Time Flows towards Yasukuni - A Japanese PBEM AAR

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Anachro

Time Flows towards Yasukuni - A Japanese PBEM AAR

Post by Anachro »

[font="Arial"][center]Time Flows towards Yasukuni[/center][/font]
[center]A Narrative-based Japan AAR[/center]
[center]Image[/center]
[center]Opposing AAR (WARNING: German)[/center]
[center]_________________________________________________________________________________________[/center]

Hello everyone,

You may have seen me before posting in one of the main subforums as I attempt to learn this amazing game, which I only became acquainted with a few months ago. It's been a daunting challenge, but well worth it with much fun had so far.

Previously, I had been playing a Guadalcanal Scenario PBEM as the allies against a worthy challenger (and, more importantly, fellow beginner), Allenthalben. While I did not write it up in this forum, my opponent did happen to write an AAR of that match, which can be found HERE. Unfortunately, it is in German, so unless you are versed in that language, you'll need to use google translate. It works surprisingly well, however.

I won that match (not a surprise when you are the allies) and subsequently suggested that we try a grand campaign PBEM; we were both beginners and found each other to be quite dependable. My esteemed opponent however found the prospect of playing the Japanese daunting and agreed only on the condition that he be the Allies and I be the great liberator of Asian peoples from imperial oppression. I always wanted to be a JFB, so I figured this was fine and would get me towards my goal faster; and after a crash course on the Japanese economy, production, etc. I have now prepared my first turn and will soon be sending it to my opponent barring some final touches.

As I said, I am not an expert on War in the Pacific, so please forgive any mistakes I might make. All advice, suggestions, and questions as to my plans, economy, etc. are absolutely welcome. This will be a narrative-based AAR more focused on story then on the underlying game, but I hope at least through some of my descriptions you might get a general picture of the war. This is as much a learning experience for me as anything else. Any immediate tips are appreciated. Under the AAR title, I have also provided a link to the new AAR my opponent will be writing, but, again, it is unfortunately in German.

Settings
We are using DaBigBabes-C with the reduced shipping loads and the latest January beta. Additionally, PDU is Off, reinforcements are set to +/- 15 days variability, realistic R&D is on, USN torpedoes are terrible, and for some reason Allied damage control crews have the Harry Potter-esque power to repair things instantly with the wave of a wand.

Rules (Suggestions welcome)
1. No 4-E bombing below 10k feet
2. No moving restricted units beyond national borders without using PPs
3. No utilizing gamey things like Air HQs to get around PP cost for restricted units, etc
4. Don't pay attention to victory points, we fight to the end
5. No strategic bombing until after June 43
"Now excuse me while I go polish my balls ..." - BBfanboy
Anachro

RE: Time Flows towards Yasukuni - A Japanese PBEM AAR

Post by Anachro »

[center]Image[/center]

Imperial Japanese Navy HQ, Tokyo, Japan
IJN Internal Conference - 20 October, 1941

Admiral Matome Ugaki, newly appointed chief of staff to the Combined Fleet of the Imperial Japanese Navy, sat passively in his seat, committed to not reveal any emotion to those positioned around him. Today, this hour, was a time of momentous decisions regarding the foregone conclusion of coming war; and while Ugaki had deep, personal ideas as to what courses of actions should be taken, he also felt a deep sense of social responsibility not to reveal them and potentially cause his direct superior, Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto, to lose face. This was the Commander-in-Chief’s battle to win or lose.

This was necessary because Captain Sadatoshi Tomioka, main advocate and representative for the views of the Navy General Staff, had been lambasting the main subject of the day’s conference for the past twenty minutes. It would not do well for Yamamoto’s chief-of-staff to join in this opposition, especially when his relationship at the moment with the commander-in-chief was somewhat rocky, to say the least. Yamamoto thought Ugaki a drunk and outmoded.

“…and so, gentlemen, with all respect to Admiral Yamamoto, the gulf between the potential risks and reward are too great to allow adoption of so provocative a strike.

“In summary, three deficiencies are apparent in the Pearl Harbor plan:

1. It exposes the First Air Fleet to great risk in hostile waters with little recourse should the Americans discover it before outbreak of hostilities;

2. Enemy fleet dispositions, while generally known, leave uncertain the result even should the strike achieve surprise;

3. The potential for a decisive blow to the US battle force is mitigated by the location of the strike; shallow waters create the possibility of salvage of otherwise damages ships and recovery of the crew;

“Finally, I ask one final question to close that puts this whole ordeal into perspective,” said Tomioka “Why bother with such a strike when the anticipated American drive across the Pacific will bring them to home waters where we could more easily achieve the necessary concentration of force to reach a decisive battle?”

