police union. I was obliged to see the city physician and go to the surgeons he recommended in order to stay within the rules of the contract at the time.

Jim
Zap

Post by Zap »

I've been fighting insurance companies for almost 20 years over medical issues. They have no scruples.
Make sure your doctor is highly rated before any surgery is done. During after care (assuming you need care after the surgeon is done with you) try and find a doctor that isn't a fan of insurance companies or the very least neutral.
I've witnessed and overheard some cruddy things that physical therapists have done or said about their patients. I really don't know how they sleep at night.

Always keep this in mind as an injured worker. You are one person, one case, this is your only battle.
The insurance company fights many battles daily, sticking it in where the sun doesn't shine is an art form to
them. They have the money to play games and they will try to make you fold. Educate yourself, trust very few outside your inner circle and prepare for many fights over the years.

Also keep in mind the Japanese proverb; After victory, tighten your helmet strap

It's been ages since I logged in but this forum may help some.

http://www.workerscompensationinsurance ... /index.php

Of course an anonymous moniker on that site wouldn't hurt you if you need to ask questions.

Wish all good luck in their physical issues.

The overhaul is really needed! The system allows for the insurance to pull off a lot off tactics (and they are within the present guidelines) we would classify as underhanded. Because you so correctly stated the patient is just another thing to them. Cost containment is their MO.

Return to “General Discussion”