Ugaki exalted at this. He felt the same way. For the past 36 years, the Navy had been planning precisely for such a showdown. The American fleet that would inevitably make its way towards the Philippines and subsequently the home islands to oppose Japanese efforts and protect its colonial possessions. The navy had prepared for this to the exclusivity of everything else and Ugaki, himself a former captain of the Battleship Hyuga, relished the prospect of engaging the American fleet in a classic gun duel. Why the need to actively seek delay of this planned encounter at the outset of war?

[center]Image[/center]
[center]The Japanese war plans up till now, had anticipated correctly that the Americans
would drive across the sea to the Philippines. Through attrition along the way, the Japanese
would bring the US fleet into relative parity with the Combined Fleet and crush it with a decisive
battle. Unfortunately, by this time the US had made the collective decision to write-off the Philippines.
[/center]

The Commander-in-Chief stirred.

“Gentlemen,” he began, “I do not believe many of you understand the nature of the war that we are facing. I am no defeatist, but I have been to the United States, I have seen the great steel mills and car manufactories of Detroit—this is not China or France or Russia that we are facing, but the world’s foremost industrial power.

“If we are to win this war, we must strike an immediate and demoralizing blow that brings the United States to the negotiating table, we must attack immediately and decisively to demoralize the American people and impose on them the true cost and worth of interference in our affairs. More importantly, we need to wipe out the American carriers and prevent them from projecting any form of military power in the immediate future.”

Tomioka responded. “That’s well understood, admiral, but the potential of this attack to achieve what you are asking is limited compared to its risk, moreover—"

“Moreover,” interjected Admiral and Chief of Imperial Japanese Navy General Staff Osami Nagano, who had heretofore been silent throughout the conference, “the operation has the potential of doing exactly the opposite of what you seek. Attacking Pearl Harbor could very well inflame the passions of the Americans, making bringing them to the table an even harder prospect.”

Nagano continued, “We have already accepted the notion that the United States must be attacked in addition to the Dutch and British, but this I cannot agree to. The Air Fleet is needed to provide cover to our Southern Operation and I believe will do more good strategically in this endeavor.”

Yamamoto responded tersely. “Admiral, I have made my views very clear previously…if this operation is not approved, I see no point in continuing on as commander of the Combined Fleet. I’ll—“

“Now, now, Admiral,” cut in Nagano soothingly, “I did not say I wholly disapproved of the notion of an opening strike.” His face broke out into a wry smile. “You will get your wish, but the location will have to be different.”

At this statement, Yamamoto looked over to Nagano and ruminated out loud.

“Manila.”

“Yes, Manila,” agreed Nagano. “This will allow us to simultaneously strike a blow against the Americans, known to station an extensive submarine fleet there, while moving quickly to support our southern movements; it is more in support of our strategic initiatives.” He continued, “Additionally we have reports of British capital ships operating in Malaya, as you know, and we will need to move to ensure these do not cause disruptions for our invasion timetables.”

[center]Image[/center]
[center]Manila was the main base of the United States Asiatic Fleet and one of the primary obstacle to Japanese plans[/center]

“Yes, but it does nothing to stifle the power projection capabilities of the Americans. This will become clear soon enough and—“

“Admiral,” Nagano cut in, “it is decided.”

At this, Yamamoto could only brood furiously. A power player in Japanese politics, he was used to getting his way and was wholly unaccustomed to being denied. Unexpectedly this time, he had pushed too far in trying to impose his will upon the fleet and Nagano was uncharacteristically opposed. Combined Fleet would be subordinate to General Headquarters for now.

Ugaki silently exalted at this. It was a proper putting-in-place for a man who had been so inappropriately unorthodox. There was a common Japanese saying, The nail that sticks out gets hammered down. It certainly applied to what was needed for Yamamoto, in Ugaki’s opinion. The Commander-in-Chief had been too dismissive in his opinions on the utility of the battle fleet vis-à-vis air power and had insulted many senior officers in the process, Ugaki included. Moreover, while Ugaki was prone to drinking like any member of the Japanese armed forced, Yamamoto was scandalously drawn to geishas and illicit play—altogether inappropriate for a senior member of His Majesty’s forces. Such play was not uncommon, but Yamamoto was very public about his proclivities and his mistresses well-known. That was the real crime.

Ugaki, in contrast, was a typically stern, orthodox officer. However, he also had a deep sensitivity and surprisingly philosophical nature. At times, this bordered on mysticism. Ugaki appreciated the history and cultural structure of Japan, fully believing in the superiority of the Yamato race and his own role in its divine mission. He was also a deeply religious man that often made trips Shinto Shrines and read ancient Buddhist texts; and this religious fervor spilled over into his philosophy on war, which was inherently fatalistic. On the radio, there was a popular song:

You and I are cherry blossoms,
Having bloomed, we’re resolved to die
But we’ll meet again at Yasukuni
Blooming on the same treetop.

Ugaki had often been to Yasukuni, he had passed beneath its great torii and stood before the great wooden shrine to Japan’s war dead. He was also a greater admirer of the Meiji-era general Maresuki Nogi, who had famously committed suicide on the day of the emperor’s funeral so as not to outlive his master. Ugaki, too, yearned for such a death, and often mused that if his soul could one day rest at Yasukuni, then he would be content.

Now, he would have his opportunity. However, such a journey would not begin in the blue waters of the Central Pacific, but amid the warmer climes to the South.

Seaweed of War
Date of Entry: October 20th, 1941

And so it is decided! The die is cast and a blow will finally be brought against the enemy. I approach the coming fight with trepidation, but also a deep sense of fulfillment. Every man shall do his utmost and the soft underbelly of the enemy will quickly be exposed before our might. The opening moves are precarious, but general success it expected.

To: Distribution List for Combined Fleet
Subject: TG-2

Primary dispositions are as follows:
a. Support the invasion forces in the South-East by pushing enemy strength away from the Malay Barrier, through the capture of Singapore, and other areas with area-denial utility;

b. Prepare to capture and establish control over the Philippines and Southern Areas with primary attention paid to such positions as to achieve local air superiority;

c. Destroy enemy sea communications by capturing or destroying vessels trading directly or indirectly with the enemy.
John B.

Post by John B. »

Very interesting. I have only played the allies so take my suggestions for what they are worth. Here are a couple of options on the House Rules:

1. Our rule is that anyone can go into Burma (no need to expend PP) since it was pretty much a cockpit throughout the war.

2. No carrier hunting on Dec. 7 or 8 (i.e. you can't streak towards the known carrier deployments of the USN on the first two days.) Actually, I think this should work both ways and the USN should not be allowed to send out a mass surface attack on the KB off of pearl on Dec. 8th since, in real life, they had no idea where the carriers were.

3. No strat bombing of Chinese cities (China is so weak in terms of supply already and you're likely to cut off Burma that it's hard for it to survive on no supply).

4. Night bombing is only allowed for planes with radars (at all times) or if the moonlight is 50% or more. And, 4E bombers may only night bomb cities or lay mines.

5. Allied ships may have moves plotted for the first turn (which means that the PoW and Repulse get away) but they may not put planes on any missions unless they start out that way (means your initial strike at Pearl or Manila is much more effective).

I'm sure that there are others, but those come to mind right now.

Good luck!

John
John Barr
Anachro

Dec 7th, 1941

Post by Anachro »

Hashira-jima, Hiroshima, Japan
Battleship Nagato - 7 December, 1941

Admiral Yamamoto stood near the porthole in his cramped cabins aboard the Nagato—Hotel Yamato as some were starting to call the future luxurious flagship would not be available for a few more months—looking out upon the calm waters of Hashira-jima as the opaque depths of night slowly gave way before the first rays of morning. Sitting silently nearby, the poetic nature of it all was not lost upon Ugaki. The sun was rising—a fitting moment to describe the magnitude of current events. Months and years of confusion had finally been banished by the clarity of the present; and now, the land of the rising sun was setting out to strike a blow from which the very world would tremble.

Normally, nerves betrayed a man is such situations; and yet, the commander-in-chief remained inscrutably composed in his solitude, barring brief pleasantries exchanged with the orderlies as they stopped by. Ugaki could not help but be impressed by it. He was reminded of concept of wabisabi so often stressed within the ceremonies surrounding chanoyu, only this time it was not the simplicity and subdued refinement of hospitality on display, but something of far greater importance. Yamamoto remained above the fray. Not unconcerned by it, of course, but admirably unmoved.

For his part, Ugaki was quite happy to admit to himself his own deficiencies. The day previous had had its bouts of pacing and fidgeting. Not infrequently had he played the potentials of today’s events in his head as he tried to rest in his futon. However, on the whole, he was satisfied. While absolute preparedness could never be achieved, the movement of the fleet had been exorbitantly planned and, for the moment, the actions of this first day seemed assured of success. Moreover, Ugaki had been agonizing over the communique to send out to those engaged in the southern operations, drafting and re-drafting a message that above all needed to expound strength and resolution. Altogether, he believe he had achieved this.

Now, all that was left was to await the result. Yamamoto continued to stand as if in trance, looking out into the depths of his own soul, but Ugaki, as time went by, grew somewhat restless and walked out to take a smoke and catch some air. While outside, Ugaki’s thoughts, like Yamamoto’s, turned inward. The coming war would not be easy—he knew that—and some trepidation shamefully remained, but he was committed. The kokutai had to be defended and transgressions of the United States through its cowardly embargo, and the European powers through their mere presence, could not be overlooked. However, Ugaki also reflected on the state of things in France, where war was underway, the China Incident that the nation found itself unable to escape, and now the events to come today. It all seemed too much. Once could not be proud of human wisdom. But Ugaki was a soldier; and he would do his duty.

With these thoughts coursing through his mind, suddenly Staff Officer Akira Sasaki dropped by.

“Admiral, at 0319 wireless TO is being sent repeatedly.”

It had begun. Tora, Tora, Tora The attack order had been issued and already planes were moving in to strike Manila while submarines crept into Pearl Harbor. Ugaki moved to the operations room to observe events as they unfolded.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seaweed of War
December 7th, 1941

Fine, warm. X-day. The long anticipated day has arrived at last. I awoke at 0200 on my own had moved to attend the commander for any last minute needs. After confirming this, I was having a smoke when Staff Officer Sasaki hurried to me and reported that the code TO was being sent repeatedly.

I confined myself to the operations room and listened with attention to every telegram. The first one to come through was from the midget subs striking Pearl Harbor. “I have stuck the enemy battleship, believed Maryland, with great war result” came through before contact was lost, but subsequent enemy chatter picked up confirmed a likely hit. So the subs had come through and struck a blow! I was subsequently disappointed when no other information on the other four submarines arrived. We presume them lost.

[center]Image[/center]

Meanwhile, while the Americans were at breakfast, Japanese planes came like bolts from the blue towards Manila. I can only imagine their surprise, but much confusion seems to ring out from their communications. Again, many telegrams came in. “Enemy airfield struck with great war result.” “I have struck enemy submarine with great war result.” We cannot know for sure the veracity of these statements, but assume them to be directionally true. A strong blow has been struck against the American’s Asiatic fleet. We had hoped to catch what few American capital ships are reputedly in the Philippines, but they appear to not be stationed at Manila Bay. We can only hope they do not disrupt future operations. The First Air Fleet will be positioned for a second strike, hoping to catch stragglers that stick around with the goal of eliminating as many submarines as possible.
Morning Air attack on Manila , at 79,77

Weather in hex: Clear sky

Raid spotted at 36 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 13 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 90
B5N2 Kate x 143
D3A1 Val x 134

Japanese aircraft losses
D3A1 Val: 1 damaged

Allied Ships
DD Pope, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
SS Snapper, Bomb hits 1
PT-41, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
SS Stingray, Bomb hits 3, heavy damage
AM Quail, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
AVD Childs, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
SS S-38, Bomb hits 2, and is sunk
TK Gertrude Kellogg, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires
TK Mindanao, Bomb hits 1, on fire
SS Swordfish, Bomb hits 2, heavy damage
xAK Si Kiang, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires
xAKL Corregidor, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
SS Skipjack, Bomb hits 2
xAP Rochambeau, Bomb hits 2, on fire
AV Langley, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD John D. Ford, Bomb hits 1, on fire
SS Sargo, Bomb hits 3, and is sunk
SS Seawolf, Bomb hits 2, and is sunk
SS Perch, Bomb hits 1
SS Sturgeon, Bomb hits 1
SS Seadragon, Bomb hits 2, heavy damage
SS Permit, Bomb hits 2, heavy damage
xAP Don Esteban, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
AO Trinity, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
SS Tarpon, Bomb hits 2, heavy damage
xAK Capillo, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
SS Salmon, Bomb hits 2, and is sunk
SS Saury, Bomb hits 2, heavy damage
xAP President Madison, Bomb hits 1, on fire
SS Spearfish, Bomb hits 1
xAP Neptuna, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
AS Holland, Bomb hits 1
SS S-41, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
SS Pike, Bomb hits 1, heavy damage
xAK Cape Fairweather, Bomb hits 1, on fire
PT Q-111, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
xAK Tantalus, Bomb hits 1, on fire
YO-41, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
PT Q-113, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
DD Peary, Bomb hits 1, on fire
xAK American Leader, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
AM Bittern, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
SS Shark, Bomb hits 1
SS Sculpin, Bomb hits 3, and is sunk
PG Isabel, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
PT-35, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
AO Pecos, Bomb hits 1, on fire
SS Sailfish, Bomb hits 1
TK La Estrella Caltex, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
xAK Yu Sang, Bomb hits 1, on fire
SS Seal, Bomb hits 2, heavy damage
SS S-37, Bomb hits 2, and is sunk
PT-31, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
SS Pickerel, Bomb hits 1
TK Hai Kwang, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
SS Sealion, Bomb hits 1, heavy damage

Allied ground losses:
10 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Repair Shipyard hits 6
Port hits 14
Port fuel hits 4
Port supply hits 2

On the other hand, our units succeeded in landing at Azzari.

I received a wireless message that the Eleventh Air Fleet had decided to postpone its departure for the air raids until 0800 owing to dense fog in Formosa, but it seems this attack was subsequently carried out without much interruption. Enemy air defenses were reportedly light, but more concerning was the lack of identified aircraft on the ground. Was the enemy completely defenseless?

In the Malayan area, our forces reported a successful landing at 1330. More importantly, our other landing at Kota Bharu has gone off without a hitch and the immediate defense by the British, while heavy, is not expected to represent a major concern. The airfield should be taken by the end of the day. Mogami took some bomb hits, but they simply glanced off her armor with little effect. The vaunted air power the commander speaks of might well be overrated. Additionally, we have captured the Dutch airfield at Singkawang, which should serve our troops well for air cover.
Japanese Ships
CA Mogami, Bomb hits 2

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x Vildebeest III bombing from 5000 feet
Naval Attack: 2 x 500 lb GP Bomb

Generally speaking, this is a great success—first come, first served.

Tonight the chief of the Naval General Staff sent us a congratulatory telegram upon our glorious victory. I put off our answer until we can get a better picture tomorrow on the one hand, and on the other this result should be counted, in my opinion, as a trivial one. We lost a transport today, but luckily it had already unloaded most of its cargo and troops; we cannot afford too many of such encounters in the battle that we are facing. Every loss is bitter.
Bif1961

RE: Dec 7th, 1941

Post by Bif1961 »

A HR I like is that you can only base PT boats up to the level of the port. So if you have a 3 lvl port and a base unit of PT boats are 6 then 6 X 3 = 18 PT boats stationed there max. Too many people use 30-60 PT boast at a lvl 1-3 port to use up their opponents operational points for bombardment Surface TFs before they can get to actually bombard the port. I consider that exceptionally gamey and will never play with someone who does not agree to a reasonable port lvl to PT ratio.
Walker84

Post by Walker84 »

Settings
We are using DaBigBabes-C with the reduced shipping loads and the latest January beta. Additionally, PDU is Off, reinforcements are set to +/- 15 days variability, realistic R&D is on, USN torpedoes are terrible, and for some reason Allied damage control crews have the Harry Potter-esque power to repair things instantly with the wave of a wand.

Well, you are certainly in for an interesting game going straight from a Guadalcanal Scenario PBEM to DBB-C with PDU-off. Sounds like you and your opponent get on well which will be a great benefit as time goes on.

Like the way you have started this AAR and I'll keep checking in. Feel free to post questions for the forum as the campaign game is a steep learning curve - especially for Japan as you have to move fast in the early months.

Don't forget to look at production in the first few days but be careful what you tweak as with PDU-off your choices of what planes to build are more restricted. You will need to produce a lot of Oscars throughout the first few years, for example, as some units only upgrade through this line until the Frank arrives...

Good luck and Banzai!
The most advanced nations are always those who navigate the most -
Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803 -1882)
Mike McCreery

Post by Mike McCreery »

ORIGINAL: Bif1961

A HR I like is that you can only base PT boats up to the level of the port. So if you have a 3 lvl port and a base unit of PT boats are 6 then 6 X 3 = 18 PT boats stationed there max. Too many people use 30-60 PT boast at a lvl 1-3 port to use up their opponents operational points for bombardment Surface TFs before they can get to actually bombard the port. I consider that exceptionally gamey and will never play with someone who does not agree to a reasonable port lvl to PT ratio.

Why wouldnt you just create a bunch of STF with 1 light cruiser and the rest DD's and bombard the port he chooses to do this to and shred all his PT boats?

There is a counter to almost every move in the game without creating a HR to prevent it.
kaleun

Post by kaleun »

Suscribed
Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu
Bif1961

Post by Bif1961 »

The game play was a compromise of reality and ease of play. Many issues are best addressed in HRs than to see what gamey issue will crop up and trying to find an equal gamey solution around them. I find it is always best to address issues before you invest the time and energy into a PBEM campaign.
Walker84

Post by Walker84 »

ORIGINAL: Bif1961

The game play was a compromise of reality and ease of play. Many issues are best addressed in HRs than to see what gamey issue will crop up and trying to find an equal gamey solution around them. I find it is always best to address issues before you invest the time and energy into a PBEM campaign.

I would agree that HRs are very much a matter of personal preference and many people seem happy to exist with very few in place. For what its worth, Apbarog and I use the following HR:

- PT task forces limited to having 8 PT boats.

This is more of a restriction for the Allied player but it helps balance the game-play in our opinion as the bombardment routine can be problematic at times, and stuffing ports with PT boats could lead to some unusual outcomes along the lines of TFs running out of ops movement points and being left as sitting ducks in the daytime.
The most advanced nations are always those who navigate the most -
Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803 -1882)
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

I don't recall the exact number, but PT boats cost something like 75-100 supply each to build, and that has to be from a TF that has large amounts of supply or from a base that has way over the requisite daily supply levels. This amount of supply is pretty rare at low level ports under development in the early game, so the chances of seeing the 30+ PT boats mentioned by Bif1961 are pretty rare. I don't ever recall seeing that many at one port in any PBEM AAR.

There is also a cap on the total number of PTs the AI will allow the Allies to "build". In the early game it is fairly low - something like 36 to cover all their hundreds of bases. The cap is raised as time goes on but again, I do not know when or by how much.

The 8 boats per squadron is pretty reasonable, and two squadrons per base would be a reasonable compromise on the number of TFs that could interfere with bombardments. Japan should be similarly limited in using the hordes of small craft like AMcs, 1-point PBs and CMs, etc. that they can create out of xAKLs and use to stand in the way of Allied bombardment TFs.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Anachro

Dec 8th, 1941

Post by Anachro »

Thanks for all the recommendations and thoughts, guys. I'll put them into consideration if any issues come up.

In other news, I'm also thinking of writing a simultaneous account closer to the action, maybe from a specific ship throughout the the length of the war (or until it sinks). Any suggestions?

-------------------------------------------------------------

Seaweed of War
Monday, December 8th, 1941

Fine, wam. X + 1 day. Telegrams of congratulation on the war results came in from the navy minister and the chief of the Naval general Staff, the army minister and the commander in chief of the Southern Army, but, just like last time, I did not hasten to answer.

The United States and England declared war against Japan this morning. A wireless interception told me the U.S. secretary of the navy sent the following to all ships and chiefs of U.S. naval stations:
The first treacherous attack of the enemy navy gave a tremendous shock to us who are in charge of war and the other Allied Powers. Our situation in the East has been dealt a blow and our precarious situation begs utmost attention. Now no time is to be lost. Our nation wants as many ships, as many guns and personnel as can be obtained, the sooner the better. Not a second will be lost in hesitation, Navy, stand up! What I have said is the real road the navy should tread and what our people earnestly want. Frank Knox.

How crazy this is at the eleventh hour! This means an absolute “knockout.”

My headache was the occupation of Kota Bharu. But, according to the Third Destroyer Squadron report, the landing forces are engaged in light return bombardment with the enemy, but we have little chance of being repelled. I was much relieved at that. Nearby, according to our subs stationed around the port at Singapore, there is little threatening activity headed in the direction of our landings; and while there have been sightings of enemy submarines in the vicinity, little result has been effected on our transports. Still, there is cause for disappointment. Laxity on the part of our air defenses allowed enemy bombers to slip through and put one of our transports to the torch. A regrettable fact!
Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Kota Bharu

Weather in hex: Light cloud

Raid spotted at 8 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 2 minutes

No Allied losses

Japanese Ships
xAK Asakasan Maru, Bomb hits 2, on fire

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x Hudson I bombing from 3000 feet
Naval Attack: 4 x 250 lb SAP Bomb

The real question remains: where are the British surface ships? One might have expected them to make an appearance—I almost wish they’d done so, but it may as well be logical. From our point of view, any attempt to disrupt the landings would be too headstrong. I don’t know if they know or not that subs, mines, several heavy cruisers, two high-speed battleships, and considerably predominant fighter planes are in the southern part of French Indochina. To think of such defense!

Given the lack of activity, our surface forces moved south to soften up Mersing in preparation of landings there in a few days’ time. Hopefully, with luck, we can cutoff the British forces still stationed further to the north.

In the Philippines, we launched a second strike on Manila. This time, however, we suffered greater attrition on Kido Butai’s air wings, but nonetheless much damage was recorded. The enemy simply does not have the strength, it seems, to oppose our concentration of air power. Four additional submarines appeared to be sunk or near sinking, with various other auxiliary ships heavily damaged.

In the Southern Philippines, reports from Ryujo indicate that a Northampton-class cruiser was caught near Siargao and torpedoed with fire seen on the deck as the planes were heading back. We cannot, of course, no if the result was decisive or not.

[center]Image[/center]

All in all, another good day. However, the air wings have been too reckless and are taking more attrition than can be desired. I have spoken with members of the staff to ensure the local commanders are appropriately taking account of risk in their missions. We cannot produce planes endlessly! We did, however, manage to torpedo and most likely sink an enemy tanker through one of these costly attacks near Singapore; we expect it is now at the bottom of the sea.

[center]Image[/center]

England and the United States must be in commotion now, but no other news but radio is available. Our surface forces stationed out of Babeldaob are now moving to intercept any enemy task forces moving south to extricate themselves from the Philippines. With luck, we can destroy the enemy's ability to significantly react to events for the foreseeable future.
Anachro

Dec 9th, 1941

Post by Anachro »

Seaweed of War
Tuesday, December 9th, 1941

Partly cloudy. X + 2 Day.

Our landings at Kota Bharu and Vigan have continued as scheduled and as of this writing should fully have established full control of the areas adjacent to the landings. In addition, Tarawa was occupied today with no resistance.

Not much to report. A submarine torpedoed a a transport ship of some sort north of Hawaii; a few cargo ships and a destroyer running out of Singapore were also caught by our planes and strikes recorded. No reports of sinking however. In Hong Kong, a British S-class destroyer made contact with the Ikazuchi and Inazuma while dashing out of Hong Kong and was promptly sunk with no recorded hits on our own ships.
Day Time Surface Combat, near Hong Kong at 75,67, Range 19,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
DD Ikazuchi
DD Inazuma

Allied Ships
DM Thracian, Shell hits 23, and is sunk

Much of the enemy's movements remain a mystery. The commander-in-chief has multiple times asked for any indications of movements coming out of Pearl Harbor, around which we have created a picket line of submarines decently out of ASW range. Other than some auxiliary ships, there have been no sightings of enemy combat vessels, much less carriers! It seems the enemy is content to sit and wait while their possessions in the east are taken. When shall the decisive battle come? What use is their battle fleet rotting away in Pearl Harbor? It would seem our estimations of the enemy's seishin have proven to be correct.

The Mobile Force is heading due west to cover fleet movements off Malaya and prevent enemy attempts to extricate its forces, as it now appears to be doing. Risk from enemy air power is viewed to be acceptable.

Enemy air strength remains active. The army claims to have shot down most of what enemy air units have been destroyed, but the totals are really largely in our favor. But in war, real ability is everything. Such a trivial cheat will be disclosed to all the people within a short time. Most of the air losses have been the army's as well! Who was is that struck Manila? Not the army.

As for the desperate efforts of those midget subs at Pearl, none have been recovered and it can only be assumed all are fully lost. My heart aches to think of that. I heartily regret that their immortal spirit will remain in the dark. Even now, I can recall the farewell party given for them here at Kure on the 17th of last month. The mottoes they wrote down in commemoration as well as their final group picture I still keep here within a drawer by my small desk. I hope one day to show these to the emperor in honor of such fine examples that we should all aspire to!

-----------------------------------------------

After concluding this entry, Ugaki took a moment to collect himself. In particular, he reflect on those brave souls of the midget submarines. What noble spirits! He could only imagine those final moments as steel collapsed and water rushed in to relegate their bodies to a watery grave. Terror, surely there was. But, oh, the glory. What glory! Now, their spirits reposed at Yasukuni, forevermore kami spirits to protect the homeland. Ugaki could only hope he himself was prepared to sacrifice as much in the trying times to come.
Anachro

Dec 10th, 1941

Post by Anachro »

Seaweed of War
Wednesday, December 10th, 1941

Cloudy, overcast. X + 3 Day. At dawn this morning, landings at Legaspi on southern Luzon succeeded. Reports had claimed that the defense there would be firmly prepared and the enemy reinforced, too, but the landing was made quite easily with no resistance. Fear is often greater than the danger. Indeed, the only danger seems to be to ourselves with some mishaps reported throughout the operation. Elsewhere, landings were made at Miri in British Borneo and Kavieng in the PNG area. Resistance in both places is greater than in the Philippines, but nothing that may present an obstacle.

[center]Image[/center]

We have caught what appears to be a submarine tender trying to escape south of Mindanao. It was subsequently sunk, a good thing as one of the commander’s primary objectives in striking Manila was to eliminate the enemy’s submarine capabilities. This should make the logistics of their submarines, which are already beginning to act as a nuisance for our forces, more difficult.

[center]Image[/center]

A Betty on ASW patrol out of Takao also reported hitting a Porpoise class submarine. I pray to god it was successful in sinking the enemy. Attrition of enemy merchant ships out of Singapore continues, but I need not bother with the details. Such things are already starting to become routine.

Onto more momentous news. Today, Germany and Italy declared war upon the United States. Now it has really turned out to be the Second World War. Everything connected with future operations and leadership of the new world order rests upon the shoulders of our empire. The whole world will revolve around our empire, which forms an axis. We must stress this idea.

Now the task that lies before us is to quickly consolidate our immediate gains in the Southern Area. Already, it looks that the Americans are content to wait things out in Pearl Harbor for the time being. We must use this opportunity to strike out, consolidate, and build an insurmountable fortress that the Americans won’t dare break themselves against.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hashira-jima, Hiroshima, Japan
Battleship Nagato

Ugaki finished his entry for the day and sighed. Things were moving acceptably, almost too fast to be believed, but he could tell the war was already beginning to take a toll on him personally. He hadn’t slept much over the past few days, trying to remain abreast of the events constantly unfolding all around him. Successes were constant, but that only made his efforts all the more urgent and nerve-wracking. Any failure that might disrupt the flow of good news would be reflected on him. Writing in the journal was a soothing respite from it all.

Suddenly a loud knocking noise came from outside the door to his study.
“Come in.”

The handle turned and the door swung open to reveal Staff Office Sasaki march in. Ugaki smiled at the familiar face.

“Ah, Sasaki. Here to catch a smoke?”

Sasaki shook his head. “The day’s final operational reports, sir.”

Ugaki took the reports from Sasaki’s outstretched hands and began going through them. Normally, Sasaki would have left right away if he had nothing else for Ugaki, but this night he unusually remained standing by. Ugaki looked back up.

“Anything else, Sasaki?”

“It’s that bombing raid the Americans conducted earlier today, sir.”

Ugaki frowned. “Go on.”

“It was the audacity of it, sir. Three—three!—bombers dared attack us on Formosa. Normally, this would be no cause for concern; and, indeed, the Americans caused little damage. Still, they took such a beating! Truly like flying fortresses!

“But,” he continued in a lower voice, “That wasn’t the most worrying part. Rather, it was their bravery. Those Americans flying those planes showed true seishin, not at all like the soft cowards we had been led to believe they were.” He looked at Ugaki. “I don’t believe the United States or its people will give in easily...and that worries me.”

Seeing the despondent nature of his friend, Ugaki got up and went over to grab the bottle of sake he usually kept on hand near his bed.

“What’s with you, Sasaki? This isn’t like you! Come,” he said while pouring two glasses, “drink something. You’ll feel better.”

Sasaki continued. “It’s just, we’re winning victories now, but these Westerners might be made of sterner stuff than we think…and that bodes ill for the future. If they don’t give in and give us a quick victory, can we sustain ourselves? Where will this all lead?”

At that, Ugaki could only look at his friend and smile sardonically. “That, my friend, only the gods know, but they shall lead us where they will. Our duty is to play the parts assigned to us like the soldiers we are…till Yasakuni we arrive.” He laughed. “But no use thinking of such things now. Sulkiness in moments of general exultation is nothing but impropriety! Drink, drink! And wash away your sorrows.”

Ugaki wondered if he was saying such things for Sasaki or for himself.
Anachro

Dec 11th, 1941

Post by Anachro »

Seaweed of War
Thursday, December 11th, 1941

Cloudy, X+4 Day. The last few days have been full of activity and as a result I've hardly slept. This is partly owing to the excitement caused by my feeling of responsibility and partly to that metobolin which Miyake gave me. In action, physical power is everything.

As a result, I attempted to take a nap, but during it the adjutant captain called me, saying there were guests. At 1030, the chief of the Education Bureau, Tokunaga, Adjutant of the Navy General Staff Kanome, representing the navy minister and the chief of the Naval General Staff respectively, with the chief of staff of the Kure Naval Station Nakajima, to extend heart congratulations. I said to myself, "Don't make a mountain of a molehill," but appreciated their words anyway. At the very start everything went quite favorably for us. But it is just a prelude; the drama is not yet on. I am not so satisfied with our initial results. They left at 1330.

The 144th Infantry Regiment successfully landed on Guam today with little resistance. Miri was also taken. Those are out of the way. Submarines in separate actions reported successful strikes against two vessels believed to be a transport of some sort and perhaps an oil tanker. Every victory is but one step down a long road leading to destiny, but we'll take it.

[center]Image[/center]

More importantly, it appears the heavy cruiser we had seen two days previous was still underway in an attempt to make a friendly port for needed repairs. Planes from the Ryujo discovered it limping along south of Mindanao and promptly put five bombs into its hull. There is no way it can survive. This is good news for our operations in the area.

[center]Image[/center]

The air fleet is heading west towards Singapore to support our operations there. However, it had engaged in some opportunistic attrition on the enemy along the way. Today, it reputedly sunk two tankers at Tarakan according to the pilots. I can only hope they weren't full, but it's better to deny the enemy. Our best result of the day, however, comes from our operations on the Malaya. In a daring raid, we conducted a mini-version of our earlier attack on Manila, but this time the target was Georgetown. A large number of enemy vessels are believed out of action, making attempts to extricate forces from the peninsula a harder proposition.

[center]Image[/center]

I read the newspapers since the 7th and got the impression that the people's mental attitude is rather satisfactory, but I fear their zeal will cool in the course of time. For the time being, they will not cool down, thanks to the splendid war results. But when the war becomes protracted, can our leaders and authorities lead our nation for as long as five or ten years, maintaining the people's morale and overcoming every difficulty?

Return to “After Action Reports”